Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dootech

Dootech Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine Lane Splitting in or near the Chicago Metro area. Don't forget that you have roughly 100 years of driving habits, good, bad and indifferent to suddenly (?) change. I envision it like sending motorcyclists to the meat grinder. CARS can't even help but run into each other constantly, let along bikes in between them. Are there many States that have successfully introduced this, when it never existed before? And do these states have large Urban areas? I would foreee a total "Enclosed vehicle" driver re-education requirement, which is wishful dreaming as opposed to practical. The danger and carnage would easily outweigh any benefit.

Put me down for a "no" vote, I can patiently ride at the same speed, and under the same restrictions as everyone else.
  3. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    I can see it in Chicago, Everyone drives like its a big game anyway.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, make it legal and do not have any kind of informational campaign for the driving public. Watch the antics and Darwinism take place.

As Prophet said, years of bad habits and a "me first" attitude will make lane splitting a very dangerous game in many metro areas!

The only people who want lane splitting to be legal are riders. Everyone else will not, and the road rage will increase because someone is getting ahead of them! Right or wrong, this is the way I see it going down IF any state even bothers. Hell, CA still won't even make splitting officially legal!
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:

Agreed. Drivers around here get massively bent out of shape if they sense that someone is gaining ground in traffic by any means that they do not possess. If a motorcycle started to zoom ahead through traffic ... it would be bad. As JVB said, it's not just the motorcyclists that need to agree and cooperate, it's ALL road users, and no one around here is going to allow ANYONE to gain an edge, guaranteed. Driving manners, methods, habits, customs and so on have festered here for 100 years, it'll take a long time to change that, and who wants to risk it?

Let's also not forget that motorcyclists are a tiny minority of overall road users, and likely pay the least in road use taxes. Therefore we are not considered a worthwhile voting gain/edge, so odds are slim that any changes will be made. Who wants to be the politician that openly sponsors and supports such things, and by doing so pee's off the majority of the voting public? Not many.

Point? : Be realistic.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    The funny thing about the road rage types is that they go away at the next light.:deal
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The post by Tripped1 at the top of the page seems to disagree with your assertion!
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Seems to prove my point. That motorcyclist could have easily ridden off rather than confront the driver. FL is a stand your ground state and a situation such as the one in the vid could end in a far worse outcome for a maniacal driver than a trip to the hospital but it sure is easier to simply leave.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    What do you know that I don't? Maybe there was a red light? Maybe the nut job would have chased him down and run him over. YOU miss the point. Road ragers need no more excuses to try and kill us!
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I didn't miss your point, I simply don't agree that we need to be terrified of these nut bags. Perhaps you and I are referring to different videos but the one that I see has a fat bald asshole hop out of his car and a several second window where the driver of the motorcycle could have ridden away. I can also tell from the video that the motorcyclist is on a sportbike. If you can't get away from a Honda Accord on a sportbike thn maybe motorcycling ain't yer forte. :lol3

Luckily neither of the two men in vid could fight very well so everything turned out about ss well as it could have given the decisions that both men made.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    We saw the same video, but I actually watched it. You must have been dreaming when it was on.

Never mind, arguing with you is like arguing with a few others. No point, can't win, and I do not have the energy or patience to try!
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

It's okay Jimmy, we simply see things differently. You see an unavoidable confrontation and I see a chance to leave. Not sure why that's got you all riled up my man.
  13. Klr65009

Klr65009 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm all for it but there is alot of crazy road rage types out there that can cause lots of problems.I can see some jerk off in the middle of a traffic jam getting pissed off and shooting some biker just because he is more mobile.It would come in handy sometimes.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Historically, confrontation is inevitable if I continue "discussing " this with you, and a few others. We definitely do not see things the same way. No rose colored glasses for me!
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I think I'm going to save this quote. I believe it is the first time in my life anyone has accused me of seeing anything through rose-colored glasses or even remotely being optimistic!:lol3
  16. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just passing people around here will piss people off, and yes lane splitting pisses them off even more, but I don't let it stop me from doing either.

I pass a lot of people as I make my way thru medium to heavy traffic "WITHOUT" splitting lanes. . A bike is naturally better at this than a car, a small sporty compact is better than a large sedan, and all are better than an F350 Crewcab longbed pickup, but Bubba just can't seem to understand this and it pisses him off, to see everybody getting ahead of him.
  17. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    So no "Stand your ground" concept in your head?

Why should he have to leave when being confronted? Blame the victim much?
  18. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree he could have simply made a right turn as the car to his left with the ROW and the truck behind him both made right turns, leaving the right lane clear.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I think that you misinterpreted my post. I have no problem with people standing their ground. There was a concern about having to deal with road ragers. I'm saying that there are ways to deal with them that do not involve a physical altercation (in most situations) if you wish to avoid it. Me? I'm very bad at being afraid of people but if I can simply leave and minimize the risk to my passenger I will usually take that option if it presents itself,usually.
  20. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought he handled it perfectly well. Better to deal with him right away rather than letting him get into a 3000lb weapon and try to run him over.

And the motorcyclist was a pretty good fighter, he took 2 blows to the face and still executed a take down and submission without throwing a punch.
    You could not tell from the video, but the MC rider got inside his guard and probably tripped him with a hooked foot or knee, then used his weight on the guy's sternum to subdue him. (And his pillion looked like she could have kicked his ass by herself too)

Granted, the driver could have gotten out and shot them both, but not much you can do about that.