1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Shocks Removal for R1200GSA - LC (2017)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Adventure5280, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Adventure5280

Adventure5280 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any info on how to remove the front and rear shocks on a LC R1200GSA with ESA? I have a 2017 GSA. The rear looks pretty straight forward but the front looks like a beast.

Thanks!
  2. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Touratech had some decent instructions for changing out the stock shocks for their fancy replacement units. Might try looking there to see if they still do.

Edit: Found this - https://cdn.touratech-usa.com/09-045-5885-0_1.pdf

It's not in English, sorry, good luck...
  3. Adventure5280

Adventure5280 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It’s a very simple instruction but it gives a good idea.
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  4. Adventure5280

Adventure5280 n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess I now need to ask the question, how do you tak
    I guess I now need to ask the question, how do you take the airbox off?
  5. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    This video might help, some others there also.

Have fun...
  6. Adventure5280

Adventure5280 n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thank you!!! Big big help!!!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're new to the GS but not new to mechanical stuff, it's a cinch. My biggest piece of advice is screw in bolts back into the frame when you take the fairings off. As you remove side fairings, y ou'll have 10 bolts now to deal with. Just screw them back into their holes on the frame to keep track of where each one goes. They're all T25 but some have different depths and fittings.

Also is great for bodywork. I'd watch that to get down to air filter then pick up on mine for the rest of it related to air filter & shock. JVB does a better job of showing up to disassemble the top end.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done it once to my 2014 GSA LC. It's not a "cinch" by any means. It's a bitch and takes a while. My recommendation is to find or rent a small spring compressor to shorten the shock length to get it out easier. You'll know what I mean when you try it. Careful when you move the gas tank back as all kinds of wires and hoses are attached to it and you can yank the wiring harnesses out easily.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A spring compressor? That makes no sense.
    Rockred likes this.
  10. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've swapped out the shocks on my 2015 GSA, and again on my 2018 Rallye. I would say its easy, but many steps and thus fairly time consuming. The rear shock being the less involved one of the two.

You definitely don't need a spring compressor, but a scissor jack under the skid plate is helpful to help adjust the height of things when removing an replacing the shocks.

The BMW RepRom disk has very good detailed steps as to the procedure, but between the two videos above you should be able to get the job done.
    AdamChandler and Rockred like this.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Front's a bitch. Next time I'll pay a tech to do it while I drink martinis.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind with ESA, you’ll need GS-911 afterwards to cycle the motor and re-calibrate. If you don’t have a GS-911, BMW can do it for you. Before you guys take up the shock install yourselves, call the local dealer and ask them what their shop rate would be to swap the front & rear and calibrate. If it’s less than $400, hyou’re probably better off havin them do it :p
    nobody0101 likes this.
  13. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $400 would be a great deal. It’s going to take anyone at least 3 hours to do the job. Just so many steps and no real shortcuts.

That said, it is a great time to neatly run all of your wiring for your lights and other electric farkles.
  14. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. A spring compressor. The shocks have springs , don't they ? Last time I checked they did. I did it myself and found the shock just a bit too long to pull out . I compressed the spring and voila , it popped out. I use spring compressors on cars all the time. I don't know why you'd say this makes no sense . Please enlighten us peons with your endless supply of knowledge . Your way is always the best . LOL. Reading how to do something is entirely different than doing it. There were very few instructions when I did it and they did not come out as suggested . The front and back were bitches until I compressed the springs.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because you do not have to compress the spring to remove the shock on a telelever bike. You may have done it, but it was completely unnecessary.

Particularly on the back, if you found it a bitch, either you were doing it wrong, or you have no idea what you are talking about.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Sorry GP but a spring compression wasn’t needed and I’ve done it on two LC bikes. It’s good it worked for you though.
  17. Adventure5280

Adventure5280 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was able to get the shocks out and you are right Jim, it wasn’t that bad at all. I’ve done it in my OC numerous times and I would say that it’s about the same if not easier on the LC. I’ve done it so many times on the OC that the last time I did it, the entire swap took less than 3 hours!

In case I didn’t thank you for the earlier info on how to take the airbox out, thank you!!! Big big help!
    JimVonBaden likes this.