Short ride up to Bodega Bay for a crab sandwich.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by staudio, Jan 31, 2019.

1. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Ended up not having to work today. With a break in the rain decided to take a quick ride up to Bodega Bay for a bite to eat.
    [​IMG]
    Destination was Spud Point Crab Company, 1910 Westshore Rd, Bodega Bay, CA 94923. Good crab sandwich. And they gave me a sample of the clam chowder which was outstanding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some random photos in Bodega Bay. Where Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds was filmed, which was released in 1963.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Headed back down Highway 1, decided to take a detour on Marshall-Petaluma Road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking towards Tomales Bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This guy, Zero f*#ks given.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice to have the hills green again.
    [​IMG]
    Some locals enjoying the all you can eat salad bar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually back to Lucas Valley Road and home.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    First rate report, Staudio.

I spent some time there many years back while working in the area on a temp. project. We had also come from the area of San Rafael, actually ran into Carlos Santa and his driver at a gas station and said "hey" to him, right after 9-1-1. Carlos pumped his own gas. :lol3 Neat fellow.

I was to that bar from the Hitchcock film to get something to eat, and stayed in a motel pretty well next door to it for a night. I remember seeing crab traps around. A very picturesque area. I was intrigued by the countryside, windy roads, ocean views, and those eucalyptus trees.
    Sfcootz and staudio like this.
  3. staudio

Oddometer:
    California does have its fair share of quirks....but at least in my area there is year round riding. Last few weeks some much needed rain and highs in the upper 50's and lower 60's......meanwhile my in-laws were dealing with day time high yesterday of -22 F.:vardy
    RevyRider likes this.
  4. grantsdad

grantsdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thank you.
    staudio likes this.
  5. 6.54x47L

6.54x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice... I thought they had outlawed cows in California :)
    staudio likes this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Nice countryside!
  7. staudio

Oddometer:
    well due to the amount of methane they produce, they will probably outlaw cows just like they did 2-strokes.:topes
    pigjockey and 6.54x47L like this.
  8. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike and day ride.
    staudio likes this.
  9. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was born and raised in San Rafael. I know the area very well. Way too many bike stories to post. I ride back every now and then to see my grandmothers house on D street
    THANKS
  10. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report, Bodega Bay is usually my lunch spot when Iam out that way.( Usually a Sandwich from the Deli. just before the turn into the bay) The Spud Point Crab Co. must have good eats as every time I pass by there are ALOT of people eating there I must try it.
    staudio likes this.
  11. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    staudio:

Enjoying your pics and posts, here's the rest of the story;

In 1858 at the age of 21, my Great Uncle James "Jim" Henry Cunard (see www.FindAGrave.com for more info on him) left his home in southcentral PA and made his way west the hard way, via the Isthmus of Panama. He arrived in San Francisco with a single Mexican peso in his pocket and joined the "Pioneers of California"!. Like so many others he went to work in the gold mining industry, eventually making his way to the Malakoff Mine Diggings at North Bloomfield in Nevada County, where he worked until the waning years of the Civil War. He enlisted at Nevada City and served with the Union Army's 7th Regiment, California Infantry, Company I between the years of 1864 to 1866. After the war, he returned to the gold mining trade in North Bloomfield. Working his way through the ranks he eventually became the head engineer at the Malakoff Mine Diggings. In August 1870 he returned home by train to visit his family, while there he met his childhood sweetheart "Lizzie" Snively (1850-1873), they were married on Wednesday, August 31st. They left PA a week later on Thursday, September 8th and spent their honeymoon during the three week train ride back to California, stopping along the way to visit the major cities along the route; Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, Chicago, Saint Louis, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Oakland and San Francisco. Shortly after setting up housekeeping in North Bloomfield, Aunt "Lizzie" became ill and died on Sunday, October 23rd. Uncle "Jim" notified Aunt "Lizzie's" family back in PA of her passing and that he would be returning to PA with her casket so that she could be buried at the family farm burial grounds. After the funeral Uncle "Jim" returned to North Bloomfield and continued to work at the Malakoff Mine Diggings, he married his second wife; Sarah Ann Winston (1858-1941), also a PA native and they had two children; George Washington Cunard (1879-1929) and C. Edna Cunard (1883-1981). The Malakoff Mine Diggings were shut down by a court order in 1884 after a judge made hydraulic mining illegal, it seems the massive amounts of water used in the operation was flooding cities down stream, destroying farm land and filling San Francisco Bay with silt at a rate of one foot per year. Afterwards Uncle "Jim" worked for a large English syndicate and served as a mining expert in South America, British Columbia, Korea, Siberia and Alaska. By the turn of the century Uncle "Jim" had moved his family to Oakland, where he spent the rest of life, dying there on Saturday, October 4th, 1919 (1837-1919), he's buried at Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland along with his wife Sarah and his son George Washington Cunard.

