Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Motodisiac, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the Neotec regarded as being the better helmet as far as protection? Ive currently got the Neotec & C3 Pro at home (I'm in the UK) to try out, and I'm struggling between the two.

Whilst they both have ratchet fasteners my main issue is with the chin pads under the straps. The C3 Pro has a full length chin pad making the strap comfortable to wear, but on the Neotec the pad isn't as long, causing the strap to dig in, and is quite annoying...

C3 Pro..

[​IMG]

Neotec - the black plastic part of the fastener digs into the underneath of my chin...

[​IMG]
  2. bhb

bhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replaced my 4-5 year old Schuberth about 8 months ago with a C3. Really wanted to like it, as I loved my last one enough to keep it for so long. I couldn't get the C3 to fit right, even after different cheek pads, etc. Exchanged the C3 for a Neotech and it's been great for year round riding. Fits great and fit and finish is fantastic. I'm sure the C3 is a great helmet, just couldn't get it to fit right.
  3. bogo

bogo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for recommendation :beer . Unfortunately due to the strange Shoei politics, Revzilla guys (which I found to be very nice) cannot send the helmets in Europe and some workarounds had to be involved.

Fortunatelly meanwhile I managed to get a Borealis TC-3 :raabia at a very attractive price from a local dealler.

The good news is that the ratchet profile is smaller that the ones I seen before (used by Airoh, Schubert and BMW helmets). It's also positioned a bit to the side which makes my Adam's apple very happy.

Happy trails!
  4. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much deliberation I decided to keep the Neotec.

For me, although the C3 Pro had a padded chin strap it sat too far back and rubbed on my adams apple, and was painful to wear.

Whilst initially the Neotec chin strap felt a little annoying, its softened greatly over the first few days of use. Now I don't even notice it. I reckon I'm between sizes, the XL felt a little to tight whereas the XXL was comfortable, but I feared it would get to lose over time. So far thats not the case. Its a fabulously comfortable helmet for my head.
  5. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    U might be happy to find out XL and XXl uses the same shell, just different padding (crown and cheeks). All replaceable. I bought the cheek pads intended for XXl to fit in my XL and was a perfect fit for me.
  6. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using a C3 Shuberth helmet for several years now. The medium size fits my slightly oval head perfectly and is very comfortable. I need to use prescription glasses now while riding and find that the C3 helmet accommodates them very nicely. When I desire a little extra ventilation I just crack the shield open a tad and the shield stays in place while riding
  7. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats useful to know:1drink
  8. Gundealer

Gundealer n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, so after reading this entire thread, dozens of other threads, hours of reviews, I jumped on the bike and rode 2+ hours to the Iron Pony in Columbus. There are no shops anywhere in our area that have a large selection of helmets especially higher end helmets.

I have a neutral shaped big head and wore a XXL HJC 3/4 helmet with the little visor snapped on top. It seemed to be a good helmet for riding the Goldwing around but after time, I realized on long rides my neck was getting very sore from either weight and or buffeting. Bought a Vstream shield and it helped greatly but eventually I sold the bike.

I purchased a Triumph Explorer and with the lack of shield, the 3/4 helmet just wasn't doing it for me and at speeds, my eyeglasses would shake and it was getting harder to see comfortably. I decided it was time for a helmet and new sheild.

I had three helmets on the list n104, Shoei and the Schuberth C3. Since the store carried all three and had them in my size, it took the ride. After a ton of time and going from one to the other, the C3 fit right off the bat. With all the reviews saying how quiet it was and how light it was I bought the last one in my size (the display) and got it for $439.

Going from a 3/4 to a full helmet was a big difference and will take a lot of getting used to! The lack of wind and feeling confined was a shock but once riding and not having my glasses shake was nice.

