1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping from Calgary two XT250s to Germany

Discussion in 'Canada' started by calgary_herb, Aug 13, 2020.

1. calgary_herb

calgary_herb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Does anybody know a decent and competent shipping company in Calgary that would be able to transport two Yamaha XT250 from Calgary to Germany? The shipping companies I called so far are less then helpful if not to say incompetent. All they know is containers and that's like Can$5500 plus tax. I hear about people crating their bikes, but the shipping companies here don't even seem to know what that is.
    We even inquired with Air Canada, but they where less then helpful as well. They said they suspended their "fly your bike" program until further notice.

Has anybody from Calgary had any good experience with a shipping company?

Thanks so much!
    Herb
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air Canada is your best bet especially if you fly together with bike but it's suspended due to pandemic..
  3. calgary_herb

calgary_herb n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for trying to help, but that's exactly what I said in my original question.
  4. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Herb,
    I've never personally shipped out of Calgary. Actually I think Edmonton is the closest classified as a "port" and you may have more success inquiring there. Failing that I have used Motofreight (in the UK) on many occasions and I am sure they would provide you with a local contact if that's all you're currently after. Super helpful folks who know what they're doing with bikes and fancy cars.

www.Motofreight.com or
    Roddy (or Kathy)
    +44 (0) 7730221201
  5. calgary_herb

calgary_herb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Bayner,
    thank you! I will check that site out!
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    you can still ship via Air Canada.
    the fly and ride is a separate deal altogether.
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I shipped my GSA to Germany a couple of years ago on AC Cargo and for the hell of it asked how much sending the bike regular air freight (ie without the "fly and ride"deal) would cost. They told me $3500 one way, but then, one GSA probably equals three XT250's. Fly and ride was $1500. AC Cargo in Calgary and in Frankfurt were excellent to deal with, BTW. I have heard nightmare stories about shipping to the UK and waiting a week to clear customs - In Frankfurt we were riding within 2hrs of landing.

To the OP - reach out to Stephan Knopf at Knopftours http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html email: knopftours@aol.com - It's where we keep our bikes in Europe and he knows all the options to ship bikes to Germany including arranging shipments himself (maybe not this year). Expect to start with him recommending AC.
  8. calgary_herb

calgary_herb n00b

Oddometer:
    Just an update. Thanks for everybody chiming in. To get information with AC or any other shipper is like pulling teeth. The best quote I got so far is $4850 in a shared container, which is absolutely crazy for two small bikes. AC has no pricing information available even when you call them. They tell you "we call you back", but they never do. As I understand Covid problems and all, but it looks like they are not really interested in the remaining business they could get. I have a feeling the $3500 per bike and one way is about accurate and I don't think they will lower the price much for smaller bikes.