1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Short rides in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Asia' started by OccRider, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
    Occ,
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing a tour this year, and I'm debating on whether to go on a formal tour...or just rent a bike and a guide..or no guide.

In Thailand, I rented a Honda Transalp XV600 for US$12 per day, expensive by Thai standards...but not bad for a big bore dual sport. I had no guide, and just went off into the hills on paved and dirt roads. No problems - and I wasn't near the Laos or Cambodia border.

You mentioned seeing many Honda XR250 bikes in Vietnam. I'm surprised...were these privately owned bikes? ...or tour group bikes? In the Philippines, only the relatively wealthy locals own a motorbike larger than a 150cc moped. I know there are some Vietnam tour groups using Honda XR200 bikes, a common and reliable workhorse in Asia.
  2. bikermice

bikermice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Warthog,

Surprisingly, they do have XR250 for rental in Vietnam. Came across a shop doing rental and guided bike tours in Hanoi with a wide choice of bikes/prices to choose from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. voyagevietnam

voyagevietnam Vietnam Motorcycle Tours

Oddometer:
    Honda Baja XR 250 bikes are becoming more and more popular for rent, especially in Hanoi. The price is not cheap though (3,000 - 4,000$US for a 1998 model) and rental cost is around 30$US a day. Too expensive but you see a crowd of people everywhere you stop which makes the whole experience much more fun.