Should I take a supermoto down through Mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mookie-Flav, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mookie-Flav

Mookie-Flav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I just bought a Husky SM610 (it'll be a here in a couple days) and have since then lost my job (hooray!). I've now got a couple months free and was thinking that Mexico sounded cool.

Seattle --> Baja (east side?) --> Copper canyon (perhaps) --> south --> Guatemala maybe, who knows, whatever seems nice I guess.

I realize the Husky probably isn't the ideal adventure rider but maybe some more dirt oriented tires and maybe a bigger gas tank if I can find one and it would probably work I figure.

I have literally zero dirt experience (aside from hitting the dirt in the death chute at pacific raceways and learning where not to attempt a pass), this is my first single, and would be my first time in Mexico (I've been to Ecuador and Belize before).

Am I stupid for thinking I could do this? All I want to do is avoid tourist bullshit and have a neat adventure somewhere warm. And tacos. Hooray for tacos.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Go..Ride...Post Pics...
  3. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a perfect bike for the job. Get you some Avon Gripsters and a cheap digital camera. Leave the rest to fate.

How long between oil changes on that bugger? :evil
  4. funseeker

funseeker Why Not??

Oddometer:
    get a cumfy seat and go for it.
  5. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    This past winter on my travels thru Mexico i started to wish i was on my sm ! DO IT.... Take the whole west coast down!!!!!!! Amazing twisties!!!
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    If you stay on the slab or graded dirt you will be fine, go offroad in the sand and you will wish you had some knobbies.:eek1

If you stay in motard shoes and are in Baja, dont miss the 60 mile long Observatory road that goes from just south of Colonet east up into the mountians and the San Pedro Martir observatory, amazing twisties and hardly any other vehicles.:clap Use caution though, many decreasing radius curves and if you leave the road, its a long, long, long way down.

The west side of Baja will be chilly, the east side will be a bit warmer. If you dont want to change wheels I would at least get some tires that wont scare the hell out of you in the dirt. Baja is all about the dirt.
  7. Flying Trash Can

Flying Trash Can Occasionally Unhinged.

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  8. cycletlh

cycletlh Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer:
    It is not what you ride, but that you ride!!!

People have ridden Mexico on almost everything imaginable. A Husky 610 SM could easily be in the top 10% of preferred bikes. Wish I had one. One of the best looking dirt bikes out there in my opinion.

Only mod that I see really necessary is a larger tank. Gas can be a challange in Mexico!

Give us a report when you get back.
  9. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. Mookie-Flav

Mookie-Flav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's just the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll take as many destination roads as I can get my mitts on....

I'm trying to decide what kind of tires to get. It's got some Dunlop sport tires of some sort which would probably make it to San Diego (they are pretty squared off already) and then I'll need to switch to some more dirt oriented tires (suggestions?) that will work with my 17" wheels.

I just ordered an IMS 5 gallon tank and am trying to figure out what to do about saddle bags.

Valve adjustments are every 3000 miles so I figure if I get it done right before I leave it'll be good for the long haul and if not I'll just have to figure out how to do it myself.

I just rode the bike for the first time today (whee!! sorry about your lawn lady! :evil) so I've got to put some miles on it this week to figure out what all I'll need to adjust before I take off (gearing, ergo's suspension etc). It's been a hoot for the for few miles, but I'm wondering if my ass can hang with that stock seat for much more.

Is the Renazco really worth the money? Are there any more options that are less spendy?
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Your 610 in any form is a sweet bike for Baja. About some dirt friendly 17" tires, I know they are out there and there are some decent choices. I would ask around on the Thumpertalk DRZ forum as those guys were always looking or a good dual purpose tire pair for 17" wheels.
  12. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Seat will be your only limitation.

Start looking for a custom seat or make your own.

You will be doing the speed limit anyhow ... on the freeway :deal.

I know somebody that did the hilliest roads in Mexico with a DR 350 and had a blast.
  13. Mookie-Flav

Mookie-Flav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, after my first hour and a half in the seat this thing is awesome. And my ass WILL NOT make it to Mexico (or Tacoma) on this seat. But it was pretty damn fun. Got it up to about 85 mph on the 5 to see how it felt. Guess I'll have to get used to going slow (at least on the straights) :)

What kind of gearing are people running? 1st gear seems sort of pointless at the moment (seeing as how starting in second gear was easy as pie) and another 10 mph on the top end could help out a bit for sure.
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    If you intend to go exploring, I'd look at two additional things.

How far can you go on a tank of gas? If you get off the beaten path (be it paved or not) you may not find gas stations when you need them. It's easy to solve, fill the tank every time you see a gas station and have, say 60 miles on the tank, but stopping every 60 miles gets old quickly.

The other is tire life. Some tires are not easy to come by outside the larger cities. If you buy anything that looks like a dirt tire in the sizes I think you need for that bike (120/70-17 and 160/60-17) you'll need new tires in 3K miles or less. If you plan to go all the way to CA, you need to plan where you'll find replacement tires.

Gustavo
  15. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    I would agree. I've done a few thousand miles in Mexico on the dirt. For a combo of lots of highway miles mixed with occasional offroad, I love the gripsters. They'll go 8k miles and they're not bad off pavement. I've been to Copper Canyon riding gripsters without a problem. Now, I don't think I'd want to do any serious mudding with gripsters, but ......hell......I really don't care to do any serious mudding.
  16. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Check your PMs Mookie Flav! I's gots no address to send da title too!:lol3
  17. Mookie-Flav

Mookie-Flav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever put a 17" rear knobby tire on the front wheel of a super moto? I'm having a terrible time finding any decent 17 inch dirt tires and don't have the time or money to buy a new set of wheels.

BTW, just ordered a 5 galloon IMS tank and the big set of Dirt Bagz. So hopefully luggage and gas range will be taken care of.
  18. TommyA

TommyA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing a thread where someone put a Continental TKC (?) on the front of their KTM 625. It looked pretty wicked. Maybe do a search in the thumpers section.
  19. perkgana

perkgana az-peru

Oddometer:
    Im heading down to mexico on a XR650R end of march, down to Puerto Vallarta then loop to mazatlan and the crossing into La paz and ride baja north back to the states. Interested? Im travelling solo from Puerto Vallarta on.

perkgana@hotmail.com
  20. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    A DR650 has a 17 inch rear wheel and runs a 120 width tire. So yes, you can run a rear knobby on your front wheel. The big twin dualsports run rear knobbies that should fit your rear tire.

I have a motard and looked into doing this, but never actually done it. That wide front wheel might actually be good on sandy sections. Since you have no dirt expierence you don't know what it feels like anyway to have a "proper" 21 inch skinny knobby.

Goodluck, I don't see how you can't have an awesome trip.

Adventure motarding is the best!