Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    I lane split here in Illinois, especially if there is traffic at a light. I don't really lane split at speeds though since don't really feel the need a lot of times, I would if there was slower traffic. They need to legalize it already..

I have had a few people honk at me, when I do lane split i go quite slow since its usually at a light.

The other day I lane split to the front of a light passed an 18 wheeler and another car infront of it. That individual in a car was upset so he lane split infront of me into the intersection, then decided to just run the red light... second time ive seen that.
  2. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    No-one is forcing anyone to split lanes. If you don’t like the idea, don't. I, for one, will continue to do so.
  3. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lee Parks writes about splitting in this month's MOA mag. He makes a good point - you have to live with lane splitting for a few months and even try it once or twice before you are competent to make a judgement on the practice.

I also take advantage of the people who are leaving too much space. Screw them and their cell phones.
  4. SlumberDog

SlumberDog n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess "lane splitting" is our "filtering" down stationary traffic.
    I do it even when traffics moving, hate the numb nuts who hog a lane and never move over when they can.

Its legal in the UK as well.:D
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Not exactly, we stay between cars till aroud 60kph US lanes are nearly 4m wide so we have a good deal of space as long as you keep the closing speeds low and look out for pickup mirrors, 1/2 ton trucks are a dime a dosen and thier mirrors are perfectly placed to get your levers.

Of course California is the only place you really can in North America you'll get pulled over for it everywhere else.
  6. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES split
  7. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES

I often thank the AMA in my mind when I ride in the HOV lanes and think about how long it took them to get law passed for bikers to have that priveledge.

I wonder what it would take for such a thing to happen for filtering/lane splitting?
  8. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in NC and commute on a major 8 lane highway. 4 lanes each way. Anyway there were 4 cars all spaced just right in each of the four lanes where no one could go around any of them and the car in the furthest left lane was putting along beside the car in the next lane almost matching the same speed I would say around 65mph. The speed limit is 60mph but everyone runs 70-75mph. I was getting a line of traffic jammed up behind me along with the other lanes beside me. Noticing that some drivers were getting impatient I made the quick judgement to split lanes between the two cars in front of me. I had a feeling of guilt but also an overwhelming sense of complete joy as I broke free so to speak sense that was the first time I had ever followed through with lane splitting. I was almost two miles ahead and noticed the pack of cars still stacked up in a pack behind me which I bet made for some irritated drivers.
  9. Frosty8

Frosty8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am curious about what you consider "to much space".
  10. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    A car length+. Anything a car could pop into.
  11. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Trolling or simply inexperienced?
  12. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from visiting Paris, France.

HOLY SMOKES!!! They split every conceivable space, use the wrong side of the road constantly, ride anywhere where their scooter or MC would fit. Tagging cars lightly was common, and running red lights was not unusual either. Some were even texting while doing it.

That was chaos, and not like splitting in the US. While having lunch we watched a scooter mow down a pedestrian. The rider stopped and others helped the woman who was not seriously hurt, but was knocked down pretty good.

But the traffic density is far higher, and the ratio of 2 wheelers to cars was high.

I'm all for lane splitting as we see it in California, but certainly not the lunacy we saw in Paris. I don't care so much if the rider get nailed for riding recklessly, but they were actually a hazard to both pedestrians and cars, not just themselves.

Even weirder? Many of them were hanging their feet over sides of the scooters. Like riding a horse bareback. What's up with that?
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    In the UK, they split down the center line next to oncoming traffic. Their lanes are generally quite narrow, too, so there is barely room for two cars to pass to begin with.
  14. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'( Supporter

Oddometer:

I split lanes on a couple of the most dangerous roads in California. I've never seen or heard of anyone get squashed just because someone's an ass, or anyone getting smashed at all. I'm sure I would have gotten hit from behind if I couldn't split lanes. You should see how fast these freeways can come to a sudden halt, a sea of red lights.

