Should I trade my F650gs for a F800????

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ADVHOG, Oct 14, 2008.

?

Trade my 650gs for the 800gs?

1. Keep the 650, stupid.

2. Get the 800, stupid.

3. Get both. (AR15.com)

4. I have no opinion.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ADVHOG

ADVHOG Tattooed White Trash

Oddometer:
    I am having a serious dilemna.

I finally got a 650. A 2006 to be exact. I love the bike. I have put over 8,000 miles on it since July.

I can get a F800gs in 3 to 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure I would REALLY love this bike.

What's a boy to do?:huh
  2. Maloney

Maloney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go with the 800. When you do, keep me in mind for your 650. I may be in the market sometime in Jan.

Good luck.
  3. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you got the money to throw away, heck go for it!!! If not, just keep enjoying your current bike which does the job well for you...:rofl
  4. brnsfn

brnsfn Brownsfan

Oddometer:
    Just do it. Stop playing. You know you're gonna. Do these people in here KNOW your bike purchasing issues? The thing you should do is add on to your garage!!!
  5. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Swap the motors and have the fastest 650 and the slowest 800. :D
  6. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the same problem. I'm on the list for an 800 that is supposed to be here in a week or two. Very excited about that, but as the time closes, I look at my 2006 F650 and wonder what the hell I'm doing. Here's why:

2009 F800GS

1. Of course I'll love the new bike, but will I love it to the tune of 17K+ once it's well farkled?
    2. It's a first model year - a year or two from now, what do you think BMW will change on the bike that would make me wish I waited?
    3. You can't get parts from BMW yet. According to my dealer - touring windshield, backorder - skid plate, back order - hand guards, back order, mantenence CD, backorder...
    4. No one has good aftermarket items for it yet, much less has anyone had them out in the field to see which are best.
    5. No one has posted the process necessary to run the valves, much less most other routine maintenence.

2006 F650GS

1. Paid for.
    2. Late model year that is uber reliable with no surprises. Essentially, all BMW could do with it.
    3. Already accessorized with 21,000 miles of bullet-proof use - BMW hand guards, Hippo Hands for Winter, Wunderlich windshield, Corbin seat, Wolfman Denali, Caribou Luggage
    4. It's gotten me out in the dirt with KTM 990 Adventures and such and not made a total fool of me.
    5. 60+ MPG
    6. After getting ripped for $300 on a 600 mile maintenence, I've done all necessary work on the bike since - cheaply done by a mechanic who cares, me.
    7. Bike Bandit.com for parts cheap.
    8. F650.com. I'm not real social there, but what a site for bike info.

BUT I WANT ONE!!!

1. Newer is always better, right?
    2. I'l do my part to support the world's economy.
    3. 21" front wheel.
    4. 9" suspension.
    5. 85 HP.
    6. Six-speed box.
    7. Easier freeway cruising and two up??? One can hope.

What to do? What to do? One minute I'm salivating over the thought of a new bike, the next I'm thinking like a newly-hatched practical American who wants to live more frugally. Best of luck ADVHOG!!!
  7. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I rode an 800 & 650GS last weekend at the Falling Leaf Rally.
    I was impressed :thumb
  8. Keystone

Keystone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go with both! I did!

I have my '05 F650GS I bought in march in order to tide me over until the 800 got here. I wanted cheap, reliable, undepreciable transportation and I knew from previous experience that the F650GS fit the bill with buckets of fun in the bargain.

The F800 is reliable so far, but can't be considered either cheap or undepreciable, so my original purpose for getting the six-fiddy is still sound.

Since I picked up my 800GS I've put over 1400 miles on the F650 and 1800 miles on the F800. I've ridden both of them today. The 800 wears knobs and the 650 wears street tires.

The 650 will be worth pretty close to what I paid for it when it comes time to sell, so I'm not losing any money. I could sell it to any of a number of willing buyers I can think of off the top of my head.

I've recently replaced the chain, sprockets, steering head bearings, brake pads, tires, and other things on the 650. It's a pleasure to work on.

The 800 doesn't have any plastics on it right now -- it's also a pleasure to work on.

