Shipping Across Darien Gap: Discuss

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Jun 6, 2008.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Screw in studs work better than chains. All the ice riders use them. You can stud a tire in a couple of hours. They make some that are super duper hard, so hard they'll bite into frozen asphalt and frozen concrete.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh And you lived in Panama Max.
    I've been to La Palma and it is not possible to ride there on any kind of road, unless you bushwack and cross rivers like you would crossing the Darien itself. However you can take a road off the PanAm out to Puerto Quimba where you then take a laucha from there across the inlet to the same river that flows from Yaviza to the Pacific. Right outside of Puerto Quimba is the ramp/dock where you load from, here looking up river toward Yaviza direction:
    [​IMG]
  3. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Most of us consider Puerto Quimba as part of La Palma. You're looking at your experience as a moto riding adventure tourist. I grew up there. My dad used to drive to La Palma pretty regularly. We call it driving to La Palma. Nobody drives to Puerto Quimba. What in the fuck would you do there? You park, then you get on a water taxi. The boat doesn't take long. Panamanians aren't as precise as Oklahomans.
  4. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    IDK hookers and blow with some cock fighting comes to mind:lol3 It has three hotels...
    [​IMG]
    Did you not ever make the drive out there with your dad:ear
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that but I am in no way ready to go now. My hopes would be that I could escape here in the late fall and ride down during the winter through central america and northern south america taking lots of time. Realistically I would be shooting to be in Ushuaia some time around the following Christmas but the Patagonia mountain pass comments are surely welcomed.

And hey what's this mess about a Harley ? :lol3

6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Puerto Quimbo, or La Palma?

La Palma and Yavisa each have hotels.

The cock fighting is only at certain times of the year. John got lucky and was there when all the houses have roosters tied by one leg to the porch, the tree, the old dead car.

Outside of La Palma you used to be able to find naked Embera. Now they have cell phones and wireless internet. You'll have to go into the jungle on foot to find Embera that still live naturally. Or take a tour. The tours go to the cultural villages where the Embera still run around naked.

In January my mom and my sister took a small boat up the Chagres to an Embera village. They live naturally, but the kids go to school every day, a school with a floor, and walls, and they wear uniforms just like every other Panamanian kid.

John, would you recommend going to La Palma and Yavisa?
  7. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was meant for Gabe who is about to attempt a record ride from tip to tip on a Harley Roadster! With the major eruption of that volcano it is likely to lower the temperatures in the region pretty quickly thus making the weather even more iffy!:lol3
  8. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are flying both bikes next Tuesday from Miami to Santiago because of Customs release. Gabe will enjoy a HD riding group from Chile to Paraguay , then in Mendoza Gabe and his partners will be heading south along the R-40 to Ushuaia.
    Border crossings at South of Chile were closed yesterday but it will be open soon as Monday.
    The damage is considerable but mainly to farms and Salmon pools. The Argentina side is the most affected now from Junin to Bariloche with ashes.

Weather still is beautiful but rain is expected in the next days. The ashes could get harder as clay.
  9. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Didn't think about that. Good luck Gabe!!!:freaky

10. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    La Palma

Puerto Quimbo had 3 when I was there

Depends on what you are wanting to do. La Palma has wild cock fights for sure:deal

I went down to Yavisa sans bike with the intention of finding some transport down the river to La Palma but I didn't have correct 'papers' for that kind of trip. Then went out to La Palma via PuertoQ and stayed a few days with some Indians on a long slow boat trip out to Mogue with the tide, they were only naked when doing their traditional dance and clothed the rest of the time. Was a fun trip out in the jungle for a few days, the little kids loved my beard:lol3
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Full disclosure: I've been a bunch of times to Yavisa and La Palma but I've never, not even once, spent the night. I usually stay in Torti. My dad used to stay long periods in both Yavisa and La Palma. He complained about the showers.

I've spent lots of time in San Blas. When I was a kid we would fly to Carti. I kinda like it there but I haven't botgered to go for a few years. My sister's husband was there in January. He saw a Cuna dude drug an American woman and try to rape her. My brother in law and his buddy wrestled the Cuna off the woman and they all left the next day. YMMV.
  12. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow mark that looks great!
  14. markharf

Oddometer:
    "Great," maybe....but I'm posting with a clear sense of the history of this boat and its owner/operator. Anyone tempted to rely on it would do well to start reading up.
  15. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess I better do some reading then...what's the real issue I should search for
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    A lot more expensive than the departed ferry, but if it is quick and painless, it will be worth it! Do I gather from the info that they provide very little assistance with the "red tape" involved with leaving and entering the next country? That is a huge positive with the Steel Rat, but I don't want the five day crossing. I only see one date for a crossing. I wonder how long it might be before a plan can be made one or two months out?
  17. markharf

Oddometer:
    I can't be bothered to search out the firsthand reports myself. The quick synopsis: this ferry was previously in service on this route. It was purchased and outfitted by a gentleman who had previously operated a sailboat on the route....until that boat sank off the coast of Colombia due to negligence and poor decision-making. The ferry's few trips were, by reports on this site and elsewhere, a bit of a horror show.

None of which means much moving forward, except that if something appears too good to be true, there's a strong possibility that it is, in fact, not true. Caveat emptor.

Mark
  18. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm skeptical.. sent them an email several ago and haven't heard back. That's one dodgy website. Love the horn tooting bit :evil

In case anybody is interested in flight shipping to Bogota, I managed to get a quote from a LynCargo contact who works on the Bogota side. $1250 plus $190 customs fees. Cash. But hey, at least she gave me a link to cheap flights! Add $160 for a total just shy of $1600... man o man...

If the San Blas Ferry folk ever get back to me I'll let you guys know..

Heather

PS. I'm in Costa Rica, crossing into Panama via Sixaola tomorrow.. if any of you Panamanian folk (or fellow strandees) wanna meet up in the next week, let me know!
  19. ogri88

ogri88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All sea crossings - ferry or San Blas boats are over for motorbikes. Gone. The Panama Customs have shut down sailing boats carrying cargo - motorcycles in our case.

How do I know? I had to pay $1200 for me and bike to fly Panama to Bogota after spending a week in Panama hoping it wasn't true about the sailing boats.f
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Who did you fly with? Can you please provide details! Thanks!