Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:
    It's nice to see that 77% of us believe in freedom of choice. My hat's off to you all, fellow Adventurers! Education>absolute control. I rarely lane split myself because I consider it to be less safe - definitely not always, but more often than not. But we should all be free to make our own choices.
  2. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched some of the vid and couldn't help myself...I commented on a damn youtube video. I ride in the same areas and don't want to be associated with this fuckwit.
  3. _Davi_

_Davi_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, missed the thing about the cones.... Yeah, dick move.
  4. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    he will be shot sooner or later.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Italy doesn't count, you guys are crazy over there...and yes, I have family there, I've been driving there on and off for 20 years.

Literally Non si preoccupi
  6. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:

no, this is riding off-road, so everything is fine.
  7. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    SB 694 passed Senate, 18-10. On to the house.

ASSuming it passes the house and lands on the gov's desk, things become interesting. Governor Kitzhaber has stated for the record he would veto any such bill- he was an ER doctor in a previous life, and is pretty much as anti-motorcycle as he can get away with.

He also resigned a couple months ago amid allegations (and an ongoing investigation) into wrongdoing between him and his girlfriend, favoritism, her using his office to push her own agenda, etc.

His replacement (Kate Brown, succeeded from her position as Sec State) is, far as I know, an unknown on the topic.
  8. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for Oregon! I hope you get it. Not much luck here in TX bill stalled in committee and going nowhere with time running out fast.
  9. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I just voted and see I'm in the minority. Not surprised, I like quiet bikes and Coors Light too. It's scares the shit out of me when I see someone split or go without a helmet. I'm sure I would feel different if I was thirty years younger. :huh

The beauty of getting older is that I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere anymore. Plus I stay away from traffic in the first place.
  10. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had some old gank say something similar to me the other day. I'm surprised...in advancing age I would think you would want to spend less time staring at tail lights and more time on anything else in your life.

In a world where splitting is expected the cars around you take on a very different attitude. Be it California or a foreign country...people generally aren't outraged when you go past them. Its part of the culture and is anticipated.

Splitting is only scary to those who don't do it in sufficiently trained surrounding. Bumper to bumper? Where are those cars going to go? They're not an more likely to slam into you than that tree next to the trail you ride every weekend...in fact the cars may be safer...trees attack from above..where you're not looking. Cars can only get you sideways.

Personally, I'd rather be sideswiped or nudged than crushed when the texter behind you or behind the person behind you feels the need to update their sexual status.

When the ratio of foot to ground time approaches that of actual saddle time...you have to ask yourself....are you riding or walking?
  11. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I'm fine with it on the highway the way the CHP recommends; at slower speeds when traffic backs up. I'm also OK with filtering, as long as the bikes get up and go. I had a Harley squeeze past my truck at a light, then proceed to do 10 under the 4 miles to the next light where he repeated it. And a nice curvy rode with nowhere to pass that made me wish I was riding that day.
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Man, that's me to a T. The older I get, the more I'm thinking, "Get the fuck out of my way. I got shit to do!"
  13. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    There's a ton more space between cars in pair of 'standard lanes' than you'd think if you've never shared lanes. :nod

If I can get a Goldwing thru there, you can certainly get something smaller thru. :nod

M
  14. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with side cart?
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    In some places you probably could, but overall? Nope

M
  16. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    +1. Here in Michigan, the lanes are usually quite wide and there's almost always plenty of room in between. I hate sitting in traffic, staring at that unused space. It's like a whole other "secret" road that you can't use unless you want to risk a ticket or a ragin' cager.
  17. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I forget where I am and just split anyway. Then, I sort of feel guilty, but not. :1drink
  18. Iamsmiling

Iamsmiling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a good day I will have a 4' lane between the #1 and #2 lanes on the 10 freeway on my way home at night through downtown L.A.. As long as you're staying within 10 mph of the traffic flow you have plenty of time to react. Too many of those "motorcycle down" traffic reports are bikes that were rear-ended.

I've found a headlight modulator works wonders when lane splitting - just remember to turn it off when you merge back into traffic.
  19. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:

I switch on the photon torpedoes and hit it. The Darth Vader 1150GSA with Hi and Low beams and the aux LEDs running is enough of a sight to make you move over.

Run about 10 mph over traffic and tucking into line at about 55+ (why are you splitting when traffic is that fast...theres no point except for hooliganism) and you're fine.

Most people who are scared of splitting don't do it consistantly or in an environment where its expected. I ride the 57 from Pomona to Fullerton every day...20 miles of constantly lane sharing fun. Cut my commute fom 1.5 hours to .5 or less.
  20. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people don't realize this but the minimum width of an interstate lane is 12 feet. A Camry is 6' wide, a semi-truck is 8.5' wide.

So you typically have 4 feet or more between cars.