Should I run Screaming from this R1100 Frankenbike?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by brendanclarke, Nov 2, 2020.

1. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the title, I'm considering the purchase in the EU of a later-year R1100. I test drove a '94 a few weeks ago, but at 140kkm and no service info it seemed a little risky. I'm gong to take a look at this:

https://www.sbazar.cz/steklousl/detail/122878573-bmw-r-1100-gs

Any reason other than an accident that the front end would get swapped? Obviously I need to do a VIN check. I like how it looks, how concerned should I be?

Thank You!
  2. Gaazz!!

Gaazz!! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a 97 myself. The one you show has a LOT of non oem stuff on it. Could be harmless but also a crashed one. I prefer the kalahari yellow one in the other ad. Dont bother about the mileage if it got its service regularly. From 97 they got the improved gearbox. Swap the breaklines. swap oil / filters and brakefluid and ride!
  3. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people just like the look better, think I’ve seen one 1100 with a 1150 front and a 1200 headlight..
  4. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VIN comes up clean... are the forks on the 1100 prone to fragility or misbehaving? I haven't heard anything about that. FWIW he says he's been riding it like that for the past 7 years anyway.
  5. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't the price too close to the average? If you buy it you'll definitely be its last owner, I don't think it's worth the risk unless you're paying next to nothing. Without any prejudice, it screams of a frontal collision in its history, and you'll have to prove otherwise if you ever want to sell.
  6. roog909

roog909 The answer is no

Oddometer:
    Yaycep is right on the money, literally. Resell value will be next to naught with added miles, these bikes will only have some residual value if they are stock and somewhat collectible.
  7. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hm. I'm inclined to agree. There aren't a whole lot of options in the Czech Republic unfortunately (looking for post 97 with up to 100-ish thou) but I can take a look at importing from DE once things are a bit less insane. I'm not in a particular rush. I'll probably still go test ride this one, but unless he's willing to come down significantly (not likely) probably not...

I don't really care about collectibility. I plan on riding the piss out, but it would be good to be able to re-sell and not lose a huge amount in case I ever have to move again.
  8. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely looking for a 97+. Can you elaborate on service for high mileage? I found a couple of sellers with earlier-year bikes that talked about getting final drive replacement/refurb around 100k. There's a couple bikes around that are 110-150 but otherwise nice, but this has me nervous. Did these guys just screw something up and not do a maintenance point?
  9. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, back to the frankenbike - I see a lot of R 1100 GS with a protector on the telelever wishbone to prevent damage in case the steering breaks the stops. (https://www.dsbikeprotection.com/en/bmw-r1100-gs-guards/steering-stop-guard-bmw-r1100-gs-224). If it's been damaged in this way, are there places on the frame or steering neck where I would be able to tell? I feel confident I can ID busted stop tabs on the neck, but some posts on here mention metal frame tabs too. I'm not sure where those would be.

And if so is that a reason to be more or less mistrustful of the bike? In this case is the A-Arm likely to cause damage to the pivot points in the frame that can manifest later on?

Still gonna go take a look tomorrow since the weather's supposed to be nice anyway. Probably not gonna adopt it unless he comes way way way down on the price. Mostly just want another reference point on how these bikes are meant to handle.
  10. brendanclarke

brendanclarke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to close out the thread, the bike did drive really nice, actually. Happy to have a second baseline on how these are meant to perform. But there were too many other upcoming issues to ignore (foremost, the tank had a liner that was starting to peel). And there was no sign of price movement. I got a very strong 'listing this bike so I can tell my wife I'm in the process of selling it' vibe.

Plan for now is to take a look at some early year 1150s around. I don't really want or need the sixth gear but I can stretch for it and they look to be in better shape generally around CZ. Cost of importing a decent 1100 from Germany would probably put the price up there anyway. Thanks for all the help!