Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought he handled it perfectly well. Better to deal with him right away rather than letting him get into a 3000lb weapon and try to run him over.

And the motorcyclist was a pretty good fighter, he took 2 blows to the face and still executed a take down and submission without throwing a punch.
    You could not tell from the video, but the MC rider got inside his guard and probably tripped him with a hooked foot or knee, then used his weight on the guy's sternum to subdue him. (And his pillion looked like she could have kicked his ass by herself too)

Granted, the driver could have gotten out and shot them both, but not much you can do about that.
  2. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I am going to derail this thread but we will get back on track soon.

The stand your ground law that was brought up here, makes a good point. We have one in Texas as well, I am sure Arizona does too.

Do you all think the rider in the above video would have been justified in pulling a gun and possibly using it if the road rager in the Honda Accord didn't back off? I think so he as was being attacked, but seeing how the old man fights I could have easily kicked his ass too,:lol3 but still as I said earlier I would have simply rode away.
  3. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stand your ground is not only for guns, it is any situation where you are being verbally or physically assaulted.
    Some states have a Duty to Retreat, which in this case means the MC rider could have been found at fault for NOT driving away.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I lane-split through Orlando yesterday. No one helped, but no one hindered me either.
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:

I don't think the motorcycle rider's life was ever in danger, to the point of needing to use or brandish a firearm.

This is where gun ownership often fails. Thinking that a gun is needed in every situation or altercation. The kid did just fine, no one was ever in any real danger, and the car driver needed a good punch in the chops, and got what he probably wanted.

Done.
  6. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad the rider stood his ground. That guy needed jail, or the next time he'll be throwing punches at your wife or daughter at a stoplight.
  7. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note: a friend of the family (in his 60's, partially disabled) was seriously injured when a young man assaulted him in traffic. First he tried to evade, but since he was in a pickup, he got trapped in traffic. The perp went to jail, my friend, to the hospital.
  8. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I really wish I could know what motivates aggressors in incidents like this. It's utterly alien to me.

On our AK trip a couple years ago, I had a similar, but lower amplitude, incident in Eastern Washington State, just south of the Canadian border. There was a line of people waiting at a one-way section for road work. There was a temporary road bed. My wife and I (being from California) filtered up to the front of the line so we wouldn't have to eat dust for 10 miles. A late-middle-aged white guy in a gy-fucking-normous white pickup starts honking and shouting obscenities at us. I explained that a) we're faster, b) we NEED to go faster on gravel for stability, c) we didn't want to eat dust, and d) seriously, how does this injure you? It only made him angrier and more profane. (he did stop calling us fucking cocksuckers when I asked him not to use than language in front of my wife or his -- not that I'm opposed to foul language, but it seemed to really throw a monkey wrench into his doG-fearing, massively-self-righteous self-image).

I finally told him in my most sarcastic voice "OK, Mr. Anger Management, since your time is so much more valuable than everyone else's, why don't you go ahead of us?" I was honestly hoping he'd get out and assault me because I'd unzipped my tank bag where my bear spray was located, but that actually shut him up. I don't think he grasped how selfish he looked. Maybe we didn't either.
  9. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    this is what is going on in his head (keep in mind that i am not at all condoning that kind of behavior...just explaining the thought process of those who object to filtering):

"who does this guy on the motorcycle think he is skipping line like that? he must think his time is more valuable than everyone else's so he thinks he's entitled to skip to the front of the line. what a selfish asshole!"
  10. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience it is always middle aged white men driving pickups that have tried to block me. We dont have many blacks around here but a lot of Mexicans, but they never tried to block me. Yes pickups outnumber cars here, but still no car has ever tried to block me, no women have ever tried to block me. Not all pickup drivers are assholes, but all assholes drive pickups. Some people say pricks drive BMW's but I don't see it. Oh and no I am not a disgruntled minority, I am a middle aged white male myself.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Maybe no in Texas, but on either coast, TRUST US, BMW drivers definitely tend toward douchecanoe.
  12. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW drivers are quickly being eclipsed by Audi drivers in most of the world.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Indeed.