Shipping USA Motorcycle from Canada to Italy

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by DesertHOG, Apr 18, 2019.

1. DesertHOG

DesertHOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have air cargo booked for my USA registered motorcycle, flying from Toronto, CA to Rome, IT.

The agent with AirCanada suggested Rome or Paris over London destination because customs was supposed to be easier to deal with outside of the UK.

Now, as I read through shippers information, I find that my vehicle may be subject to a 30% deposit with customs because it is less than a year old. I was reading this about cars on a sea-based shipper website.

Does anyone know if temporary tourist import of a motorcycle to Italy is subject to this 30% of the value deposit?

If so, are there other European destinations that are not so expensive with regard to customs fees.

If not, I may have to abandon plans to bring my 2018 motorcycle and bring my 2014 since they are not subject to this rule, at least for cars.

Your help and experience is appreciated.

Simon
    Albuquerque, NM
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. DesertHOG

DesertHOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen the site you suggest but I can't find anything about import duties on motorcycles. It seems to be more of an American/Italian policy and cooperation site. Please paste the link laws and taxes for importing motorcycles.

Thank you,
    Simon
  4. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I suggested two sites. To which are you referring?

As far as the Embassy goes, they probably don't have a specific page dedicated to vehicle importing - you'll probably have to contact them to get the info that you need. Regarding the HUBB - happy hunting.
  5. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    We shipped out 2 motos from Toronto to Venice last September via AirCanada. Landed on a Saturday and the customs crew didn't have a clue what to do, lol. They wanted us to pay fue 30%VAT tax and all this bullshit, after an hour, it became a joke and they just said to come back on Monday. (Lucky for us, my cousin lives in Venice) Monday morning a few stamps, $30 warehouse fee and away we went.

I will suggest this: they wanted to know where we were going and plans. Tell them you are riding around Italy for a week and then heading east to Turkey (out of EU) otherwise they will try to hit you with import taxes. This is bullshit, you are just temporary importing the moto, so it's a non issue.

I believe you will need some sort of address for the paperwork (hotel) and make sure you have your green card insurance (even though they didnt even ask to see it, hahaha)

If you swing through Slovenia, let me know, we'll be back in June and for the summer.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    Also, I believe shipping into Germany is easiest as they get a lot of US bikes every year. Might be worth considering.
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    The Germans will.
    MotoMigrant likes this.
  8. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in doing (via Air Canada) what you have done and would I be right to expect to provide vehicle title and registration and insurance and a temporary importation deposit (sort of like a carnet)? I would leave the bike in Ljubliana and ride to the Balkans for three months. Am I leaving anything out?
  9. e30_325es

e30_325es Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just shipped toronto to paris 2 weeks ago. $36 euro was the only thing I had to pay to get the bike once I got to france. Easy peasy. Everyone was nice and spoke enough english to get me through.
  10. guzziownr

guzziownr n00b

Oddometer:
    How much was the airfare? I live within driving distance of Toronto in NY...
    e30_325es likes this.
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but anywhere north of the Darien Gap (in North & Central America) is within driving distance of Toronto. :evil
  12. e30_325es

Oddometer:
    Prices were: $1150cad for the bike, $550usd for me, $141.25cad for the dangerous goods paperwork (all handled online before I arrived), and €36 when I arrived in Paris.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. DesertHOG

DesertHOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, my trip begins next week. I leave Albuquerque, NM either 5/8 or 5/9 and head to Toronto. I have gotten so much conflicting information from the web and different customer service representatives that I am going to take a few things on faith.

From posts here and discussions with the latest Customer Service rep with AirCanada, I don't believe I need to hire a freight forwarder or customs broker. The posts about Venice and Paris make is sound like the Import Tax/Fees could be very low. ($36 Euros?) AirCanada CS rep stated that I would be able to pick up my motorcycle at the FCO Airport Cargo building. She estimated the cost would be about 130 Euro. That's more than 36 E but better than those telling me about VAT taxes.

I'll let you all know how it turns out for me.

Simon
    e30_325es and cyclopathic like this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whom are you doing your green card insurance through?
  15. DesertHOG

DesertHOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. e30_325es

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Air Canada quoted €90 for customs in Paris for me, but it was less when I picked it up. Same with the dangerous goods.
  17. DesertHOG

DesertHOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I landed in Rome, ITA with my motorcycle. Here's my experience.

So we landed a little late around 11:50am. I got my luggage by about 12:30pm after asking where I could pick up my motorcycle.

Took the Airport shuttle, a special line, to "Cargo City". Made it to Cargo City, lugging my bags, about 1:30pm. [BTW: Cargo City has 6 docks with 1 floor of dockworkers and 2 floors of paper pushers. Customs, more paperpushers, cafeteria, bank, and a few shops are in a seperate building.]

I spent a few hours with Sean. He's the Import Agent with AirLog, an Airline Logistics company. His services cost 35 Euro, cash - no credit cards, no $US. I had to walk back to the bus stop to find an ATM.

The 2nd time through Security, Sean and I meet Mario who helps us get through Italian Customs. We get the Golden Ticket from Customs. No cost but I did certainly need my Clear Title, State Registration that doesn't expire while I'm in Europe, and my EU Liability and Comprehensive Insurance. We're out of customs by 4:15 PM.

Next step, off to ALHA Airport FCO S.p.A. Apparently all shipments wait on one person to clear all the paperwork including customs. They give approval to physically hand over product shipment to the Consignees (me, in this case). This took until 5:10PM. Cost was 54,22, Euro, another cash only transaction.

Now we are finally able to go to the dock and locate the bike and accept delivery. That entails unloading the motorcycle from the shipping pad.

Bike loaded with my luggage and off to security to get authorization to leave. Let security review my customs clearance and returned my security paper pass with about 6 entries and exists logged.

Final exit with bike at 6:10PM. Its been a long day. 20190517_170944.jpg
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your experience! Italians are interesting people you get in line see 3 people in front think piece of cake 20min tops.. hour and a half later you still waiting in line. But they are nice and you get to talk about all sorts of things.

What type of paperwork did you get from customs? Anything requiring to "carry all the time, attached to windshield" etc?