Shopsmith

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DakarNick, Aug 19, 2019.

1. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    A co-worker gave me an older Shopsmith V. It looks like it has a newer motor and possibly rewired. It fires up and I'm anxious to use it.

Only problem is it doesn't have any accessories. Not even a drill chuck.

Does anyone know if a generic JT33 mount keyless chuck will work? I don't want to spend $140 on the Shopsmith one.

I'm not sure what size shaft the JT33 chuck will work on. The output shaft diameter on the machine is 5/8th".

Thanks
  2. Ducky 149

Ducky 149 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EBay has a good bunch of Shopsmith stuff
    MrBob likes this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, the shafts on the Shopsmith do not have the taper necessary to work with Jacobs taper chucks. Most of tools that mount on the shafts are subject to side loads and would quickly come loose with a tapered mount, so SS uses a straight shaft with a set screw bearing on an angled flat to lock the tools in place.

The only SS part that uses a taper mount is the lathe tailstock, which accepts MT2 tools and adapters. MT2 to JT33 adapters are available from Jet and others, but using one is impractical for anything but drilling centered holes in turned work pieces, and it does not sound like you have the tailstock anyway.

It will be less expensive to watch Craigslist for a complete SS with accessories than to buy individual used parts. If you have to buy individual parts, and you have any other saw options, I would not bother with the saw function. The table is small for a saw, and crosscutting boards longer than about two feet requires matching the height of the extension table. Cutting sheet goods and panels means the fence is on the extension, with the length set by moving the motor and fine tuning with the quill extension. I've built some nice furniture with my Mark V, but adjusting cut depth via table height(s), cutting bevels with a tilt table, and trying to re-create fence setups becomes frustrating and time consuming.

The Mark 5 was my first stationary woodworking tool, and although I now have individual machines for most of the SS functions, it is still used for some part of nearly every project I make. It is a great variable speed woodworking drill press (a little fast for some metal), with a long quill stroke. The small saw table is large drill press table that easily cranks to tilt and move in and out and the fence makes it easy to align holes. It's perfect for horizontal drilling, angled holes, drum sanding, and some milling type operations.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a shopsmith, and concur with the above comment about watching ebay/craigslist/yardsale/etc for a shopsmith lot, and buy that. Then sell off what you don't need.

While I overall like and enjoy my shopsmith, I have found it to make a lousy tablesaw. The reason is the tilting table first, and the weak motor second. It's an ok tool for cutting small pieces of wood for furniture making and such. But trying to rip an eight foot board, it's just not the right tool for the job.
    DakarNick likes this.
  5. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an early model with a ton of attachments: table saw, bandsaw, lathe, mortiser, etc.
    Some of the attachments worked well, and some, like the table saw, did not.
    As my business increased and I needed to speed things up, switching between attachments and setting them up became too time consuming so I went to individual machines and used the SS solely as a lathe.
    DakarNick likes this.