Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    12' has been the standard for ANY lane for at least the last 50 years. Interstates usually have to comply with the standard, though there are sections here in California that were built earlier than those standards and have narrower lanes.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I like quiet bikes. I don't like to see bare heads or brain-buckets EITHER...but that's their watch.

I live in an area full of ex-Californians...who drive like Californians; the stoplights set up like Californians would. Five-minute cycles are the rule. SERIOUSLY...I have to shut the bike off at stops, else I'll overheat after two major intersections.

When the light turns green, the response is dazed and lazy...these people have no SNAP. Now the main drag is a modern highway with plenty of space in each lane...if bikes could lane-split...it would enable us to USE our small traffic footprint and get THROUGH the packs of the Dazed And Confused.

More accidents? I can't see it. Maybe a few more, from idiots. It's up to the rider to make the call, if a move is safe...
  3. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure where this guy is from but thought I post this opinion from a 26 year-old whose been riding for 8 years now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hd76QZIOb-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    lets file suit & take it to the supreme court
  5. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    We would lose, we are the last unprotected minority.

We have to start building our victim idenity:

"What are you? Some kind of cageist?
  6. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was legal in SC I'm not sure I'd do it...we have extremely dangerous and stupid drivers. #1 in the nation for traffic deaths per mile traveled.
    Hell- I have a 4 way stop and a traffic circle within a mile either side of my home and it is amazing the number of people that can't figure those out...
    I'm sure some dumbass would squash someone lane splitting, just to be an ass.
  7. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    I had my first taste of filtering the other day. Well sorta filtering... Four lanes coming up to two (one each direction) and construction. Half a mile of cars in the right lane, and I can turn left and take a slightly longer route home. The two northbound lanes I am on neck down to one, before the left opens back up to a turn lane. A few cars are straddling the white line in hopes of blocking any would-be passers. As I get close to the barrels some bad ass in a truck pulls out to block me, and honks as I go by. Just a little weave through the barrels and around the sign and I am in the turn lane, making the light. I wonder how many wished they had a bike so they could do that.
  8. MrChuffy

MrChuffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I filter on my bicycle when going straight at intersections w/ a right turn lane. I ride the line between lanes to the head of the queue. Ive never encountered any issues doing this and its far safer than standing in line or staying to the shoulder. (Safer than getting rear ended or run over b/c youre slower than all other traffic.) I usually try to make eye contact w/ the drivers to either side to communicate my intent to go straight. I view bicycle riders at greater risk than motos b/c the speed gradient between them and motorized traffic is much greater.
  9. BorisRoberts

BorisRoberts Banned

Oddometer:
    To be perfectly frank, he is a p***y. Does he ride in those tennis shoes? He obviously doesn't lane split, and it is also obvious he thinks everybody tries to thread the needle, dive between gaps. A CHP officer told me many years ago, not to split unless the cars are side by side, the will change lanes into a gap, and hit a bike, but they generally won't changes lanes into each other. And he was absolutely correct.

I can't believe 60something of the people that responded, are against it. I was reading an article in a newspaper about it, and the comment section was unbelievable. A large number of people, including many riders that don't split lanes, think it is perfectly acceptable to knock people off their bikes when they are lane sharing, apparently, they feel they deserve it. Unfuckingbelievable.

I pulled into a local Harley Davidson dealer here one day. A guy pulls in on his Sons of Anarchy replica, and asksed me if I "always rode that way?" Uh, what way? Splitiing lanes and hailing ass. Actually, YES. What is your point? "You're going to crash." Yeah, maybe. "You piss of car drivers." Yeah. And he made some remark about how I wouldn't ride like that around him. He has his half helmet and glove with the fingers cut off. Dressed like a pirate. I said, "Your bike has no mufflers. I bet it pisses people off more than me splitting lanes." And he said, "Loud pipes save lives." No, learning to ride well saves lives. I'd bet my 400,000 miles, vs. his 400 miles, or maybe 4000 miles, makes it so that I have many less close calls, than he does. Someti es, people are just soooo stupid, falling into this "badass biker lifestyle thing."
  10. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not too many 26 year-olds I would take advice from on anything more complex than which beer to drink, or do I want a latte or a mocha?
  11. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i voted no a while back based on the "lane splitting" i see happen around here. after seeing how it works in california, i would change my vote to "yes, but only on the highway" if i could (and really would change it to "yes, but only where it does not negatively impact others" if that were an option).

i don't see a lot of lane splitting around here. there is one place, though, where i see it (actually filtering, not lane splitting like on jammed up freeways) fairly regularly.

there is a bridge that has three lanes. at the end of the bridge, the right lane becomes right turn only, the left lane becomes left turn only, and only the middle lane goes straight. it goes into a two lane (one lane each way) street that has cars parked on both sides and you cannot filter on that street because there isn't room. that street has another light about a quarter mile ahead and traffic gets so backed up that people end up not being able to go through the green light when it first changes at the end of the bridge (eventually, the light a quarter mile up changes and the line of cars starts moving and people start being able to go through the light at the end of the bridge).

