Shipping bike from Panama to Colombia

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by cruthas, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Rustysauce

Rustysauce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went down to Yaviza at the end of January and didn't have any issues or restrictions at the police/military checkpoints. But it was just for the night and then I headed back to Panama City. Strangely, I was only stopped on the way into the Darien, but the next day I was waved through all of the military checkpoints...
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    If you don't have to stop, it's really not very far, especially by moto, especially when the roads are good. How was the road? Especially before and after the bridges?

If they didn't stop you, then that means everything was nice and quiet.

In Yavisa, did the police make you register with them?
  3. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we told the police our plans, the first let us go, the second check point near Meteti stopped us....I always like to be honest. We couldn't decide if it was perhaps only for our safety or if they knew of some sort of smuggling ops but didn't want to see us - as tourists - getting unintentionally involved. That said, they said we were welcome to go to Panama and take a boat from there to Jaque....which seems somewhat odd.

Of course - everyone else - bananaman is quite right, if you aren't going to beyond La Palma/Yaviza then going to either of these is no problem.
  4. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    Hi John, Adam tells me you and he are meeting up....actually he is probably there now? I am just near Los Nevados (very very nice!) and will be meeting with Adam in El Cocuy I think in a week or so...I told him that as much as I dearly want to see him after a year absence...I really need some Nick time after being cooped up in a boat for so many days with so many people! I hope we can meet there? If not, as I know you are leaving for USA, then let me know so perhaps we can make arangments!

The first round will at least be 33% cheaper than you expected...I don't drink....you can definately make me a coffee at camp though :eek:)
  5. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
  6. glittleman

glittleman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your detailed and entertaining story. It felt like I was with you watching the bikes fall into the boat. :)
  7. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it! Fanks!
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I came across this old post... and Gaston says he has never spammed.

Somewhere in this thread I posted pics of the river damage and flooding in Yavisa, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe somebody can help.

9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Great stuff Nick! I remember meeting you in Guatemala City when you had just picked up that 250 Tornado. Where are you hiding out these days?

Vin
  10. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    VIN!!!! :roflCurrently in Ecuador and just about to get some blog stuff done before heading to Peru! Sadly the bike was the smaller XR125 not the tornado, though I'm wishing I'd gone bigger....like your lovely KTM! Hope it's still going strong and perhaps you are planning a new ride some other place soon???? Hope so!
  11. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Of course, I forgot. The 175 gets better gas mileage anyway. :D I really enjoy following your adventure, fantastic stuff. The big ol KTM is still running like a raped ape, but it hasnt been so good for my relationship with Johnny Law here in the states. :lol3

Enjoy Peru amigo, amazing place. Looks like you guys had a bit of fun on that pacific Darien route despite the headaches.

Cheers, Vin :freaky
  12. NHlibertyrider

NHlibertyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Yo, Klaus 1 and crashmaster and all other Darien oriented inmates... Rode my 08 KLR, loaded with gear... front and rear panniers, big box, tubes for tripods for my hammock, backpack... from Manchester, New Hampshire. Am now in Panama City, Panama.

In the past three weeks, have been to: Panama City, Colon, Portobelo, Miramar, back to Panama City, Yaviza, back to Panama City.

Even bought 'passage' on the new Colon/Cartagena ferry; which has turned out to be a 'ferry tale'. Rode to Colon to get a ticket and get in on the 'maiden voyage'... was there on May 8th. at the Aventuras 2000 office there. Did not get to see anyone from AV 2000 in Colon as expected. Was referred (by phone) to the offices back in Panama City. Was at the Aventuras 2000 offices there (they are in 'edeficio Bahia Balboa') on May 10th. May 10th was what the 'big news story' had as the date of the 'maiden voyage'. Didn't happen. Was told it would depart on May 31st. Gave them a credit card. Received a detailed itinerary, which included a round trip passage for my and the KLR on May 31st... no 'one way' fares were allowed.

About a week ago got an email from a rep stating that the 'maiden voyage' had AGAIN been delayed... this time, till 'some date' in July. Last Thursday I returned to 'edeficio Bahia Balboa' (there's a Harley store on the ground floor of the building) to get my money back. Was told that it would take 3 days to cut the check and get the GM to sign it. Was informed that my check would be ready on May 29th. I was there this morning at 11AM. Did get the check, which was drawn on a different bank than the receipt I have dated when the 'took' my funds. It required the better part of the day to get the check... and then to take it to the 'right bank'... WITH my 'original passport' in hand. This was all accomplished in heavy rush hour traffic (ALL the streets are under construction now in Panama City).