There's a lot to be said for each and I love the 800GS to death, but when it comes to ripping up the highway to get to an appointment, or commuting to work, I find myself swinging my leg over the old standby, the regular-grade fuel swilling F650GS.
  9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    There are several people on here with both...but there are a few that have/are trading up.

Maybe you should ask DolphinJohn his opinion. He's recently acquired an F800GS and is selling his F650GS....I think.
  10. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    had the same dilema and had planned to wait a couple more years before making the move. I was enjoying the F650GS a lot and had got it accessorised pretty much how I wanted it. Plus I figured I'd let others do the new model testing to work the bugs out.

That all changed a month ago when a deer decided to hasten my decision. The 650 is a writeoff, so I'm going to be getting the F800GS much sooner. I'll be putting in the order soon for early spring delivery.
  11. ADVHOG

ADVHOG Tattooed White Trash

Oddometer:
    Alright.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and put money on it.

I guess I'll have to put the 650 up (so I don't get screwed on trade in).

Thank you all for the replies and I will post pics (hopefully in about six weeks).:clap
  12. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the 800 at Falling Leaf also, thought it had way more zip than the 650 (800) I rented in europe. I had some thought about getting on the list but think I'll wait for for the used ones to show up.
    I may spend the same money on a 1200gs, I'm seeing what look like bargains showing up but have one more bike to sell before shopping.
    Jim
  13. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode my Dakar to BMW, rode the 800, rode my Dakar home, cleaned it, put for sale signs on it, ordered an 800, sold the Dakar and another bike, and am now waiting for my 800 to arrive. Its taking too loooooooooooooooooooong and I maight have to wait until November, or worse, December till it gets here!! It hurts!!!:cry:cry
  14. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    About a month ago, I traded in my '05 650GS on the '08 650 twin. Like you, there wasn't really anything I didn't like about the old 650, but now that I have done it, I LOVE the new 650!

Enjoy your new bike!!!
  15. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I sold my F650GS Dakar Great bike!!!!!! and got the F800gs...
    it is the Dakar on roids! the computer, the engine purr and the 6 speed is what i missed from my old 1150gs. I got it back with the 800.:clap

If I dont spend my money my wife will:evil
  16. brnsfn

brnsfn Brownsfan

Oddometer:
    Rumor has it you picked up the new 800 yesterday. I would think a picture here would be great!!

Rumor also has it you rode your trade in over an hour to get there, and rode the 800 back, over an hour. Northern Ohio. Fo Real?
  17. Eurastus

Eurastus Hej på dej!!

Oddometer:
    This sounds like what I did in early November. I rode the '07 Dakar 70 miles to the dealership and traded it in on a new F800GS then rode 75 miles home (a bit longer longer route 'cause I avoided the freeway on the brand new bike).

From the first 200 yards on the F800GS, I knew I'd made the right decision. These bikes aren't even playing in the same league. The 650 single is using 15-year old technology for the most part; the 800 twin is the latest and greatest...and it feels exactly that.

I'm very glad I made the switch and would recommend anyone else do likewise.
  18. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Here's what you do:

1. Workout the changeover cost, remembering to include taxes, higher insurance premiums, and finance costs.
    2. Go see SWMBO (if there is one) or whoever normally supplies you with beer (if there isn't) and work out a plan to free up the changeover money.
    3. Screw the 800 - use the cash you've just freed up to ride to Alasa this summer, or fly over here and ride around Oz.

Seriously, I want an 800 too, but I'd wait until the inevitable mid-life update arrives. Never buy a first-of-series bike, even if it is a BMW!
  19. shoxroxice

shoxroxice Likes this ADV stuff

Oddometer:
    I also just recently gazed upon the F800 and fell in love with it because I love twins - nothing against singles but I like their ability to tackle any situation. Singles seem underpowered, 4-bangers seem over-revvy. The F800GS is the all-around bike in my opinion. I am usually a street rider - have owned 3 kawasaki's (all twins) and love them, but am seriously thinking about selling and getting either the new F650 or F800. Why not sell your older 650 and get a newer one?