some riders filter across the bridge and then cut back in line to go straight at the end of the bridge. but, they can't keep filtering, so they end up just being another vehicle in the line, taking up a spot in the line just like a car. they have effectively skipped line and caused all the cars (and me and other motos who don't skip line) to be one spot further back in line. for each person who does this, there will be one vehicle that does not get through the light the next time around that would have.

that is just plain selfish line skipping and has the same effects skipping line has in any other situation. it is not fair, and it does piss people off (rightly so...though it is, of course, not justification for injuring or endangering anyone).

if anyone honestly cannot understand why some people might be against "lane splitting", this scenario is one reason why. probably everyone who sits on that bridge is against it because this is what they think of when people talk about "lane splitting". in this case, "lane splitting" really does equal "line skipping" and that is the only "lane splitting" you see around here. (that and bicyclists doing it at red lights, running the red light, and then holding up traffic once the light turns green and traffic catches back up to them and there isn't room to pass them...which is another thing that sets people against "lane splitting".)
  12. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Instead of just seeing the bike passing you, think about all the space behind you that they aren't occupying, and how much space that has created for cars and trucks. Then remember as you enter the bridge yourself, you're only there and not a few lights back because of the bikes that split the bridge before you even got there.

Then you could broaden your perspective and apply the same mentality city-wide. "Missing out" on a spot here and there is more than made up for by all the spots that would be created within the road system as a whole.
  13. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    that is not true. all the bikes that got to the bridge before me still occupy a spot ahead of me. (they are just X spots ahead of me instead of X minus however many cars they passed ahead of me. the total number of vehicles ahead of me is the same, just the order is changed. it really is a line, and there really is not creating any more space...there is just changing the order of the items in the line.)

if they could keep lane splitting after getting to the end of the bridge, going through the light at the end of the bridge, you would be correct, but they can't. they must take up a spot in the line because there is no room to keep lane splitting after going through the intersection.

that's why i said i would change my vote to "should be legal where it does not negatively impact others". but, more than anything, i think a lot of people on this forum genuinely do not understand why anyone would not support lane splitting. this is one example of why people would not support it, and it is a perception that those who wish to get it legalized will have to overcome.
  14. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My point was in the context of the question, "should it be legal." If it WERE legal where you are, then it would be creating space all over town -- not just on this one bridge, where it's quickly lost and doesn't do anything except anger other motorists.

This is all I was touching on. Decrying lane splitting in general because of a situation where it's being done illegally on one street doesn't make a very convincing argument.

I genuinely don't understand because, if it were legal before that bridge, after it, and all around it -- everywhere -- then it would not "negatively impact others" in any way I can comprehend.
  15. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    it is not physically possible to lane split after the bridge. the street is too narrow with parked cars on either side and only one lane in each direction. so, being legal or not after it is irrelevant.

just think of a line of people in a room waiting to go through a door into a narrow hallway. only one person at a time can physically fit through the doorway and down the narrow hallway. a person could skip line while in the room all the way to the entrance of the door way, but not through it or after it down the hall. if they do, they are not creating any more space or helping the general well-being at all. all they are doing is helping themselves at the expense of everyone they pass in the line. that is bound to piss off all the other people waiting in line...and rightly so.

that is the "lane splitting" you see around here. that is probably what most people around here think of when they here "lane splitting". until i understood what goes on in cali, that is what i thought of when i heard the term "lane splitting". (that and the bicyclists who filter and run red lights and then hold everyone up...which, of course, is also not going to endear many people to the idea of legalizing lane splitting.)

still, though, now that i understand what people mean by cali-style lane splitting, i do think it should be made legal on limited access highways and other multi-lane roads where it can be done without causing the skipping line effect. but, you can't just ignore the issue i am pointing out if you expect to win the general public over to the idea of lane splitting being legal.

(and, again, that is not a justification for blocking a filtering bike or doing anything else that puts anyone in danger.)
  16. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand what you're talking about. My point is that the situations like that are limited and splitting legally on the bridge and causing some cars to wait a bit longer there would more than be made up for by splitting and filtering everywhere else (where it is possible), if it were legal. Expand your imagination beyond the bridge the section of road immediately following it.

If bikes filtering all over town shaved 20 minutes off your commute, losing two of them back to the bikes after the bridge is still a net gain for you and everyone else.
  17. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    People who don't split or filter don't have any idea how much open road there is.

Bernd Spiegel makes a huge point of how much road there is to use, and when to use it - all the time.
  18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I have a few new tricks. First, if someone leaves a 20-ft space at the front of the line, I split up to the front and take it. Second, If the lead vehicle at a light is a big truck (dump truck 18-wheeler, etc.) I'll split to the front and get in front of it. IT's my little contribution to the lane-splitting battle. It's a start here in FL.
  19. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I've been doing the exact same two things here lately! So far no road rage :dunno
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I've had a few people get road rage after I have filtered. One threatened to shoot me because what I was doing was "unfair". I have a solution for dealing with these people. I filter over and over until they go away. Usually just takes one more red light. :deal