Shipping Across Darien Gap: Discuss

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Charles Seguin, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can fly your bike Air Canada to Bogota for 750.00( Canadian) which is okay for me as I've already ridden to Yavisa and returned to Canada. seems strange the cost would be less from way up here:huh Santiago and Buenos Aries is 950.00 from Canada.
    I still think I'll buy a Honda Falcon in Peru.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Donnie
    When Anna gets her passport come on up for a visit and then fly from here. I'll put you up in Calgary
  3. NorwegianTool

NorwegianTool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone confirm this? :cry:cry:cry
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    OK, deal! :deal
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was afraid this was the case...wtf
  6. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.. I got an email back finally from Fritz, the captain of this ferry.. doesn't, as yet, bode so well..

"The crossing June 15th is not confirmed yet, we have a locker, bring your padlock, we think there are harbor fees, but do not know the amount yet."

Skeptical I'll remain till there's some real information. If he provides it, I'll post it here.

Heather
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap:clap:clap
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the options for a gringo to buy a moto in Columbia or else where in South America. Keep it for six months to one year and then selling it? I would need a moto for two up Adventure riding with the intent of going to Tierra de Fuego and back. Thanks!
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received an email from Motolombia and then are presently selling their last years rentals, all highly maintained. I believe they can arrange all the needed papers to buy and plate for SA travel.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not ready yet. Do you know the procedure?
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    look them up online and shoot them an email.
  12. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. Just wanted to pass on some info here posted by Ogri88 in a different thread, who did in fact fly his bike with Girag only a month ago, and for $950 plus the cost of his personal flight (as opposed to the $1440 I was quoted by LynCargo). Sounds like it wasn't easy, but for me saving $500 is worth a little inconvenience. I was told by the rep at LynCargo that Girag was "off the market".. unless they shut down their bike flying operations within the last month, that would be incorrect :D

The thread is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069253
    Scroll down to post number 4.

I'm landing in Panama City tomorrow. With this new information I plan on heading over to Girag to figure it out on Monday. I will be sure to post what goes down.

Cheers,
    Heather
  13. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great info. Heather! Thanks for the update! :D
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi Cal!

I took a look at the used moto. Any idea what the price premium is there compared to the US for new motos?

Donnie
  15. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's another update. I actually did in fact manage to get through to Girag over the phone, after noticing that they're starting to refresh their website (which now has a phone number on it that works): http://www.girag.com

I spoke with a woman named Dalia, who speaks English, who emailed me a quote for $985 ($900 + $85 "dangerous goods" fee) to fly my bike on a plane that's leaving for Bogota this Saturday.

Wish me luck.. I'll report back here how it goes. And, once again, if any of you guys are in Panama City, drop a line. Going to be hanging out here for 5 more days.

Cheers,
    Heather

http://thefrighteningandbeautiful.blogspot.com
    http://facebook.com/thefrighteningandbeautiful
  16. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Good luck Heather and safe travels. Thank you for the updated info and hope it works out for you. :norton
  17. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So... my fine virtual friends... I'm about to confuse the f**k out of ya's...

It looks like I'll be putting my motorbike on a boat. It's not 100% yet.. let's say 90, for now.. but with the help of the owner of Mamallena Hostel in Panama, I've found a captain willing to take me on. Boat is the Wildcard, name of the captain is John; scheduled to take off June 18 from Portobello.

This is a 60-footer, and I think it can accommodate 2 or 3 bikes perhaps. But if any of you out there want in on this, here's the info:

contact Mamallena Hostel:
    info@mamallena.com
    507-393-6611 / 507-6676-6163

I have no idea if this is a permanent thing or what.. but so far so good

:freaky

(PS - this all happened literally 20 minutes after I sent a confirmation email to book my bike on a Girag flight.. after a very casual conversation with Stewart, Mamallena's owner, the night before. I had asked him what the deal was with boats not taking bikes anymore. I still haven't been able to get a straight answer to that question.. but it did result in him pulling this out of his hat.. so I'm not complaining :) )
  18. PDublYu

PDublYu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see from Heather's Facebook page that she is indeed on board the Wildcard with her XT. Waiting with anticipation to hear how she fares at the Colombia reception. :ear
  19. mardar

mardar Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Lilbloody

Lilbloody Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Writing to you guys from Cartegena and feeling fantastic!!
    Yup, the Wildcard is an awesome option for getting across the gap. Just landed here sans glitch day before yesterday. The captain was professional, efficient and kind. The food was tasty and reasonably healthy. The boat was stable - for most, seasickness wasn't a major problem. The bikes were handled by enough people that they didn't get damaged or dropped into the sea :clap. Pics are on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrighteningAndBeautiful

So, if you want to book passage, it's all in my previous post. Best to book through Mamallena Hostel either in Panama or Colombia. Know that it is necessary, if you're shipping out from Panama, to get a DIJ police inspection. I didn't get my Panamanian permit cancelled, which hasn't been an issue (though I have no intentions of sailing back to Panama with the bike any time soon). I know that the DIJ is necessary because the boat did get a visit from the Panamanian cops in Portobello right before we set sail. Thankfully we (my two fellow traveling bikers and myself) had all our paperwork in order for the bikes (passport copy, title, vehicle import permit and DIJ) - otherwise they would have either yanked the bikes off the boat or suggested a couple hundred extra dollars to "fix" things. I have to admit it was rather gratifying to watch them motor away looking disappointed...

No problems importing the bikes into Colombia other than the logistical PITA of locating the DIAN/customs office and **walking** to the insurance (SOAT) office to get the mandatory coverage. (Riding a motorcycle in the old part of Cartegena is illegal.) We did get pulled over for that and were lucky enough to have kindly policemen who let us go.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me...

Heather

http://thefrighteningandbeautiful.blogspot.com
    http://facebook.com/thefrighteningandbeautiful