shipping a motorcycle on Alaska Air

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by NorthernBoxer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    That's a nice lookin' rack you've got there, Mom. :1drink

[​IMG]
  2. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kawl mom your not only cool your Awsome .........

Legion only you would comment on the rack......on the Honda
  3. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mom. Glad you were able to ride the tall pig up here for me. Saved me a lot of hasstle at the end of my adventure. I hope I get to write my report soon and show you people the great photographs I got from my trip to Southern Utah on that thing; but my work schedule is a little hectic right now and I haven't had a lot of free time.

It's looking like a definite possiblility, however, that I will be making it to D2D and you know I'm going to take the honda for those sweet mining roads up to King Soloman's Dome! I can't wait!!! :slurp :thumb
  4. K9OFSTRIKEX

K9OFSTRIKEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started reading this thread because I am looking at buying a bike that is located in Alaska and was hoping to find an answer to the affordable shipping question so that I can see about getting it down here to California. Much to my dismay, I have found that the best way is to know someone :cry

So, I was wondering if legion or anyone else might be willing to send along the info you have gathered for NorthernBoxer so far so that I can give it a crack? Anything you can send would be much appreciated! :thumb

Oh, and one other quick question since it seems that most of you gents here seem to be from Alaska: The bike I'm looking at is a BMW Dakar, and since it's way up there in Anchorage and I'm way down here in San Luis Obispo I have no way of checking the bike out; so I was wondering if any of you know of a good place to get it checked out up in Anchorage? Any and all help is much appreciated! :D
  5. AlaskaRider

AlaskaRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am the freight claims manager for a large AK, lower 48, and Canada trucking company. So when your bike gets broke you talk to me if you shipped it with me :> Im not saying who I work for as this is not business.

Some thoughts.

Ask the shipping company or carrier what thier limits of liability are! Some air carriers will only pay around $100.00 even if your bike is lost. Some carriers will only pay 10cents per pound on used goods, this is a standard rate. Most Ak companies, or at least mine, will be fair. If, and only if, I can see that we did the damage I will pay the fair merket value on the item (see kelly blue book) If we loose the bike or I find a giant fork lift hole in it Ill pay, but keep in mind that, like most carriers, we have a per pound or per shipment limit of liability which we can leagally enforce.

Ask what the company limit is, ask what it costs for a "declared value" shipment which means you tell them what your goods are worth and they charge a higher rate but accept full liability if its thier fault.

Most companies ship used goods, personal items and household effects at a limit of liability of 10 cents per pound. They may look at the bike as such.

Read the fine print.

Most important!!!!! It must be properly packaged!

It must be properly placed on a skid or in a crate for travel. This means that the front forks must be strapped and tied tight so the forks are compressed. The front and back tires should have small blocks on the side of them so they dont dance out and drop your bike. If you do not strap down the forks and compress them, every bump in the road will translate to your forks. The forks will do what they do and the bike often bounces out of the crate and gets damaged. No sane claims person will pay a claim on a bike, concealed in a crate, which is not properly secured. Its not our fault some one shipped an egg in 1' cube box.

Again, strap it down at the handle bars, to the crate, compresing the forks so the have no "travel". Most important in front but also important on back tire.

If you ship it uncrated, do not expect to have full payment for damage. Read the fine print.

Take a few digital photos of your bike in the crate to prove its condition at origin. An old scam vs trucking companies is to put a damaged bike in a crate and ship it, then claim it was damaged in transit. Protect yourself with photos.!

look at manufacturer crate if you can. They have the packaging well done. The front tire is usually off, a good touch but not needed. The bikes tires are locked into a rut in the crate so the cant move about. The suspension is taken out of the forks buy strapping it down very tight. The bike, sitting in the crate, is not touching the crate at any point. Sounds odd but no matter how careful the shipper, the bike will bounce, if its touching the crate to begin with, it will be damaged to some extent.

5) A sad story. Someone had a nice Harley shipped through us inside a crate, allegedly made by professionals. At arrival the crate was opened and the bike was badly damaged. The outside of the crate had no damage. The bike had about $8000.00 US of damage. I inspected it and found that there were no blocks/chalks on the tires and the bike had none of the suspension travel eliminated by strapping the handle bars down to the bottom of the crate. The poor bike responded to all the bumps in the roads the way a bike usaully does. The problem was the bike was not being ridden but was stuck inside a crate and bounded off the walls for 5K miles. I had to deny the claim and tell the person to ask the shipper, in this case the person that crated it, for damages.

In conclusion, ask your bike dealer for an old crate, most will be happy to give you one. By crate I mean the Skid or pallet the bike is shipped on. Sometimes they also have the cardboard box for the top of it as well.

Ask the comnpany who is shipping it what they will pay you if it is lost or damaged! its not always what you think unless you read the fine print.

Take some photos of your bike at the time you give it over for shipping! have a newspaper in the photo to prove the date.

Of course the best answer is to ride it there yourself and have the fun of the trip:D
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Kuhl Mom & NBoxer had changed their plans prior to a lunch several of us had at Whittier a while back so the exercise was never completed. This whole freight issue has now been returned to the unresolved pile. Needs to be addressed, sure... but not urgently now so it'll probably be reopened when the next "for sure" bike move pops up.

Your best bet at this point would be to ride it out or have it relay ridden out. I'd recommend riding it but at $4-$5 a gallon and let's say 35mpg, a 2500mi ride from Anchorage to Seattle will still set you back some coin. Count that as roughly $350 in fuel plus a hotel or three and you can see that this is starting to turn into some money. I just had a pickup shipped up from WA and it set me back about $1700. That's about a grand more than I was expecting based on similar moves in recent years. The price of meat is going up... wildly.