Don't knock it 'til you try it, I'm looking to move to New York in the next six months. I will hate life with no lane splitting :lol3 I'm so used to it
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    If you are moving to the city you won't miss it long, pretty much everyone up there says fuck it and bypasses traffic.
  16. EarsOnWheels

EarsOnWheels Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've enjoyed reading this thread. The curiosity of folks outside the US reminded me of this classy video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k-Fp7flAWMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/k-Fp7flAWMA

What stood out to me was how consistently people in *certain* vehicles (large trucks) used those vehicles as a weapon to dominate the space around them, even going out of their way to do so. It's not that everyone in a car in the US is grumpy all the time, but there is definitely an identifiable subculture associated with large trucks.

And yes, we don't like people cutting in an established line, and yes, different areas have different cultures. On I-295 inside the Maryland side of the DC beltway, it is common to see cars driving up the shoulder. Just because. And they take an exit lane, but then stay on the main road, continuing on the new shoulder, merging into the next entrance lane, taking it till the last possible moment, and merging back into traffic (and of course not using a zipper merge...). But on the Virginia side of the beltway just a few miles away, you'll never see this. And in fact, if you stay on I-295 and head outside the beltway towards Baltimore (still in Maryland), you won't see it either. I have a feeling there is a sizeable pocket of very entitled drivers there (and I like to imagine they all know each other. I know they corrupt other folks who see them too. Saw an accident a few weeks ago (just as I was telling some friends in a carpool about the shoulder riding!) where a driver saw a car pass them in the shoulder, thought "I'm gonna do that too!", and then pulled right into *another* car who was illegally zooming down the shoulder.

FYI - I vote "yes". I have lane split, especially where traffic has stopped, re-entering a lane when traffic moves again. Can be a huge time-saver. This thread has also impressed upon me the dangers of being rear-ended.
  17. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a really nice video this women did on her commute from work during rush hour in San Francisco. She's got a motovlog she's doing after the ride. She's new to riding but I give her props for her learning and from what I can see, being very safe on her lane splitting. Its good to see that most of the cages move and/or are aware of motorcyclists and make the space for them (although some don't). Like other people have posted here. To get it passed in other states, it will take a lot of effort. Videos like this help, however, media shows the ones of the guys going 50 between cars and subsequent wrecks (which we've all seen). A friend of mine just took a trip to LA and he was posting videos on FB of his ride, lane splitting through highway 101. All the subsequent posts where ones of "be careful" "your dangerous" (even though he was doing it within guidelines), and one even posted that somebody is going to open a door on him and he's going to die. Geez. Funny thing is a women just moved here from Oakland and we talked about lane splitting. She thought that it was allowed nationwide. And that's the second person I've talked to from California that thought it was legal in the other states as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I saw that a couple times when I was over there last year for business in March & then again for May. I was in a rental car (Fiat 500L Diesel) and each time it happened I saw the motorcyclist coming up before they got to me on a 2 lane highway. I always gave them lots of room and was quite amazed at how well everyone behaved. In each case, the rider was being very respectable and would give a thumbs up to each car he passed. It seemed like everyone was very comfortable with it. I would say his speed over traffic was never more than 10-15mph. He wasn't flying or anything, just moving faster than the 4 wheel traffic was. Traffic coming towards him would move over and give him ample room too.
  19. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I lane shared for many years in California then moved to Nevada where it's illegal. I'll do it rarely here but I always come up on a collision with cops or highway patrol.

Yesterday I rode in stop and go traffic (caused by road construction) for miles and miles without splitting. It's so bad I just drove my truck today and I'll continue to drive until the road construction is over and I have to deal with only a few miles of stop and go.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Saw this on Jalopnik this morning

21. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the biker edited the video so you couldn't see what he did before that caused it. Old guy said he did something illegal and he split by him. Still no reason for him to act like he did. Biker has a lot of restraint. Is it me or does it seem like it's mostly middle aged men that get into these road rage incidents?