Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any issues other than the occasional honk. Very rarely someone will see me and hug the dotted line. Usually the person next to them moves over to maintain the gap, allowing me to continue unimpeded other than the slowdown for a wag of my finger at the "me-first"er.
  2. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Thats good to hear. We have had lane splitting threads on here before where our own members have threatened bodily harm against illegal lane splitting.

For some reason its an incredibly polarizing issue.
  3. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats my experience too, at least here in DFW as the Fwys get more congested, more people are splitting, lots of CA transplants here that don't know any better.:lol3. I think the cages are getting slooowwwly acclimated.

Have not seen a gun pulled in a traffic or road rage situation, and very rarely hear of one on the news, contrary to the bloodbath in the streets that was predicted by some when concealed carry passed many, many, years ago. Ive got to hand it to them, most of the CCP holders have been quite restrained. Still a lot of road rage? You bet, but we are not gunning each other down in the streets.
  4. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can, but they are going to be in jail, if they are caught.:deal
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:

so in Texas where splitting is illegal, people are doing it and everyone seems to be pretty cool about it and in California where concealed guns are illegal, people are getting shot all the time.

What the hell is going on??

[​IMG]
  6. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most law abiding citizens with a clean record, that go through the process of getting a permit, are not going to risk it all on a Lane splitter.

In CA only the criminals and gang bangers carry.
  7. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so there are criminals there? I thought actors only...
  8. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're not mutually exclusive groups.
  9. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I've taken to filtering to the front at red lights on the rare occasion that I am in a situation that it seems appropriate. Admittingly, it isn't often in my town of about 100K people. Anyway, the handful of times I've done it I have not had any issues with other drivers. There was the one guy in a Scion FR-S that tried to beat me off the line... didn't end well for his ego.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    That's another good point about filtering IMO. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. There's plenty of occasions where I could get to the head of a queue but I simply don't bother because it's not gonna get me all that much. On super hot days, in bad traffic sure but in light traffic? Nah, not so much. I could, it's legal, and I see others doing it, but I'm fine to sit there and wait my turn.
  11. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not legal here (although there have been bills in legislature the past 6 years that would have made it so) but I do not like sitting at the end of the line at a red light with the previous light's traffic coming at me at 45 mph either. Also in a couple of months it will be 95+ degrees everyday for a few months, and I would much rather be at the front of the line so I can make a break for moving air instead of it being blocked by all the other vehicles.

That and me doing it responsibly may change perceptions about the practice locally :dunno
  12. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well 5 cars in front of you mean 2 light cycles, because half of them are fiddle fucking with their phones, and it's 100F out, light traffic yes but that doesn't mean you will be moving soon.

Easier to filter to the front plus that speeds everyone up because nobody wants to let you get in front of them, because you are cutting in line and thats not fair!
  13. _Davi_

_Davi_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Filtering done right is a win-win situation. Win for us obviously because we can move faster through traffic. But if we are paying attention, we don't slow down any cars on the takeoff whatsoever, meaning there is no difference to them if we are there or not once that light goes green. Meanwhile, we haven't taken up a car-sized space in the lane, holding up just that much more traffic getting up to speed through the intersection, ie a car can get through now as well because we didn't take up that full space that is entitled to us. It might not be a big deal in places where there aren't so many bikes, but we sure aren't hurting anyone as long as we do it right.
  14. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
    I thought we agreed already that splitting lanes should not be legal in all states unless carrying a gun on a motorcycle will be allowed as well.
  15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Care to quote one other person who said that?
  16. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This rider has been posting his lane splitting vids down in the Dallas area. Here's one of them. From his vids, he does everywhere there's traffic. Even at intersections. And he blogs. Some of his splitting doesn't appear to be too safe. I'm basing this on the general rule that if the traffic is 35 to 45 or more you shouldn't do it. He also goes after those that try to block him or say something. He has one where he chases after someone that said something to him. And he has one where he's stopped by the police for splitting. In this video, there's major construction traffic and it shows what he basically does. Some of it is on the other side of the traffic cones.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/luP20xHMhD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. aalexander

aalexander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of his "lane splitting" seems to be riding on the shoulder, which it was my understanding was off-limits. I didn't watch the whole thing, but the sequence I saw in the first couple of minutes where he bypasses the traffic merging left on the overpass, then travels down the shoulder and the gore at the next merge, it looked like about 90% of that I could have done in a car. I'd venture to say that most drivers would consider someone doing that in a car would be jackass.
  18. aalexander

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I watched the rest of the video. the guy was hauling ass down a lane closed off for construction. There's just no way that isn't a dick move. I'm gonna suggest that this guy isn't really improving anyone's view of motorcyclists.
  19. _Davi_

_Davi_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just gotta restate that people in the US seem so uptight about this... On any given minute when the A1 (or any road or hightway or superslab) here in Italy gets backed up, there is a stream of bikes (including me) splitting down the middle AND on both shoulders (up to 60-80 KPH on the shoulder). It doesn't hold anyone else up, so why is it a dick move? Yes, it is a risk to us, but around these parts is expected and almost always waved through by drivers as they make a little room in the middle.

I DID see an incredible move the other day, however, at a long traffic backup at a red light in town... a little Fiat 500 car just filtered his ass up to the front of the 20+ car line in the oncoming lane! Come to think of it, no one so much as honked. His other car must have been a bike! :D
  20. aalexander

Oddometer:
    The action that I referred to specifically as a "dick move" was riding in a area closed off for construction. And that is a dick move. It's not yourself you're endangering, it's others. In a former career I was one of those guys behind the cones. I was in a profession in which the most prevalent cause of injury and death was getting hit by cars. It's closed for a reason.