Should I fear fallen leaves on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by nathan8752, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Lowndes

Lowndes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaves are not a problem on the BRP, it's TRAFFIC. Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Flatland tourists that don't know how to drive anywhere and are panicked at a gorgeous view. Otherwise, it's a great ride. Very well kept and scenic views galore. The best time is any Wednesday in late July or early August. It's much cooler up there then. Well, anytime really. The tourists are at the beach or staying inside. Now the ride TO the BRP can be stifling, but it cools down very quickly as you gain elevation. VERY quickly. Remember that.
    RedEX and R65_Steve like this.
  2. R65_Steve

R65_Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK true story. I ride the VRE commuter train to work in DC when we don't have C19. Every year they claim that the leaves land on the track around the incline around Burke and leave their leaf oil on the track. So the passenger train has trouble getting traction and we get late to work. So possible I guess but a train track is, what, 3 wide? Leaves really landing on it and fouling it up?

I figure BRP still sees plenty of traffic to blow off the leaves.
  3. slightlymodified

slightlymodified Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like good time for BRP stories. My brother and I were riding behind a group of Harley riders doing their thing, chugging along at parkway speed, 40 mph, I made sure I gave the rider in front of my plenty of room, so as not to push him to increase speed on my account. At one turn, I watched him slowly drive off the road, like he was unaware of need to follow curve. He laid his bike down in the grass, missing the ever present stone wall, a half dozen feet from the road. We helped stop traffic, right his bike, and give him a bottle of water to drink, while he recovered.
  4. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP - what do *you* think you are going to do? Are you going to cancel your trip if people post up saying there will be a ton of wet leaves on the road? Or when you get out there after people have said there won't be any wet leaves on the road, are you going to rip the corners dragging knee?

The road is a random place. From day to day, week to week, hour to hour, or sometimes even minute to minute the surface conditions and safety margins can change dramatically. Whether it's snow or stepladders, mattresses or moss, leaves or lawn chairs, you never know what you're going to find around the next corner.

So....what do you think you should do?
    ArielNut likes this.
  5. mullman

mullman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent 6 days and nearly 900 miles exploring Western NC and Eastern TN including riding half of the BRP. Only real issue was traffic. Otherwise temps 39-72, heavy morning fog, and being on the Dragon when the Ferrari flipped Wednesday.

27DEAEE0-4F55-452D-8E69-9C487B02FD64.jpeg
    gen1fizzy, dp064 and RedEX like this.
  6. CROM

CROM Canuck del sur

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy that went down years ago from a couple of wet leaves on a corner...will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Definitely slows me down in the fall
  7. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    14,000 ft bubba! Those smokies are just ant hills. Top of Pikes Peak, nuff said.
    gen1fizzy, Chotu and dp064 like this.
  8. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    One and only post, never logged back in after making it. Hope the grass clippings didn't get him before he had a chance to look at the leaves. :patch

Screenshot_20211028-075556.png
    Storz likes this.
  9. Storz

Storz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride it several times per week (Near Boone/Blowing Rock) and its not a problem
  10. LesZman

LesZman Peddledriver

Oddometer:
  11. LesZman

LesZman Peddledriver

Oddometer:
    WoW!! that's changed a LOT in the 35 yrs or so since I've been up there. Was just an open lot with a couple of pit toilets. Dirt road to the top also.
    ggggGary likes this.
  12. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

..hmm.. you may be thinking of a different Blue Ridge Parkway.. :lol3
    ggggGary likes this.
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice photo. I have been up PP several times on motorcycles and autos, no big deal! First time was back in the 1960s in a 1957 VW Bug.
  14. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a recent photo? Last time I was up there (2015) both the road and the parking lot were paved. I would like to think they've changed their minds and un-paved the road again...
    ggggGary likes this.
  15. RolfS

RolfS n00b

Oddometer:
    Snarky…
  16. drazorh

drazorh n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode to the Rosman, Cashiers, Sylvia, Wayneville, Brevard, NC areas today including the BRP. Many of the leaves are off the trees on the parkway and we’re not an issue. When the leaves are gone the tourists will be home and we’ll have these great motorcycle roads to ourselves for the winter. Some rain tonight and tomorrow with windy conditions for the next few days will take care of the leaves that are left up high.
    Picture is on Hwy 215

Attached Files:

oic and knybanjo like this.
  17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not like the metal bridge seams across the BRP when I rode it for the only time, and it poured rain. Going into the bridges on a curve spooked me, so I was taking evasive maneuvers to straighten the bike up as I crossed them.

I haven't seen seams like that out west, is it an eastern thing? or just on the BRP? I feel like they were two feet wide, bare metal, but I may be exaggerating that in my mind. It was a while ago.
  18. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    This is too late for the OP and most leaf peepers going in peak October season but in my opinion the most dangerous parts of the BRP are at the entrances and exits to the overlooks. Many overlooks are in curves and exits are blind to approaching traffic on the BRP. Some joker leaving the overlook looks both ways (maybe) and sees nothing so pulls out onto the BRP. The worst situation is the ones that pull out and cross both lanes to go the other direction. The worst accidents I've seen on the BRP itself are variations on this theme.
    4PawsHacienda, gen1fizzy and Boatman like this.
  19. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Agree. A few weeks ago I Had two consecutive cars cross my lane turning into an overlook with very little room for error for me. I was quick on the brakes to scrub off my speed. My guess is the first car obstructed car #2’s sight of me.
  20. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    and 39 posters took the troll somewhat seriously.
    knybanjo likes this.