Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Motodisiac, Feb 8, 2012.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    When open the top vent can make the helmet quite noisy at speed.
  2. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with my Neotec for about 4 months now, and really like it. It seems to be quieter than my old Nolan. It took a little while to get used to the flip latch.

I took the Pinlock out at the beginning of the season, but the face shield stays clear in rain, even with the breathguard in.

I pinch the breathguard with my thumb when I close the helmet, so it doesn't jam against my chin.

The ventilation system is good, and easy to use. I particularly like the ratcheting face shield and often ride with it open a notch or two.
  3. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market ... it's down to 3 contenders for me. The Schuberth C3, Neotec and Lazer Monaco.
    Never actually tried on any of the above; nor do I know what type of head I have (big, I suppose).

I may hold out till the Long Beach MC show.... looking for a deal!
  4. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can try on all three at the show, within a short time frame, that would be the ideal way to help you decide. I tried on the Schuberth and Neotec at the same store, and there was a marked difference in fit between them.
  5. grelcar

grelcar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was helmet shopping I found that I could easily put on and remove the Schuberth with my glasses on. Not so with the Neotech.
  6. aferiksson

aferiksson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the Shoei Neotec, Schuberth C3 and Nolan N104 and ended up with the Nolan - not because of price, but it was the only one that fits my weird head shape somewhat properly (I have kind of a bump on the back of my head). I have a Shoei RJ-Air 2 that I used when riding a scooter, and that one worked pretty well, but the Netoec didn't fit me.

IMO It's kinda pointless trying to compare helmets without trying them on, since they simply won't work if they don't fit ;)
  7. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was able to try on the C3 and Neotec back to back over the weekend.. Both are exceptional, but the Neotec was a much better fit for my noggin. Ordered the right color and tonight I've been wearing it around the house for extended periods.

Tomorrow evening I hope to get a little seat time and see how I like it.
  8. gssurfer

gssurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had purchased the Nolan N104 and used it for about two weeks and I couldn't take it anymore. The strap was digging into my adams apple so much that it was creating an irritation that became torcherous if used for more than an hour...

The helmets that have fit me best have been Arai's Shoei's are a bit too round for me... I sold the 104 for a huge loss and a warning to the buyer of my experience. He has been using it and and as far as I know, he is happy with it.

I picked up the C3 Pro and it's perfect for me. Very comfortable, quiet, light and in my opinion, much better quality. In fact, it's the best helmet I've ever had. Unfortunately, you do pay a lot more for it...
  9. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at buying a Borealis soon, and came across this thread. Living in the UK, the idea that a helmet vents air permanently is a no no! Can I assume that Shoei has 'fixed' this issue now? I want to use the vent, but when it's closed, I want it closed!
  10. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode with the new Neotec most of the day today,..I cant speak about the air flow when the vents are closed as I never closed them. With open vents it felt like air conditioning flowing over my head. Hands down has the best Optics of any helmet I've owned. Very pleased.
  11. srebello

srebello Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im fortunate that my wife has the C3pro and I have the Neotec, same size. So I have spent a little bit of time with both. I think they both flow well and vent shut off with no drafts. The C3 seals better around the bottom as it is tighter. The Neo, I think, has clearer shaded visor, not that the C3 isn't, just Neo wins here. I didnt appreciate the C3 being that much quieter. I think it is a little, possibly due to the better sealing at the chin/underside. Chinstrap on C3 wins hands down, when can we ratchets straps...come on Shoei. Other wise pick which one fits your head better. I think they are very different fits. My wife has hot spots with mine and vice versa.

You cant go wrong with either.
  12. kencc

kencc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you find the Neoi a lot nosier? I am trying to decide between the 2 & have read a lot about noise factor / I like the fit of the Neo better but am concerned with noise.
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the C3 Pro and the Neotec and I think the C3 P is a lot quieter. Venting about the same. The C3 P rubs my left ear wrong for some reason and I got a blister on the back side of my ear over the course of a 9 day ride. Sunglasses are easier to wear in the Shoei than with the C3 P and thinking about it, I think the blister is because I wore sunglasses for the first few days before bagging them and just using the flip down visor. That worked pretty well. Now I have to sell one of them but still not sure which.
  14. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I've got the Neotec, had a C3 for a day, but returned it because I didn't have the patience to brake it in, it was that tight. Overall I'm not that impressed with the Neotec. I'm coming from a XD3 and I actually find the XD3 quieter and has better ventilation. When you open up that top vent on the Neotec, it gets SUPER loud. I don't wear earplugs, but I might have to on long trips with this thing. It's still over 100 degrees here so I really can't notice the air coming in the vents. I do like the city position of the face shield and have been having to rise with the shield up around town and in city mode for the highway so I don't pass out from the heat. I find the face shield hard to open and close with one hand, the C3 would open very easily, but didn't have such a positive "city" mode.
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't understand why one would wear sunglasses with the C3 P.
  16. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sunglasses have readers for reading close in stuff like maps and the GPS. They are actually safety glasses with readers but same thing. Those fit better than 'real' sunglasses which were even worse. Plus, sunglasses block the air from hitting my eyes directly when I have the visor opened. Contacts.
  17. muddbutt

muddbutt Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer:
  18. bogo

bogo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I'm reviving this topic because I don't think my probplem deserves a new one.

So, I plan to buy a Neotec Borealis. The problem is that I live in Europe and the european helmets have the ratchet closing system which (yes it's a blasphemy) I want to avoid. I want to have the double-D closing system since it will minimize the impact on the Adam's Apple.

Therefore, can you please reccomend me some US online stores from where I can buy my next helmet? They don't have to ship the merchandise directly to Europe.

Lots of thanks.
  19. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Different strokes for different folks :D, in my case unless I was on the track doing competitive racing I would NOT buy any helmet without a quick and easy ratchet closing feature.

As for a good shop in the US, www.revzilla.com is a great place to start and they can ship to anywhere in the world.
  20. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'll 2nd Revzilla. I think the ratchet buckles are great if the chin strap is placed forward enough, but I understand why you wouldn't want one. I had to return my C3 because the ratchet dug into my Adam's apple and my Nolan N90 did the same thing.