Have spoken in person with Captain Jack (he owns a hostel by the same name in Portobelo) and with the captain of the Darien Gapster. Marco (The DarGapCap) said my bike was too big for his speed launch. Cap Jack AND Marco reported to me that the Port Authorities in Cartagena have not been allowing sailboats to offload motorcycles in Cartagena... since the news story of the new ferry started.

Can my F...ing ADVENTURE resume now, please!!!

Have put the 'down time' to good use, though. Lots of needed bike maintenance. Here's another bit of useful info for the inmates: I got 23,000 miles out of ONE front tire... no flats. The tire was a Heidenau Scout 60. I got 11,000 and 12,000 respectively out of the rear tires... also both Heidenau Scout 60s. Could only find one bike shop that had a front AND a rear tire that matched for my KLR. I'm now on NEW Duro Trails (dual sport tires). Would have loved to have continued with Heidenaus... but couldn't find them anywhere locally... and was just plain tired of 'waiting' for stuff. I'm all done with waiting.

Tomorrow, I ride to Carti. Taking the Carti/Puerto Olbadia/Capurgana/Turbo 'Darien route'.

This will require me to again... take a 'laid back' approach. It may take a few days to wait for a 'cargo vessel' going from Carti to Puerto Obaldia. All in all in will require up to four different boat rides with the bike. 1. Land Carti to Sea Carti 2. Carti to Puerto Obaldia 3. Puerto Obaldia to Capurgana 4. Capurgana to Turbo. Will be out of internet communication until I reach Capurgana.

Will check in when I arrive in Capurgana.

Oh... yeah... almost forgot, I'm 64 years old... travelling alone... and my ass had not made contact with motorcycle saddle in over 40 years prior to June 2011.

Later dudes and dudettes...
    :wink:
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
  14. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Glad you got you money back. Another reason to pay by Credit Card. Easy to cancel it out ... report fraud.

Done waiting? :lol3 You probably should have waited to buy tires in Colombia! :D Lots of choice from what I hear (and cheaper than Panama)

You bought Duro tires? Probably all that was available? :ear
    I've seen them for sale here, but not used them:
    http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200_937_938

The price has gone up. A year or two ago the tire shown above was selling for $40 something US. Now $72. What did you pay in Panama for the Duro? Let us know how they hold up! 23K on a front is insane. You either took "The Long Way Down" or rode a lot in the USA before you crossed the border. Longest I've gone on a front on my DR650 is 10,000 miles. Sure, still plenty of tread depth ... but that does NOT mean the tire is safe! Cupping will kill you. No worries if you never ride wet roads.

I assume you've read Airborne Andy's Ride report ? Laid back approach indeed. I think what you're doing is the very best thing to do based Andy's report. Good luck, safe travels! :lol3
  15. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try to check your bike out of Panama in Colon if you can at the customs office at the port. That way you can skip the stop in Puerto Obaldia. See if you can get the boat to take you as far as Sapzurro, the first village in Colombia. You can actually hike over the hills between Sapzurro and Capurgana easily, check in with immigration in Capurgana and arrange a boat from there to pick up your bike in Sapzurro and take you straight to Turbo. In the past people have been forced to get two separate boats - one for them, one for the bike - at times, but we were able to get one big boat to take us and our bikes straight into Turbo from Sapzurro. We did all the customs paperwork for the bikes in Turbo. The fact that we had 6 bikes and bodies definitely helped s we were able to completely fill one of the big mega-lanchas with twin outboards. That thing hauled ass.

Our ride for the last leg from Sapzurro to Turbo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    Great effort! Good luck on the trip to Colombia! Shame about the ferry....alas, this way will be much more fun!:D
  17. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    When I travel I take left over pain killer for tooth ache, antibiotics I did not use, and MMS. MMs is calcium hypochlorite. Go to pool store and buy a pound of pool shock. I know it says danger do not consume. If that was the case you should not put it in your pool. It is FDA approved. I put it in 100mg capsules. Take one every 2 hrs for malaria or food poisoning. This is what is called off label use. It is a low level oxidizer. Jim Humble developed its use. Look it up. I know you will ignore this advice but I have done my part to educate the masses. Go to a doctor and get some drugs. You will fine, and don't worry about the 15 side affects.
  18. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    EDUCATE?
    Are you a cardiologist? I'm not ... but I visit with one every couple months ... have done for the last ten years. Calcium is a KILLER! I've done a bit of research during that time. Why don't you read up .... start here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Cal...org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a
  19. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    That is the rest of the story. Misquoting is a popular political game these days and I'm not playing. Been reading up for the last 20yrs. Debates can be fun but does the truth win out or just the best debater? Pm me if you want to find out what took me much money and time to accumulate. salud
  20. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For malaria? Great. When I dine with Bill Gates I will let him know that he can stop funding GlaxoSmithKline for malaria research. Oh, he owns GlaxoSmithKline. Never mine...