Shopping for pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Newfiebullet, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After years of wearing regular jeans or Carhartt's on the bike, I'm going to get a pair of biking specific pants. Living in Labrador, I have to order something online, which makes it a little harder to decide, as I don't get to see them before buying, nevermind actually trying them on.

I'm a little torn between a pair of adv style pants, or denim. My biking every year usually consists of a very limited amount of commuting, (during which I'll wear my regualr work cloths anyway), a few day long rides, one or two over-nighters, and one multi-day trip. I like the idea of having biking jeans, and think I might be more likely to wear them. But spending that much on a pair of jeans makes me wonder if I shouldn't get something that offers better weather protection. Nothing worse than having to put on the rain pants for a light shower, or worse, getting soaked because it sprinkled for 5 minutes.

Here are two of the pairs I'm considering
    [​IMG]
    https://fortnine.ca/en/trilobite-parado-jeans

[​IMG]
    https://fortnine.ca/en/alpinestars-andes-v2-drystar-pants

One thing I don't like about the Alpinestars is that the hip armour is sold seperately, and they don't have rear pockets.

I've also have the Scorpion Coverts in my shopping cart for a few days now, but I'm hesitant to spend that much for a pair of pants that comes with zero armour.
    [​IMG]
    https://fortnine.ca/en/scorpion-covert-jeans

Anyone have experience with these or something else similar? I was trying to keep the price below $200CAN, but two of these are $300+ tax, and that is my absolute limit I'm willing to spend.
  2. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fortnine for us canucks is nice cause its quick shipping and easy returns.
    Now onto your question as I have both and know the downsides to both.
    The kevlar jean setup is very comfortable and its my go to for commuting or short trips and then you arrive looking casual and hop on and off the bike.

Ive owned 2 pairs of covert jeans, they're worth every penny even without the armour. This year I decided to shell out for Klim K Fifty 2, they're even better... and have armour.

The downside to jeans is you gotta pack rain gear and do the one foot hop on the road side when it rains and if youre bad like me you wait till you're already soaked to put it on haha.

Full on dedicated riding pants are awesome cause you're fully protected, do up the vents and you're waterproof. But the hassle is then you look and sound like you're at the ski hill when walking off the bike and you might find yourself so you might find yourself packing extra clothes... losing storage space.

On a side note, if you're bigger or have a muscular build like myself, the covert jeans will fit perfect (covert pro are baggy as hell so stick with regular covert) but you may not fit alpinestars
    Newfiebullet likes this.
  3. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just realized you also posted on my topic where I complained about the hassle of owning both haha
    Newfiebullet likes this.
  4. Newfiebullet

Oddometer:
    I'm of decidedly average build, so I don't want the pants to be too baggy.

My other issue is I just got a pair of Gaerne G-Adventure's, and my regular jeans won't fit over the top of them. That's what got me thinking about riding jeans, as I want a pair of casual pants I can wear for afternoon rides without having to tuck them in the boots. So I'd like a slim fitting jean that aren't TOO slim in the calf. I don't know if that exists.
  5. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neither my coverts nor k fifty 2 will fit over my toucan boots. The covert pro jeans probably would.... but then the rest of them are like mid 2000s baggy jeans haha.
    But those toucan boots are pretty big and bulky so you may have better luck
    Newfiebullet likes this.
  6. Newfiebullet

Oddometer:
    Here's another option, and they come with the armour, which is a feature I'd really like to have...
    These look really similar to the Carhartts I would normally wear, but would offer a lot better protection.
    https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-outrider-pants
    [​IMG]
  7. RevrdMark

RevrdMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted in another thread about this topic. Carhart work jeans are the strongest most durable and comfortable pants I’ve seen. I’ve seen Kevlar jeans shred in lowside accidents and wouldn’t personally spend money like they charge for them. I’ve witnessed a low side with rider wearing Carharts and no tears or cuts. I wears motocross padded shorts under carhsrts for long rides on occasion. And the are water resistant
    Newfiebullet likes this.
  8. Newfiebullet

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and ordered the Outrider's. Hopefully they'll fit over my boots.
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good choice I have had two pairs of Outriders they are my go to riding pant unless there's rain then it's the Goretex pants, two pairs because I lost some weight and liked them so much I bought a smaller size. They fit true to jean size, have D30 armour, fit over high boots, mine are Gaerne G All Terrain, good pockets and look reasonably casual when off the bike. These and a cheap pair of rain pants cover most situations.
    Newfiebullet likes this.
  10. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    I'd like to find some pants with adjustable-height knee armor -- I want the armor higher than typical. I have short femurs, I guess. I went through all the pants (including women's!) at the store before buying some Sedici Arturos where the knee armor was the closest to my knee. I like them mostly, but it still feels that if I was sliding forward it's just going to be shin armor.

I know the BMW Rallyesuit has adjustable armor but that $1200+, oy. Any other suggestions or experience?
    Thanks!
  11. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Klim Outriders have adjustable knee armor velcro on the armor pad and the inside of the knee pocket approximately 3" to 4" range.
    joker-b likes this.
  12. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Klim Outriders are good if you want to adjust the knee armour placement. If you decide on going for a walk around you can remove the knee and hip armour quickly without taking the pants off. I have a pair and they are easily hemmed if you need them shorter and just move the knee pads where you want.
    joker-b likes this.
  13. Newfiebullet

Oddometer:
    A quick update.

I received my pants. Fortnine is great with shipping, and they showed up a couple of days before expected. After a quick test ride, I think I'll give them on go on my yearly week long trip. They are comfortable on the bike, and while the armour blocks the wind, there's enough airflow that I don't think they'll be too hot. If anything, I'm a little worried about being cool, as they're a fairly tight fit in the waist and hips, and wearing long johns might not be overly comfortable.

Off the bike the pants aren't as comfortable as I was hoping. I was worried at first, that they would be unwearable, but once on the bike they were fine.

I'm sure they'll be nice on a bike trip, but my first impressions are that they won't be very comfortable to wear walking around once you get where you're going.
  14. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wash the pants and if you are walking with them take out the knee pads and hip pads. Makes them more comfortable on the knees, not rubbing your knee caps. I wear a belt with mine but I may put suspenders on them. They will need loops for the suspenders.
  15. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Ordered some Outriders -- should do the trick! At least, I think so -- the knee armor can be in front of the kneecap when standing, not just sitting (which I think should be correct). Now wondering if I can adjust my Sedici's somehow, they're much much lighter than the Outriders, and it's summer. The Klims: A+, thanks!