Should I fear fallen leaves on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by nathan8752, Oct 3, 2021.

1. nathan8752

nathan8752 n00b

Oddometer:
    Adventurers,

I plan to be riding the Blue Ridge Parkway October 11-14, so I'm leaving in just a few days from northern Illinois. I'm concerned about leaves and/or wet leaves on the road wrecking my trip by causing me to wreck my bike. Does anyone out there have a good guess as to whether I should expect to have that problem on those dates?

Thanks.
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be leaves and maybe they will be wet. You have the same conditions on the roads in Illinois. Adjust your speed to the conditions.
  3. R65_Steve

R65_Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't sweat it at all. Enough traffic through there that any leaves would blow off with a camper rolling by
  4. WonEvil

WonEvil n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden the parkway for years and never found it to be an issue. Ride on!
    greasyfatman likes this.
  5. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Watch out for the grass clippings!!
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Dry leaves have never caused me a problem, and most likely blow off the road up there since it's usually dry and windy.

What I will warn you about is a massive number of leaf lookers in cars, trucks, and RVs littering the parkway. And everyone on the parkway will be clumped up behind a vehicle doing 29mph. Make sure you alot enough time for a very low average speed over your distance.

That said, if you've never been, it really is a national treasure. I was up there last weekend and will be out there another couple weeks from now. Stop at some overlooks (there are tons, so if you miss one just keep going to the next one), and read ahead of time on the attractions and pick a couple, you probably can't stop at all of them.
  7. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The leef peepers will likely be a bigger concern.
    SCPancho, bwringer, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  8. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    All quiet on the BRP right now. Be prepared for moist conditions.
  9. TheBear

TheBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once saw someone in front of me on an RD350 go straight off the edge on a corner under full brakes. That was on Brown Mountain in southern New South Wales, a road notorious for wet leaf litter. So never discount it.
    Bar None likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    and don't forget all the deer and bears, plus cagers slamming on the brakes to get the photos.
    SCPancho and spokester like this.
  11. MayorOfBBQ

MayorOfBBQ Come at me bro

Oddometer:
    if they are wet they can be pretty slippy. If they are dry, all the traffic keeps them blown clear.

The parkway will be PACKED on the weekend for sure, but Mon-Thurs is a good run, ya did good there picking those dates.

My favorite stretches are from Mt.Pisgah/Pisgah Inn south to Maggie Valley and from Mt.Mitchell State park north to the Viaduct. There will be a LOT of traffic around Asheville (Mt.Pisgah to Mt. Mitchell) and around Blowing Rock/Boone. Most of the leaves will be down/gone at the highest elevations by 10/10 but you still have fantastic views of the lower areas from up there. North of the VA boarder its mostly rolling farm land road, the NC portions are the best.

BRING RAIN GEAR, it supposed to dry up after this week, but spotty rain and for sure MORNING FOG & MIST are a given on the BRP
  12. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Very dangerous. Probably best to stay in Illinois. Actually much safer if you just quit riding motorcycles altogether.
  13. treebumper

treebumper Macro Trav

Oddometer:
    His mistake was hitting the brakes so hard. I live in the Carolinas, and have never had an issue with leaves or cut grass, wet or dry. I's almost like driving on ice or snow, when the debris is present, no hard sudden turns & slow down slowly as you can.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I must admit a riding buddy of mine when I was a bit younger did have a small low side from leaves going up a twisty mountain road here in NC. However, he was absolutely hauling ass in first and second gear on a sport bike, and was leaving no room for error.
    And honestly I don't know if the leaves caused it or if he just ended up in them.
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Actually the weather here is gorgeous right now and riding conditions perfect. A bit early for leaf peepers, I recommend the BRP as a great road thru the middle of some fantastic riding areas. Get off the Parkway and explore some, leave the peepers on the slow road.
    ZanderMan likes this.
  16. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Beware wet leaves and wet tunnels.
  17. jkbeaudin

jkbeaudin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My major caution for anyone riding the Blue Ridge: be careful in the blind corners because there, you will find leaves, gravel and vehicles crossing the center line into your lane! 2nd, it will take you longer than you planned to go the distance, be patient and enjoy the slow moving ride.
    Baloo likes this.
  18. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    The bane of Scotty P’s existence.
    In my experience, I have never found such an amassed amount of wet leaves on the road to be of concern. But I do take caution with any clippings or things of that nature. No crazy breaking or turns when those are present.
    knybanjo likes this.
  19. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

This is a big one. With everyone moving at a snails pace, it's easy to ride up on people, and people will slam on brakes because OMG a real deer eating on the side of the road.

They should go out on the BRP at night, because there are thousands of them all over the place.
    RedEX and Boatman like this.
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    in all the parks, there's more wildlife along the shoulders because people are feeding them through the windows. i can recall many instances where i was coming around a blind curve or over the top of a hill only to find a car, truck, motorhome stopped dead in my travel lane, people throwing apples to the deer or elk. same thing for photos, don't pull off on the shoulder, might scare the poor animal away, miss that all important facebook moment...it never once occurs to these nuts that they might kill someone by parking in the road.

also, i nearly hit a car that did a tire smoking dead stop in the middle of the road to get a photo of a bright red/orange maple tree.
    RedEX and ArielNut like this.