The right way to buy a bike in AK from stateside is to build a vaca around it. Better yet, lay out a vaca and then buy a bike to make it possible.

As far as the bike goes; it probably belongs to one of us or is known to one of us already. Post more detail in a different thread and you might be able to get some detail fairly quickly.

7. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
  8. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
  9. K9OFSTRIKEX

K9OFSTRIKEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight legion and the heads up about the bikes. Should have figured y'all are a pretty tight group and there would be a good chance that at least one Alaskan ADVrider would know something about the bike.

Unfortunately I don't have time for a trip to get a bike up there, but I can't wait until I do get a chance to venture my way up to Alaska to visit my cousin or check out my friends hunting cabin. I hear your state is amazing!

ak, I was wondering about that first bike too... I have seen about three in the last month that claim to be Dakar's and yet have none of the tell tale signs (particularly the graphics). Best I can figure is that the owners are mistaken, they put a Dakar suspension on a standard bike and now call it a Dakar, or they did something bad enough to it that warranted replacing ALL the body work...

Unfortunately the bike I was looking to import was different from both of these. It was a very well farkled, low mile 2005 for around six and a half that got pulled off the market within two days of being listed! So, I am now back to square one :cry.

Thanks for all of the help gentlemen, I am always impressed with the nature of the folks here at ADVrider. If another Alaskan bargain shows up, I will be sure to ask y'all about it, if you don't mind (and would greatly appreciate a pm if you find a good one for a good price or know someone that wants to unload one).
  10. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
    (hijack on) maybe it was this one. my buddy just bought this low mileage, tourtech farkled dakar about 3 weeks ago, here localy. (hijack off)
  11. K9OFSTRIKEX

K9OFSTRIKEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang... That does look an awful lot like it... Well I hope he really enjoys the bike, I know I would have :cry ;)
  12. Alonebiker

Alonebiker WASABI

Oddometer:
    What is the fastest way to send by air your bike from Anchorage to Seattle?

The idea is to send the bike from Anchorage or Fairbanks into Seattle or anyplace near northern coast and then fly to get it.

I got in contact with some air cargo that I found in ADV.

Apreciated

ride safe ride far

:clap
  13. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Alaska Airlines is the only method I'm aware of. It's far from cheap, and you'll have to be a registered shipper to do it...which will take some paperwork. You can contact them for details on what is required. You can contact their cargo service at 1-800-225-2752.
  14. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    There are other threads in this forum that cover this topic. I have done it and youi DO NOT have to be aknown shipper. Anc or FAI will ship to SEA or Portland. You will need Hazmat permits, easy to get for $50 in ANC
  15. Cubdriver

Oddometer:
    Air ship
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I went to the Ak air cargo terminal at ANC INT and talked to them. Because a bike is hazmat, it has to go on a flight exclusively cargo. Also, you have to get a hazmat permit and there is a freight forwarder right down the block that does it for $50. They at AK AIR can tell you the name of that place. That was easy as long as you know the weight of the bike. AK AIR will weigh it for you. You have to drain the fuel, or run it out to near empty. the oil stays in. they will check your bags for other hazmat stuff, like gas cans and lighters. Each will require a separate hazmat permit for an additional $50. (of course you will throw the items out rather than pay it). They do not care if you have gear and I believe you are allowed to lock the bags, maybe they even require it. Of course all your gear figures into the final weight and they charged .63 per lb then, same now I think for "non priority". Check their website for the rates. It was easier than it sounds. They put it in the igloo. You pay for the weight of the bike PLUS the igloo, which you dont have to pay to rent or anything. Seattle and Portland are the only "cargo only" destinations they fly out of Alaska, and hazmat must be on the cargo only. My bike weighed ouit at 500 lbs exactly and the total charge was somewhere around 570 bucks by the time they add in the fees and other bullshit. It will go out "space available", which will be pretty quick UNLESS you catch the heavy salmon shipping season. I think the same rate applies from either Fairbanks or Anc. It arrives a long walk or short cab ride away from the SEATAC passenger terminal. They have hours of business of course, so be aware of that. Hope it works for you. It sure was nice when I did it.

BTW, I am not a "known shipper" and that did not present an obstacle. I got different stories on that, but in the end it was not a problem. PM me if youi have any questions. Dick
  16. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Interesting. They wouldn't let me ship just a tire without becoming a known shipper. Hmmmmmm, sounds like someone at AKAir was making it up ad they went along. :lol3
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    CubCrasher gets a special deal because he is a "known stripper." They'll do anything to avoid another disrobing incident in their offices.
  18. Buck760

Buck760 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have the time, Northland Services (not affiliated) will ship via barge for a very reasonable rate. I paid $323 SEA/ANC - I delivered it to their SEA terminal Wed 6/15, and they called me Monday 6/27 informing me that my bike was available ANC (the barge actually departed Friday 6/17, and arrived Sat 6/25, although they quote 10 days).

You put your bike in a 20' shipping container, and lash it to the tie-down points in the can (my partner, who picked me up at the terminal, helped me with the lashing - Northland does not perform the lashing). Very smooth, whole process took about an hour.

iPhone pic at loading - it looked the same at receipt:

[​IMG]
  19. Cubdriver

Oddometer:
    Wow, that sounds like a great deal if a guy has the time. I will bet their rate is even cheaper if the bike is southbound. And don't listen to AKSchemer.