Should I take a chance on this one NX650 - needs some TLC

Discussion in 'Australia' started by cobrin, Jun 7, 2020.

?

Take a chance on it?

1. Buy it!!!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Run don't walk RUN!!!

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  3. I like candy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    :lurk
  2. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone, I've finally secured a motorcycle that I'm chuffed to own. It's no Dominator but that's okay, drove 4hrs to check it out and took 4hrs to ride back. Had a ball even with a bit of light rain.

cb500x 7a.jpg
    Bloody fuel efficient Townsville to Cairns in 9.06L

So bloody happy right now.
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jolly good show old chap!
    cobrin likes this.
  4. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    I'm still pinching myself, long time returning rider and I wasn't completely sure about the ride home but minutes into the ride I realised it were all in my head. Before I knew it hours felt like minutes landmarks come and gone and I were home.

Was nice to meet a seller with integrity, its in immaculate condition, a fair amount of bike for the money tbh.

Too excited yesterday to remember to post - 2016 CB500X 32K kms $4K

Today I left in the morning, as mate came over to look at the bike and suggested we go for a ride. In the blink of an eye it's 5pm. Who knew riding were this much of a 'time suck'. Seemed to go a lot slower in the mid 90's, you had all day to enjoy it lol.

As for today's ride:
    Poor mate came off, a slow one but shocked him a bit as to how it happened. Wet tight downhill twisty road with plant matter (and he earlier warned me about it being greasy). he went for the rear brake and said he had nothing. I think no rear brake suggests it locked up and I think he panicked and went for a handful of front brake and down he went. He's not sure. The rear brake worked when we got it metres to an open corner/shoulder. Lucky the majority of it is cosmetic both bike and Jacket/Pants; bit of skin off below the knee and off the elbow. Bit of a wake up call to ride to the conditions I reckon. He was going faster than I were, I was still settling in with the bike and I lost vision of him up ahead. I noticed the advisory speed signs for some corners at 20kph and after checking my speed I'm doing them at 35-40kph on some dry corners. I decided to slow it down and minutes later he's had an-off on a wet tight downhill lefty.

I've always thought that the first 2wks of having a new (to you) MC or vehicle is the most dangerous time where the risk that you'll have an accident or the like is high. So take it easy take it slow enjoy it till the first two weeks are up, by then the urge to something stupid has usually passed. This has been successful for me dating way back to my teens but lets be real, anecdotally it's a superstitious thing. I'm putting today's 'off' in that saved column too. Could have easily been me.
  5. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    I presume he bought the bike?
  6. saltyD

saltyD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strange - I read that first as "taking it carefully with a new GF".. I think the advice stands well there, too ;)
    cobrin likes this.
  7. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    Lol no no no, on the GF front that's a different methodology, go in, go hard, go often lol though it does too now you mention it .

Simosez sorry I didn't clarify to well, it were his own bike he had an off with not mine.
    Simosez likes this.
  8. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's proof you don't need 150 hp to have fun.

Nice looking bike.
    cobrin likes this.
  9. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Always in the back of my mind when people get excited about doing up shed (or leaning against a fence) finds and all they have to start with is a handful of rusty spokes and fuel tank cap, and then show the restored unit, they usually have another bike or two running and regoed. :lol3 Maybe I spent too long fixing stuff on the farm, but personally I'd rather buy a bike to ride straight away. But of course whatever floats your boat and I do admire the dedication people have to doing up old stuff from steam traction engines to bikes. :D
    Farmer Roy and cobrin like this.
  10. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    I wanted to ride straight away also but I didn't mind buying a bike like an XR6 or NX and pull down/inspect/order parts/powder coat and paint and then rebuild.

Now that all is said and done I couldn't be happier with what has transpired. My god I've missed what riding offers.
    flinders_72 and ktmgeoff like this.