Should I ship my bike to Singapore?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Saulo, Mar 29, 2008.

1. cstay66

cstay66 n00b

Oddometer:
    japanese bikes are more popular here in singapore due to its cost, after sales service and support.

if cost is not an issue to you, 1200 gs or adventure, ducati, triumph etc are readily available. services are good too.

dont worry about parts and service, many workshops here are competing to give their best to the growing biking community.

1200cc is not that big in singapore. we have stx, fjr, harley, ducati on the road everyday. though in city traffic, you may find yourself easy on smaller cc. but who cares. big bike rules and draws greater attention from other traffic users. mid-size bikes like 600cc-650cc-750cc are common with singaporeans due to economical and safety reason. i am currently riding a weestrom.

as for bike touring, biking trips, log on to www.singaporebikes.com and join us for touring to malaysia and thailand. some even go to cambodia and laos. many other bike clubs and websites on bikes and bikings too.

they are many riders who organise such trips for free, just for the love of biking. i love malaysia and thailand.

come. you will fall in love with singapore, malaysia and thailand too. :clap

2. Xomaman

Xomaman AKA: Critter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cstay66! Sounds like a plan! I look forward to going there.

If a 650 is a good size there maybe that's what I'll get. I don't ride too fast anyway and would rather have the longer distance capability on a smaller cc bike with good fuel consumption. The Japanese bikes are generally very reliable.

I once rode about 3,000km on a Honda Phantom 250cc up in Thailand and was amazed at how reliable it was and good on gas. It lacked power, but I just could not kill that thing. Sometimes for an hour at wide open throttle! It was an already beat-up rental too.

If you have a weestrom that's a very good sign! That was one of my choices but we don't have any locally here. There are a few new Versys I looked at that might make a good long distance bike there as well as a good nimble bike in the city.

What's your thoughts on the Verys there? I saw on the Singapore bikes board that there are a few there.
  3. bikermice

bikermice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a few Versys here in Singapore. My guess is less than 20 units on our roads here. It's a good bike from what I can gather, but most local riders has some negative impression of kawasaki, mostly due to the lack of spares/spport readily available by the local agent. The only common Kawasaki here are mostly the bigger ZXs and that's about it. KLR? Never get to spot one so far. The most popular Japanese brand here will be Honda, followed by Yamaha, Suzuki, and lastly Kawasaki. Get the Versys if you like it, there is always the alternative way of ordering your parts online, like I did mostly for my DL650. It's not that a brand new machine needed so much spares anyway.

I think the Honda Phantom that you had in Thailand was a 200cc 4-stroke, the older model was a 150cc 2-stroke which had better power. Both being made in Thailand too. This is a bread and butter model here in Singapore too, pretty reliable machine.
  4. bikermice

bikermice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Known of this shop here but did not have any dealings with them so far. What are you intending to get from them?

5. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asheville, NC/ Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    I ordered an Airoh Stelt helmet and paid for it via Paypal 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was told it was in stock and would ship that day. I even paid for so called super express 3 day shipping and I still don't have the helmet. I am getting alot of false promises. I will give the guy a chance to make it right but I don't want anyone else to have the same problems if he indeed is not good to deal with.
  6. bikermice

bikermice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow that sucks, I guess you got to keep pressing them or else ask them for a refund and forget about the helmet. Will take note of their reputation, thanks for the info.
  7. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Will let you know how it shakes out. I will see if he makes it right as I know mistakes can happen.
  8. cstay66

cstay66 n00b

Oddometer:

versys is readily available here. a good run for dl 650 and a strong contender.

strommy is a small community here. the last round up on the singapore bikes forum is about less than 30 pcs. should be more than 30 pcs on the road in singapore.

we had a hard time to gather all strommers here cause everyone is busy with their work. but we had a forum in sbf to share our love for this bike and biking: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4440484&posted=1#post4440484

versys is gaining popularity with its newer and slimmer look.

weestrom is getting old, and to some it's ugly.

to me, weestrom rocks. :rofl
  9. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    This guy is the worst kind of crook. I have never had a bad experience dealing with any motorcycle accessory dealer anywhere in the world until I dealt with this crook. Stay away from this guy unless you want to lose your money.
  10. kmax

kmax Kruzer

Oddometer:
    hey Fustercluck, how does it turn out ?

i've heard some stories about this shop and would you care to share with us ?

