Shorai battery for KTM990/LC8

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by cyborg, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dogsoldier86

dogsoldier86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    Don't have a shorai, I think it's a stock (Yuasa?) battery. And I just use a battery tender I bought a while ago. I'd use the correct charger for the battery though. I don't think the wiring should make a big difference. My tender has an SAE connector for the accessories.
  3. dogsoldier86

dogsoldier86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya, wanted the Shorai charger to just to keep everything the same and would be able to use it on both my bikes. The Shorai charger looks like it has some odd connector so was just seeing if anyone on here made a quick connect for the Shorai charger and what they used.
  4. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a Connection for the special Shorai charger that is a cover on it. Might not be that smart to have that open att all times with something connected to it.

I have not invested in the special charger and Think I will go for some other battery if it fails on me.

/Johan
  5. dogsoldier86

dogsoldier86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually just saw someone that did a post on the charger and some puddy he used to waterproof the connection on the battery and its pretty much exactly the set up I was looking for. Thank you for the reply.
  6. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    My cable has a cap to block off the connection when not being tendered.
  7. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    I took the shorai out of my Hayabusa and put it in my 950. I called Shorai (they are in Morgan Hill Ca now) and asked about a longer cord so I could leave it connected. They sent me two of their 14-16" long extensions free of charge and i had it in my mailbox the next day. Phenomenal service. And I have the Shorai charger. Good setup. Just put one of their batteries in my 450EXC as well.
  8. dogsoldier86

dogsoldier86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the idea, will try giving them a call because I do really like the batteries.
  9. Kavalier

Kavalier Dorkar Adv Poseur

Oddometer:
    FWIW, my Shorai picked this week to finally give it up after two years of so-so service... Light? Yup (and these bikes can afford to loose a few pounds in the front-end)... But the cold cranking warm-up deal is kind of annoying - I went with the recommended battery from their application guide - Maybe I'll give the larger bettery a try that folks have been recommending on this thread.