Should I buy High Mileage Vstrom 650?

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by IntrepidAdventurist, May 22, 2017.

1. IntrepidAdventurist

IntrepidAdventurist Caged Animal who breaks away from grind sometimes

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have been a member for a while but I am still very new to the forum

and adventure bikes in general!

I have been shopping for an adventure bike and I came across a 2009 Vstrom-650
    it has 48k miles... some farkles. phone holder, skid plate. panniers.

The guy smashed a pannier yesterday and lowered the price to 2100$

He has no maintenance record and purchased the bike from a Colorado resident and then road it across the country for the last month and is trying to sell it in NY before he leaves the country.

He is ridding over to meet me now and show it to me.

I figure i cannot go wrong if I dont find anything wrong with it our hear any bad noises.

Any advice?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/6140503407.html
  2. White Knuckle

White Knuckle Whirlygig Operator

Oddometer:
    If those sweet chains are included then I'd say go for it.
    PA1018 likes this.
  3. mtnlove

mtnlove Long timer

Oddometer:
    i bought an '04 2.5 years ago with 49k on it for $2,200. it has 80,000 on it now and runs like a top. buy it and ride the hell out of it.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to Stromtroopers they start having problems and need rebuilt at ~150k when timing chain stretches beyond correction.

Ask PO when he did valve check last time, check consumables tires, chain, sprockets, check for leaks, etc. Find if any suspension upgrades were done.

Then decide if you are interested. If bike looks like it won't self-destruct in next 15k you should be able to sell it back for about that much in a couple years.

They are great workhorses, great on road tourers which will handle some easier dirt. One of the better 2up choices. But they are not sexy.
  5. KLRTucson

KLRTucson Hey, a bright shiny thing

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2005 with 88,000 miles on it for 1000$. What a bargain. Needed nothing. Ride well enough to make me wonder why I spent 10x that on a GS. Buy it. Flog it. Have fun
    mtnlove likes this.
  6. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    If it runs well, no odd sounds...BUY IT NOW!!!
    Then check out stromtrooper.com - invaluable resource.
  7. mtnlove

mtnlove Long timer

Oddometer:
    at 150,000 miles? if he pays $2100 and gets 110k miles out of it then he has done well. there is a 1000cc version out there with 437k and no major work done. a good testament to these bikes for sure.
  8. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with the others - if there are no big issues, $2100 is a great price. Seriously, 50K isn't a big deal on these bikes. Now, if it needs tires, a chain, sprockets, and the forks rebuilt, that might sway me the other way. But since it is a Strom, I'm guessing it will check out just fine.
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just sold an '07 with 35k on it for $3500 a few weeks ago. Listen to the others in the thread...50k on these bikes is nothing. I know of three 650s close to me here with upwards of 100k and they still run strong.

The guy that bought mine was replacing his that has 140k on it that he's giving to one of his kids.
  10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He smashed a Pelican box? that there is hard to do. But if he did, just go on flebay and buy a used one cheap...problem solved. I do not consider 48K as high mileage, but the first thing I would do would be a valve check.
  11. Motosapian

Motosapian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any mc buddies who can show you the ropes? Do you have tools in your garage? Have you ever changed the oil on anything? If not, are you willing to learn?

Not trying to be a prick but you give little to go on in your OP. If you've never ridden I would shoot for a 200 enduro.
  12. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Like the other chaps indicate, they are very good bikes. That's a Kawasaki guy telling you to buy a SUZUKI.

No worries, you will love it.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    1k has a combination of shorter timing chain and cam gears and thus lesser affected by stretch.

I wouldn't use that 437k Vee as a measurement stick Keith is IBRer his use conditions are different from average Joe.

To OP: check RR output. Stroms were plaqued by stator problem. Suzuki issued recall on Gen2 not sure if Gen1 is affected. Mine was replaced at 10k and had no visible damage, but apparently when they start going they go quickly. But only small number of them were affected, due to glue over spray according to filing.
  14. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 05 had 295000 km when a car hit me and wrote it of, was still running well,never needed cam chains or any other engine work, in fact other than normal maintenance never had to do anything
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    OP, So how did it go??

