Shipping Across Darien Gap: Discuss

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I went to one of Rene Cormier's presentaions about his RTW ride. His opinion was that the best parts of any adventure are the tough times. Instead of spending endless months prepping we should look to the horizon, find the darkest cloud, throw a leg over and head in that direction.
    Misery x Time = Great Memories
  2. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Señores Banana & Mark, you both make me laugh a lot, please continue like that. You make my day better.
    Well, your friend Marielito make me laugh too, but in different way…

"my office..." jajaja es muy bueno!!!!:clap
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Just so you know, I already always dress in a tuxedo.

This would be like the "extreme ironing" fad of a few years ago.
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It also helps if you show up with a sixpack of beer. I've done the beer thing and the pizza thing. Or if you don't bring beer with you, you ask what they want for lunch.

I just remembered that in Panama, when I fucked my starter and broke a tooth off my flywheel, and the guys at the BMW shop in Panama seemed super busy, I brought them donuts from the Dunkin Donuts across the street. I got a dozen, in a box, and I brought them into the shop, like, "Donut Delivery!" The best part was that the office girls also liked donuts. They followed me into the shop. Hot, cute, did I say HOT, office girls. In the shop. The mechanics told me later that it was a tie, donuts vs office girls.
  5. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    "My office" is my family members....not hired staff...they are helping me out. Nice to see the love on here. You all can continue to talk BS but I will be riding this Saturday on a real motorcycle while you all post in your under-roos.

I will post my RR and pics. As to the silent majority you all know Banana man is a trouble maker so decide what you will. Maybe one day we will both meet....it will be a YouTube moment for sure
  6. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want you to understand and for this to be your No.1 priority in your ride. " I will make safety my mistress on this ride". There you have it the only rule you need!:lol3
  7. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody. Not to interrupt the flow of highly entertaining backs and forths, but just thought I'd mention I'm currently looking into RoRo'ing my XT via these folk http://www.samericaxplorer.net and taking a passenger boat from Colon to Cartagena to both keep things interesting and avoid paying for a lot of extra room stays on either end. Still waiting for a quote on this, and if it ends up being feasible I'll certainly share the specifics here.

Otherwise I'll be showing up at a port or an airport somewhere, rather randomly, hoping for the best.. :1drink

Cheers luvs
    H

http://thefrighteningandbeautiful.blogspot.com
  8. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Lilbloody: I was quoted $600 for RoRo shipping, and $300 for mandatory agent from the same company (Gaston en Miami), but that was from Cartegena going to Panama. He is a broker that hooks ya up. Hope this helps......he is someone that knows what he is doing. He is air cargo my two bikes to Chile. When will you be down in that area?
  9. bananaman

Oddometer:
    :clap
  10. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    or put another way " I will practice safety with mistresses on this ride"
  11. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I think its fair to state that my safety is foremost especially when I have minor children but with that being said I don't want to make this thread about me. Later today I will post some shipping options that I have researched for others to follow up on crossing the Gap. :deal
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Planning to cross the Gap in September. :deal Waiting on y'alls findings. :D
  13. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    Ok........here is the raw data of some places that offer service. These are leads for alternative shipping from the sailboat venue. My wife called and for some we are still waiting responses. I will be in Colombia end of May and will post my headaches on line to you all. I fly out tomorrow.......Chile via Colombia from Miami! Get my bikes out in Santiago and down to Ushuaia!

I might even go by Girag's office for shits and giggles but not for Bananaman, but for the rest of you guys. I guess now I have to look for the proper place to post my thread of RR as to not piss off the ADV Purists! LMFAO! :lol3

1. Mahe Neutral Shipping
    0115714101055 - Angelica Ipagauta

Linemanager4@euroshipping.com

2. Mudinter
    Fernando Buriticar -011-57-311-324-3067
    Yolanda (57) 2-684-3979

3. Agencia de Aduanas Claric
    (57) 5 340-4420

4. Consolcargo

01157-2637122
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This is probably the dumbest post yet. It should be ignored. I'll buy a six pack of Balboa for anyone who finds that any of these are valid.
  15. Gabeslaw

Oddometer:
    I fly out of Miami to Chile today on the ride Banana-head said I never intended to ride. I will be posting my RR and pics as well .... as internet availability allows. Best of luck....when I get to Cartegena I will troll the docks for fun and see what the "walk-Ins" options are LOL! :lol3
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I've only been to Panama about, well, I'm Panamanian and I kinda live there.

As far as I know, the only way to get a motorcycle from Cartegena to Panama is by unreliable or inconsistent boat. There are good boats, like the Steel Rat and a few sailboats, but they don't have regular schedules. The local Cartegena hostels post current info. The ability to take motorcycles on board is variable.

The best flying option is from Bogota via Girag. You just kinda go to Girag's office. This service is not advertised. It's not perfect, and my personal experience was frustrating, but I learned an awful lot from it. With what I know now, I'd do it again.

Experience with other reliable flying options have not been reported on this forum. From time to time, over the last decade or so, inexperienced people will post things they've read or researched or heard from so-and-so. This kind of info has almost always proved worthless. There's nothing wrong with it, except there's nothing right about it.

If you're up for adventure, then the best way between Panama and Colombia is by boat. Cruthas had an amazing adventure on the Pacific side. It is possible to ride to La Palma, Panama, and from there get a boat to Colombia. I'm not sure how to do it from Colombia to Panama. I would not recommend the Pacific route with a heavy bike.

On the Atlantic side, it is still possible to ride to Carti, Panama, and from there hitch a ride on any kind of sailboat or cargo boat. Sailboat info is still available in Panama and Porto Bello hostels.
  17. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may be in the wrong section but I figure I have to start some where right?

I have heard many different stories about crossing the Darien in the last year or so and I am just wondering what the real deal is today? First I heard that you could go south on a boat but then nothing can come back north, (meaning your bike), then I heard recently that bikes on boats can't come into Colombia. What gives? Air travel may be faster but it is more expensive and I think you loose some of the real adventure of going by sea.

Also, if I can't ride the whole way down to Argentina something is lost for me.

Can anyone say for sure what is going on down there?
  18. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
  19. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  20. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jumping the gap would not even be a top worry list item. Dealing with the weather in Patagonia and any mountain passes you have to cross this time of year would be foremost! Does Harley make some kind of chain set for their bikes if so get a set just in case! And I don't mention this in jest either!:1drink