Shipping bike from Panama to Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by cruthas, Dec 17, 2008.

1. cruthas

cruthas AdvMotorcyclist Counselor

Oddometer:
    I HAVE ADDED MY RIDE REPORT TO THIS THREAD. CHECK IT OUT ON PAGE 7!

Ok guys,
    So since the shipping information on this site has been broken for a while now, I am reaching out for your help. I will be in Panama for Christmas and New Years. After that or even before that if needed I am looking to ship the bike via sailboat. I am looking for any information on reliable sailors, not just a boat that is going to dump me off on the beach in Colombia and then I am stuck, even though that would be an interesting adventure. I have read through many posts and gotten some great information and emailed a few boats, but I am posting this to see if I can squeeze any more information out of you guys.[​IMG] Anyway thankt in advance! I look forward to posting all the information I have about crossing here to help anyone else out.
  2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
  3. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Theres a thread somewhere in here about shipping across the gap...

Anyways one good resource is http://www.hostelwunderbar.com. We booked our boat ride through them, and actually ended up on their boat. They have been doing the trip for 7 or something years now and only book for boats they know offer a certain level of professionalism.

If you do a bit of research beforehand you can avoid the captain from hell situations. Most people that have bad experiences didn´t research the boat they booked, and/or were forced onto a bad boat because of rigid scheduling. Like most things in Latin America, this isn´t an exact science, to do it right you may have to wait two weeks to even a month. We set our plans back almost three weeks to make sure we´d be on a good boat.
  4. cruthas

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information guys. I think I have pretty much used all the resources I could for making this happen. I just dont think it is going to work. I have got in touch with the Seeadler, The Melody, every possible captain I found was on holiday, and it doesnt look like boats will be leaving until Feb. Thanks for the help if anyone has any more information let me know I am not giving up yet, I will check around once I get there.
  5. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Just be very careful if you do find a boat, this can be an amazing experience or a terrible one based on the captain. I think the season is mostly over for crossing the gap by boat. We were on one of the last boats out. That being said there is always someone willing to make a buck. Just be careful.
  6. cruthas

Oddometer:
    That is very true, I will make the best effert I can to sail, and I feel as if i may be able to distingush between a boat that is going to dump me in the middle of nowhere to a good boat with a good captian. I will keep everyone updated
  7. Muleboy

Muleboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know when the season ends? I am planning a trip with another inmate here and will need a boat to Cartanena sometime in late October or early November. I know it might still be the rainy season but will the boats still be running? Thanks for any input.
  8. cruthas

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure that the season is still open October November. January is bad apperently becasue of rough waters. So you should not have any problems. If you need contacts get in touch with me and I have a list of good captians to contact.
  9. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did the crossing in this boat
    www.fritz-the-cat.com/
    It's a catamaran so there is more space than in regular sailboat. We put five bikes on it.
    The captain is a little bit crazy but maybe all of them are.
    In my ride report there is pictures step by step about the trip and how we loaded the bikes.
  10. cruthas

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that contact, it seems like a great boat. I just hope I can sail with the bikes, everyone seems to be out for holidays, and put off by bad weather, I am determined to take a boat but it is not looking good at this point. I will be sad if I have to fly the bike!:cry
  11. rugger

rugger 1 day at a time!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm in El Salvador at the moment. I'm really wanting to spend most of my trip in SA so I'm moving pretty fast. Should be there before the new year. I'm also wanting to ship myself and bike. So any info is good.
    Cheers!!!
  12. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    October and November are high season for shipping.
  13. cruthas

Oddometer:
    Here is the list of people i contacted, along with some other hostels who are in contact with boats that might be of some help as well. Hope this helps,

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Fritz R. Breckner Sailing with the Fritz Cat
    1190 Wien, Krottenbachstr.166, <st1:country-region><st1:place>Austria</st1:place></st1:country-region>
    Tel.,Fax +43(0)1 440 13 08 MOB +43 (0)6991 36 87 999
    www.fritz-the-cat.com <st1:country-region><st1:place>Panama</st1:place></st1:country-region>:+507 67277337 NEU!
    Columbien: +573186683438 skipe: fritz-the-cat50
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Tony Santos Sailing with the Andiamo<o:p></o:p>
    www.theandiamo.com<o:p></o:p>
    tony@theandiamo.com<o:p></o:p>
    www.hostelwunderbar.com Sailing with the Seeadler<o:p></o:p>
    silvia@hostelwunderbar.com<o:p></o:p>
    This is a hostel and boat you can contact in order to sail around the gap, very useful and helpful.<o:p></o:p>
    info.Steelrat@Les-Raisting.de Sailing with the Steelrat
    http://www.stahlratte.org/
    http://www.stahlratte.blogspot.com/ learn about their adventures!
    Captain Marcos
    freshaircharters@yahoo.com
    Popular boat highly recommend among Motorcyclists.

Hostel Mamallena
    Panama City, Panama
    www.mamallena.com <o:p></o:p>
  14. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Was the Hostel Mamallena guy an aussie or kiwi? He usually knows what's going on, though he didn't know a ton about bikes, we found.

We went through in late June or early July, IIRC, had to wait about 10 days.

If I had to do it again, I'd fly. I know I've said that already, but the sailing the bike was a bad choice.
  15. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Just be CAREFUL.

These boat trips often turn into real "adventures" :eek1
  16. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Indeed. It was horrible, and made about 3x worse because of the bike.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tedder: What went so wrong?? :huh I'm looking forward to sailing the high sea.:puke1
  18. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Here's our writeup of the "sailing" (which was actually motoring).
    http://perljam.net/wandering/2007/05/528-529-colon-portobelo-and-loading.html
    http://perljam.net/wandering/2007/06/530-64-portobelo-panama-to-cartagena.html
    http://perljam.net/wandering/2007/06/looking-back-more-on-our-trip-with.html

Batshit captain aside, it's pretty difficult on the bike- even in good seas (which we had), it's very corrosive on the chain, bearings, wiring and connectors, etc.. and it isn't that sailing is any cheaper than flying, especially when you factor in extra days while we waited for the ship to sail.

At a minimum, I'd fly the bike. Realistically we'd probably fly too- San Blas was neat, but 7 days hot, humid days on a tiny sailboat isn't my idea of 'fun'. We were bored out of our minds.
  19. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it could be worse, there were no rouge waves:D . Remind me the name of Steve's boat so I can stay the hell away from him. Josh is your new best friend I hope.
    I looking forward to the boat trip almost as much as the riding, I always thought sailing around the world on a small boat was the ULTiMATE ADV.

You made it. Congradulations! :clap

20. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    His boat is "Shenanigans". Yeah, fitting.