Should i?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by M-Chet, Sep 24, 2019.

1. M-Chet

M-Chet n00b

Oddometer:
    100_1647.jpg

I bought this 91 Yamaha dt200r a few years ago and it was my first bike ever. I brought it to a dealer for a safety and it passed, only needing new DOT tires and fork seals. After that I rode it for only a handful of short day trips that summer and I never fully trusted it for longer adventures.

This bike is rare and hard to find parts for apparently. I'm not mechanical and I fear this motorcycle will always give me trip anxiety. Its been in storage for years now and currently wont start.

Over the winter I was considering rebuilding it and teaching myself but.... I'm afraid ill just make it worse.

Is it really worth it? Rare parts for a 1991 bike?
    Would I be better off starting over with a new honda dual sport and save myself the headache?

I have tools and time and it sure would be nice to have a buddy with experience to supervise me but I don't. Now I'm guessing to get it running again would be something very simple like fresh gas, battery spark etc.. but really how trust worthy can an old ass bike be?

Do I teach myself how to work on this rare 2 stroke dual sport or sell it now and run?
    Opinions?

I'm near Ottawa if anyone mechanical wants to help with a winter project and/or a new riding buddy.
    Possibly for sale as well.
    PM me.
  2. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably should ship it to me....
    MotoSpen, fastredbike and M-Chet like this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Ship it too me, I'm closer... I could probably come get it...

Seriously though, at the point this bike is at, (age/condition) I'd say this will appreciate every yr from now till forever.

This thing could be running in 20 minutes. Worst case, a weekend. I'd have a really hard time parting with it. First bike, appreciating a little, and cool as fuck.

If you're concerned about it stranding you, I can understand that and would probably want a newer fuel injected model with double/quadruple the ccs..

That said, it's a fairly basic motorcycle to work on. If you can find the mechanical ability within yourself to get it going and maintaining it, keeping it going on a long trip may be an asset for you.

If you don't need the funds to sell it, and have the space to store it, I'd keep it and get a machine better suited for "longer adventures".
    yamty175, M-Chet and CCitis like this.
  4. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    My daughter has the newer version dr200 the thing is a tank. When she wanted to purchase ..i googled the bikes history in general for the DR model... and ended up sending her a link to a gentleman's RR of his loaded dr200 ride across South America.
    gpfan and M-Chet like this.
  5. M-Chet

M-Chet n00b

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^
    Thanks for the reply. You know, I think I will teach myself how to work on it. I'm not desperate for money and it'll keep me busy.

You mentioned the appreciation factor and now i'm curious. Do bikes like this go up in value much at all? What do you think its worth tuned up and running? what about 10 years from now in same condition. Any guesses? lol
  6. M-Chet

M-Chet n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey - thanks.
    I keep hearing they're indestructible tanks and I ride like a granny so maybe i'm stressing for nothing.
  7. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends what you want to do and your financial situation

Its a interesting bike, but do you want to stick to light dual sport rides or try and spend some time on the highway and do trips
    if you want to blast around the in area where you live, sure keep it and fix it
    there isnt much if any aftermarket support, parts are not readily available, dated technology such as suspension
    If you dump it and damage the case i am sure that you will be screwed for a while while waiting for parts and then to fix it, and you dont have a skid plate. suck something through the bottom end-boat anchor for a summer

I do have several older bikes that i think are interesting, and have developed some sort of yamaha BW addiction. But i also have my reliable daily bikes so that when i want to tinker i can, and when i want to ride im not wrenching

If your just getting into riding, get something reliable that you trust, and has parts readily available and you will enjoy yourself a lot more
    Hate to be one of those guys, but you could probably sell it and get a DR/DRZ/KLR without having to put any money in, and never worry about being stranded, you will gain confidence quickly, easily run down the highway, and even haul some luggage for an overnight trip
    if you can afford 2 bikes i would keep it. if only one bike is a reality sell it to someone who will take care of it and ease it into retirement
    M-Chet likes this.
  8. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen them come up for sale from time to time. Usually on the 2500-3k ranger.

I would say that the bike is more of a regional adventure bike. Maybe a 5 night adventure.

Really, the most likely thing to happen, that is major, would be a top end. Otherwise i think a lot of parts can be found on Ebay.
  9. Joel ph

Joel ph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They were a pretty capable off road bike, some guys would happily ride enduros on them back in the day. I'm sure it's still a capable and fun bike to ride in the woods. It's not cutting edge tech, but certainly still very good.

That said, it's an old bike now. If you need parts, you're going to have to wait for them, either because they're not stocked or because you need to search them out because they're just not available from Yamaha anymore.

Old bikes are a hobby unto their own. I love them, and am (slowly) restoring a 1973 Norton Commando.

At the same time, I have a 2012 690 Enduro to go riding. As much as I'm spending on the Norton and looking forward to riding it, I will NEVER rely on it as my only bike nor take it for long rides. I know that others do, or profess to at least but sometimes I just want a worry-free ride.

Without knowing your situation, I'd keep it and get a newer bike to ride. Then I'd do some fiddling and get it running well. The question is (for me as well) when it's finished and you ride it again are you going to see any point in keeping it? The newer bike will invariably be much better, and the pull of nostalgia will fade. At some point (for me anyways) you'll look at it and think, "I should let someone else get their fill of it (in a good way).