So I told you all of that so I could tell you this, thanks for your pics and stories from an area I've only had the pleasure of visiting three times; the "Summer of '69" while I was serving 3 year and 11 months with the U.S. Navy aboard the sub tender U.S.S. Canopus AS-34, the "Summer of 2000" while on a 22 day, 22 state, 8,200 mile ride on my '99 KLR650 and the "Summer of 2018" while on a 38 day, 25 state, 9,558.8 mile ride with my wife on our '07 650 V-Strom. Since I've only been able to spend a short period of time in your neck of the woods, your pics and stories include many areas where my ancestors once lived and it's been great to see some of the same places they saw during their lifetimes and learn more about those areas in the process. I'm currently working with my cousin in FL compiling my Uncle "Jim's" life story and that of his son George, who was from Sausalito. Cousin George worked for the Northwestern Pacific Railroad/NWP in the early 1900's. He was the engineer of NWP locomotive #184, a freight train heading south from Eureka on Thursday February 28th, 1929, that collided head on with NWP locomotive #141, the "Eureka Express", a passenger train heading north from Sausalito or Tiburon. The passenger train missed a signal to pull over to a side track in Hopland and allow the freight train to pass by but for some unknown reason it didn't and a short distance north of the town/village of Largo, the two trains collided head on. The fireman on George's locomotive and the engineer of the "Eureka Express" were killed at the scene, George was badly injured and was first taken north to the Ukiah General Hospital. Then on Friday March 1st he was taken south to the Union Pacific Railroad Hospital in San Francisco, where he had an arm amputated, but to no avail as he succumbed to his injuries on Saturday March 2nd, 1929; ninety years ago next month. His body was cremated and his remains were buried next to those of his parents at Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland; Plot #45/Grave "#184", the same number as George's NWP locomotive!

Thanks for letting me rattle on and on and I look forward to more of your posts in the future.

"The Ride Is Never Long Enough!"

Jeff/JC/SoPaRider; 6th Great Grandson of Antonis "Thones" Coen Heckers Kunders; aka: Dennis Conrad/Conard/Cunard; 1648-1729

We're located just a wee bit west of Gettysburg,PA on the "Lincoln Highway"/U.S. Route 30.
  12. 15's Pop

15's Pop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice pics, and bike.
    thanks for sharing (:
    pops
    staudio likes this.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report, thanks for sharing!

Eric
    staudio likes this.
  14. RevyRider

RevyRider FXD Traveler

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Whenever I ride the PCH, I make a point of stopping in at the Spud Point Crab Shack for their Clam Chowder and delectable seafood! Nice Report. We are stuck in a deep freeze cycle at the moment, going down to -19 celcius, or minus 22 F tonight, ...too cold to think about riding just yet!
    Cheers
    staudio likes this.
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spud Point Crab Shack is now bookmarked for future use.
    Great photos and report.
    staudio likes this.
  16. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Great RR.
    I've ridden by the Crab Shack numerous times on rides, but have never been much on crab. I just looked up the menu and see Tri-Tip.

Have to make another ride out there now.
    pigjockey, staudio and WRC51 like this.
  17. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Ride. I haven't been out for so long...
    Thanks for the report.
    staudio likes this.
  18. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Woke up and it was freezing outside. (Hey! It's Northern California after all)
    But the craving for some clam chowder was powerful. The wife doesn't ride with me, so we played cagers and took a drive out there.

The chowder was the BEST I've ever had.

Now to sneak away during the week and ride over for some more. :D
    motosaint, pigjockey and staudio like this.
  19. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I agree with your assessment of the chowder. I’ve not had any better.
    staudio likes this.
  20. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR. I was born and raised in California, great to see the country again. Took my wife to Bodega Bay 5 years ago, being a big movie buff. Heading back out there again in September.
    staudio likes this.