11. Fustercluck

Oddometer:

I have listened to lies and falsehoods for this guy for over a month now. I had to file an online complaint to try and recover my money as he said he wasnt refunding or shipping what I paid for. I wil update again when it ends if ever but I would not deal at all with this shop unless you enjoy headaches and lies.
  12. kmax

kmax Kruzer

Oddometer:
    sorry for ur incident... hope u get ur money back as you've paid thru paypal.

Regards..
  13. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update. It is Nearly November and I still have no helmet or refund and nothing but taunts form this dealer. I filed a report with the police there but they won't do anything. I filed with Paypal but this guy is slick enough to have drained his account with them during their investigation. They ruled in my favor but claimed they couldn't recover the funds. I have since contacted an attorney there. I contacted Airoh and let them know he was using their name and products to rip people off but they never replied. I don't mind so much losing the money as I do him getting away with cheating honest bikers. I am simply posting this in hopes no one else will lose any money to this guy.
  14. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey dude....i can feel your pain...

he is a long distance riding friend....meaning,we don't see each other unless its a coincidence during rides...

anyways,i hate this kind of treatment and will not side with anyone...

I see that you have failed to recover your money...

I heard some stories from friends...

Anyways,my point here is..

try sent your warning message in this link....it could be powerful as this is a popular local dirtbike forum...he is there selling his stuff...which i don't like people selling stuff but never stated price and expect us to call and guess why?its always expensive to state the price.maybe he will reply to your post...i would like to hear and see both sides of the story.It would be great learning experience.

http://main.slackriders.com/Forums.html

Do register yourself...feel free to browse....I'm in there as well...

Cheers.....i hope justice is done!!
  15. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, will do. I knew his price was a bit high but the one I ordered is not sold here in the states and Ihe promised to have it here in 3 days for a ride I was goig on so I paid extra for his so-called 3 day super express shipping. It has been 4 1/2 months since I paid for this and I have nothing but verbal abuse and lies form this vendor. I have copies of all receipts and emails he sent taunting me as well. I never wanted to get in a pissing match with this guy as I don't have time for that crap and the games he wants to play. I only want what I paid for in good faith or a refund if he could not provide it. He simply used his website and false promises to rip me off.

I have bought alot of gear from this site and dealers all over the world and had no problems with anyone but this guy. I have always paid instantly as I did to him but he is the only person to ever not send what I paid for and refuse to refund my money. Most gear dealers and bikers are decent people that I enjoy dealing with but this guy is sure the opposite.
  16. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah man....

I think you should act....i can't do much...as he is running a biznez...

And at this point,i can't attack him because its not my story..people might start shooting at me for giving him a bad name in which the deal he did is not with me...
    You need to post some sense direct at him in that forum i gave you..

I'm sure others who have a bad experience with him will come forward too....trust me...some of my friends have their share...i just don't want to interfere as i have no deal with him...i have to back away from him all that i know of...

cheers...
    AJ
  17. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Thanks, no problem as I am not looking to involve anyone else or have someone fight my battles for me. I tried to register on the site you gave me and have yet to receive an approval email where I can post there. As soon as I get one I will ask him nicely where my helmet or money is. Thanks for steering me to that site.
  18. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Posted to the site in his thread, thanks for the info. Will see if he replies in a sane manner this time. All I get from him are taunts and threats. He gives good dealers a bad name.
  19. Fustercluck

Oddometer:
    Well two weeks after posting an inquiry to him on the forum you suggested there is still no reply. This guy is a real piece of work. I appreciate you letting me know of that forum though and will see if he ever replies there.
  20. vonmucks

vonmucks Touring, middle name

Oddometer:
    OMG.
    This is like one of the worst shop ever.

M-technik is so much better. :D

Back to the topic, i believe it is much easier to sell off your current bike and get a new one here in Singapore.

Don't worry about parts/services, there are plenty of competent workshops around.