I'd buy it too. 1000s of hi mileage stroms out there that have had no repairs.
  16. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my '04 in '08 with 19k miles. Paid $4000. It soon needed a chain and tires. It now has 53K and needs a chain/sprockets and tires, but is probably worth about $2100 like the one you're looking at, even after I replace those items. My point is, I suspect that expenses arent proportional to total miles on the odometer, at least until over 100K; they're more just periodic based on wear items. BTW in those 53K miles I've done regular maintenance plus a few batteries, steering head bearing repack, and fork seal replacement, no other repairs.
  17. IntrepidAdventurist

IntrepidAdventurist Caged Animal who breaks away from grind sometimes

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the great advice! It is much appreciated. I have read good things about the Vstroms online but I consider this forum to be the foremose authority in ADV/SportTouring bikes after a few years of lurking in the shadows trying to master the "search" function.

@White Knuckle - The chains are included! If you like them I can give you a sweet deal on them if I buy it!

@Motor7 - He said an Ambulance in Manhattan hit him and broke the case and the pannier rack- he sent pics and it is crushed and the rack is snapped.

- Skip to the bottom if you want to laugh at the Murphy's law of Craigslist

A friend inspired my hunt for a decent ADV bike after he asked me to help him source a decent xr650l. Now we plan on ridding together and I would like something I can take off road a bit and still ride 7.5 hours home on the weekends. So Dual sports are just a bit anemic for what I intend.

@Motosapian - I appreciate your very conservative advice. Sorry I haven't provided much context.

My background- I am an avid hobby mechanic who usually buys projects and repairs them.
    Last year I sold my GSXR 750 after ridding it around the east for a few years NY, PA, NC.
    I have some decent on road experience from years on classics, sport bikes and cruisers. My dirt experience is mostly ridding dirt bikes in the woods and rail road beds growing up, although I spent a couple weekends at Little Sahara, OK and Busco beach NC ridding offroad.

I had searched the forum for mentions of V-strom 650s and gotten an impression of everyone's opinions but I was uncertain about the mileage.

THE BAD------ the best CL deals always have a catch! and it usually begins with the title a.k.a. the law of CL

I talked with the owner and he has some issues. He bought the bike in Florida, with a Colorado title.
    He signed the title and then rode it up the coast using the previous owners plates and registration.

He now wants to sell it to me. The title has positions for multiple owners. After researching it on NYS DMV Website ... for me to buy the bike I would have to Sign under this guys name. Provide proof of insurance and register it in my name (NYS dmv allows a vehicle to be owned by multiple parties and only be registered and insured by one of said owners or even by a non owner with proof that you are being allowed to register it)

Once it is registered in my name DMV will mail me a title with his name and my name on it. At that time it would only require one of the listed owners signatures to sell the motorcycle. So I could sign it and then pay 50$ to re-title it in my own name.

But this is all a very unconventional situation and I am not feeling very comfortable with it. The man selling the bike is completely clueless on how to register or sell a vehicle here in the USA let alone NYS.

And in order for all the said nonsense above to even be remotely possible I would need a DMV form DTF-208 (affidavit of sale) signed by the previous owner (the man from Colorado who is living in Florida who is listed as the current recorded owner)

ALAS he did provide a good reason to negotiate down to 2000$

But he is rushing me to buy it today or tomorrow and he will go with me to DMV to register it to make sure it goes through before I have to pay him.....

I do not like being rushed into things... I may just say no.

Attached Files:

yokesman likes this.
  18. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's a problem. Two years ago on a PNW trip my buddy traded in his KLR for a DL1000 at a dealer in Rapid City ND. Rode it home on his tag, but never registered it. When he tried to sell it in FL, that state wanted $500 in taxes/fees and would only release "new" FL title to him. So, to sell it he had to take care of all that before listing it for sale. Title IN HAND is the only way to fly.
    In Tn, as long as the seller signed the title they don't care how many hands it's been through.
  19. White Knuckle

White Knuckle Whirlygig Operator

Oddometer:
  20. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    That '04 looks like a good bike at very fair price.