Should the 950 get it's own Page?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by motozilla, Apr 22, 2004.

1. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the GSpot? Instead of having to share Big, Mean and Nasty with the likes of Capo Nords, V-Stroms and ahem "other" bikes. :evil

Opinions?
  2. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

'Prolly
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea- would concentrate all of the topics on the bike into one useful place; and have the added benefit of not take up valuable space for those of us with interesting bikes :lol3
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see a KTM page. But I suppose this would be too confusing with the Thumper page and all. Heck what else is "Big, Mean, Nasty," all the other bikes in "Big, Mean, Nasty," need to shift ...... :nod
  5. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do we get to keep Big, Mean, and Nasty? If not someone has to come up with a clever name ... like "The Rise of the Austrian Machine", ect, ect blah,blah,blah
  6. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touche' Good Sir. :nod
  7. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
    Not only does it deserve its own page, I believe the next step on
    our part is the founding of the "KTM Adventure Motorcycle Owners Assoc"
    similar to the BMW MOA in principle and mission statement, although much
    more geared towards the development and promotion of true Adventure
    and Dual Sport motorcycling.
    Also believe it should not be limited to the Americas, starting with the fact
    that these are Austrian bikes, but also to enable it to become a true world
    organization and resource, this would promote rider enrollment from all
    over the globe, and eventually become an extraordinary resource for anyone
    looking to explore the remote corners of the planet, or simply taking
    a weekend trip to Yellowstone having the support and network of thousands
    of riders and participating shops and dealerships....

KTM will not take this initiative due to the obvious conflicts of
    interest and the compromise of credibility from it's consumers,
    so it's up to us the "Real KTM riders" to pull it off...

Are you with us on this Scott Harden ??
    What da ya say ??????
  8. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    We had this discussion about 6 or 8 months ago and opinion was generally favorable but we couldn't decide if it should be a forum for just the 950, for all KTM bikes or for all big non-GS bikes. As I remember it, Baldy wanted to see if the activity relating to the KTM 950 was a flash in the pan or if it would persist and have enough volume that it could support its own separate playpen. It seems to me that it has not only lasted but grown over time as the number of 950 owners has increased steadily.

I like the idea. But I would make it specific to the 950 Adventure and not make it a "KTM" forum, since I think that the problems and issues that are of interest to the 950 crowd are quite different than the LC4 and RFS groups. The 640 Adventure group shares a lot of commonality with the 950 Adventure group, but the mechanical issues are completely different and that is what most of the discussion on this forum is about. They seem to be pretty well served in the Thumper section.

And since there is a lack of focus on the KTMTalk site for the LC8, this would further consolidate AdvRider as THE place in the English speaking world to come to talk about the 950 Adventure.

It might also make it better for the NON KTM folks on the "Big, Mean, Nasty" forum to have a place to get together without being innundated by KTM stuff.

We were trying to find a good name for it when we did this last time and someone (I can't remember who) suggested the name "Orange Crush". People seemed to like that. I kind of like the name "The Evil Twin".

Baldy - are you listening? Any chance of our own playpen?
  9. Mikey Monger

Mikey Monger When pigs fly...

Oddometer:
    F'ckin' A right!
  10. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about "The Evil Austrian Twin" or TEAT for short and that is pronounced like teet not tit.
  11. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    "Orange Crush"... I like it!

I want to confirm my interest in ADVrider's "Big, mean and nasty" forum as the best place to discuss 950s related matters.

The best place in the world, not only for English speaking people...

I remember last year when we "Euro Beta Testers" of the Big Orange Machine were your source of information.

But I know for sure that US is the place for off road bikes accessories developement, and now we Euro 950ers are in need of your knowledge (i.e. the steering damper thing...).

Let's create a 950 forum: I don't have any preclusion for all the others dual sport big twins owners to partecipate in such a forum, but I am sure that all Capos, ATs, Tigers are bored enough of all the 950 talk that they will feel more confortable without us dirty, noisy and orange guys... :D
  12. Motobrandt

Motobrandt Free Opinions Here

Oddometer:
    I think we definitely should. And I think it should be 950 specific.

$.02
  13. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    950-Big, Mean, Nasty... (Time to send out an eviction notice!) :thumb
  14. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    I posted a thread in the "Ask Baldy, Blame Fish" forum asking Baldy to consider this again and linking him to this thread. Hopefully we will hear from him sometime soon. If I remember correctly after having read through all 31 pages of the thread going on in Jo Momma between Fish/Razorback with a cast of thousands of supporting actors, Baldy may be out of touch until next Monday. So we may not hear anything till then.

Cheers. :freaky
  15. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    Big. Mean. Nasty. is now just a KTM forum. I have no problems with KTMs in general, but I wouldn't mind hearing from other bike owners.
  16. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I just conducted a quick and very non-scientific study....in scanning the 25 threads of the first page of the Big, Mean & Nasty forum, it appears that 20 are devoted in one way or another to the 950, and the remaining five to all other bikes combined. I'm sure that if one were to look back several months or years, the balance would change substantially, especially given the fact that the 950 has only been with us for going-on two years now, but it does appear that the big orange bike has virtually usurped this forum, and I would further think that everyone, regardless of brand owned, might be happier if things were separated out.

MTKTM
    Kalispell, MT

'04 KTM 950
    '02 H-D FXDWG
  17. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I think it would make things easier on you 950 guys... :rofl

Maybe just for the 950 only, but making it all KTM Adventure models makes sense too. :nod I think the Thumper section would all but dry up! :lol3

I'd free up a lot of the big nasty and F'n cool threads for the rest of us. :lol3

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TransAlp (and looking for another TA)
    Van., WA USA
  18. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a 950-specific category. I think there's enough "critical mass"! :rofl
  19. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I'll add my vote in too. I think a 950s only category is the way to go. :thumb
  20. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's a fine idea. The reason is that it allows 950 owners to express their delight and dismay, without having to necessarily suffer the intrusion of people for whom the purchase of a 950 is a difficult concept to grasp.

It would allow Big, Mean, Nasty to talk about general ADV-tourer topics, which might include 950 stuff, but not to the exclusion of other bikes.