I often found myself opening the faceshield for air not that is was all that hot but just for fresh air. The downside, it wouldn't stay open past 25 MPH. First notch or all the way up didn't matter as it shut. It would be nice it it would stay open longer. The fit is snug but will break in easily, ventilation while riding was fine but depending on how the windshield was set more air hitting it the better the ventilation. Night and day if your sitting behind the shield then stand up. My head felt cooler over the run versus the 3/4. With some buffeting it wasn't as noticeable as with the other helmet and with a strong crosswind it was shockingly better. I didn't feel the forehead pain issue the first time wearing it (it was the 2+ hour ride home) but when I folded the tabs back for "summer wearing) I felt it after another 2 hour ride. It is like a dime size spot where it starts to irritate you. I may just cut off the tabs as I don't ride when extremely cold. With the neck roll and chin shield closing it took some effort and was not a one handed deal for me as I had to slam it shut to get it to lock down. I am sure as I get used to it closing will be easier.

Now my only real issue with the helmet is the noise. After reading dozens of times how quiet it is, I was really surprised how loud it was. Around town it was fairly quiet but up to speeds it wasn't a whole lot quieter than the other helmet.

Is full face or modular helmets noisier than shielded or other helmets? I always heard of guys wearing earplugs while riding but never had the need to. Is that because of full face helmets? I was thinking of removing the neck roll and chin shield but not if it will make it louder.
  9. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    I have a Neotec that's fine for short rides, but gets uncomfortable after anything more than 30 minutes. This hasn't changed after 4K kms of wearing it in.

It's a subtle feeling, but despite it feeling fine when first put on, it seems to feel like it's pressing a little too much from the sides.

My previous helmets were BMW helmets which fit well.

I'm reading that the Neotec doesn't fit the rounder head so well and am wondering if that is the experience of others. I'm presuming the Schuberth has a similar shape to the BMW helmets seeing as Schuberth make the BMW ones.
  10. boxerboy81

Oddometer:
    The Medium Neotec I have had the 35mm liners. I changed them for the 31mm liners. Feels better, but yet to be tested on a longer ride.
  11. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    My FF is an Arai Signet-Q. I have an oval head. The Neotech fits me well, and I rarely grab the Arai anymore. The C3 and C3 Pro helmets I've tried both but pressure on my forehead and were generally uncomfortable.

The Neotech could use deeper speaker pockets, as my Koss-upgraded SMH-10 can become irritating over time, but otherwise it's the perfect modular. It ventilates better than the Signet-Q, it's quiet, and the sun shield, visor, and chin bar all work flawlessly.
  12. boxerboy81

Oddometer:
    Tested again today over a 250km ride. Despite the new narrower cheek pads, the Neotec still becomes uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes. It feels like the scalp is chilling. It feels like this even with the vents closed.

I might look for something else and sell this to a Shoei head rider! Shame, as it has great features.
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can do without the chinbar, give the Arai CTZ a try. Its by far the most comfortable and quiet helmet I've ever had. Saludos.
  14. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

I've been using a Shoei Neotec in my daily commute (about 70km) for a couple of years now, and I'm very satisfied with it, but I recently started to think about replacing it by a Schuberth C3 Pro due to it's smaller profile...I'll need also to replace my old Scala Cardo G4, but I'm not sure I want do spend another 400 bucks on a SRC System. Anybody knows if is it possible to install a Sena SMH10R on a C3 Pro and if the results are satisfactory?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions! :ear
  15. Murmur

Murmur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed my first generation Sena SMH10. Had to use the sticker attachment rather than the clamp. I could not use the clamp because of the sun shield lever is in the site. Not sure about the SMH10R attachment.
    Hope this helps.
  16. cficole

cficole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a new C3, since there seem to be some very nice discounts out there. I was thinking about installing a non-Schuberth system, but the manual claims the necessary structural changes will void the warranty. Annoying.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

Don't see how they could consider a sticker mount on the side a "structural change." I've been using my SMH10 for several years now, works great on the C3.
  18. cficole

cficole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They may be considering clamp mounts, carving out spaces for the earpieces, or a tape that forms a bond with the shell, possibly affecting its structure, to any degree. Hard to say, but sometimes warranty disclaimers are based on possibilities seen only by the legal department, not the engineering department.
  19. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    Wait for the Sena 10U which is uniquely designed for specific helmets including the C3:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-10u/preview.htm
  20. cficole

cficole Adventurer

Oddometer: