Should we have regional forums?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by boyscout, Feb 19, 2002.

1. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    There are those who would have argued that when Jo Momma was first proposed as well - now look at it.

YOU thought it was a good idea, and it turns out that it was.

I think it is less a matter of fragmentation and more a matter of organization.

I never said anything about stupid, ya dope. :1drink

I propose that we try it, and if doesn't help, or confuses too many people, we pull it down.

Fair enough? Baldy? :ear
  2. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    cRAsH,

(to keep it simple) you would have under a Regional Forum

Oz
    Europe
    US West
    US Central
    US East

Is that what you are thinking? :ear
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    That's a little more defined than I was thinking, but would probably work. I was just thinking one major forum, with the threads themselves defining the regional interest.

Essentially, a place to put the stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Say I know about a radar trap setup for this weekend on Hwy 9.
    Where would I post it so that all the Bay Area riders would see it easily?
    Sure, I could put it in upcoming events, but it doesn't really belong there.
  4. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well..

I like the Oz guys having there own place..That way they can talk only to each other.There really not very funny and don't really add anything to the forums..:rofl

We could even put a firewall up so that we could keep and eye on them, but they couldn't get any of the good information from us..Also; could you redirect anything that Gordy post to the Oz site also? Thanks...:rofl

Rick
  5. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    So, under the General Forums, you would put one Regional Forums area? :ear
  6. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah - just one big bucket called Regional Interest.
  7. Bi-Guy

Bi-Guy Re-Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like freakingRTrider's idea.
  8. Dom

Dom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fish, I don't see a need to split out forums such as GSpot and Jo Momma. I hope we can keep this real simple. I was thinking it would be nice to have a regional "Upcoming Events and other local interest stuff" forum. That's what I thought Crash was proposing. Splitting out each forum into regions sounds too complicated (for my feeble mind). :):
  9. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    that's simple enough. :nod

it just adds one area to manage.

IMHO, it's Baldy's call.
  10. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    bitch,bitch,bitchbitch,bitch,bitch sheees we win 2 gold medals and the world wants to knock us down:smile6 talk about tall poppy sindrum:):
    the Ozzies are only 4 at the moment and I can say I like hearing what you guys have to say.
    to have seperate groups I think would loose the harmony of this bbs.
    Maybe there should be 1 new place where you can post about local stuff......... hangon we have that ride reports Etc.
    I think all you would have to do is make a post in there and use the mail group feature to invite interested parties.
    Hey Dutcman you can join up with the ozzies since there are not many Poms around :smile6
    just my take on the issue
  11. wildy

wildy The Highwayman

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting reading about the experiences of other bikers from across the world. Reading good ride reports about touring be it Nevada or Norway inspires me to plan bigger tours, and that I thought was the whole idea of this site. Yes, there is a fair amount of leg pulling, but that adds to the fun. But one thing I have noticed about Australians are that they don`t have a sense of humour.
    I made enquires into the possibility of emigrating there? When asked by a member of the embassey if I had any criminal convictions, I simply answered " I didn`t think you still needed them to come here ", and I was refused any further discussion.
    Anyway, it can`t be that great if it was nearly destroyed by a little rabbit can it. :):
  12. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl

OK wildy we will let you in along with dutchman:jump

Ps: how are all your mad cows going:smile6
  13. scurrell

scurrell GS Body-Surfer

Oddometer:
    They let my sister in. That's the main reason I'll never go to Oz. Big though it is, I don't wanna take the risk that I might bump into her...
  14. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:

Look, you guys are missing the point. Another forum that is geared specifically towards local interest only WON'T take away the international flavor of the site. Like I said, just a big bucket to put things that would not fall into the other forums.
    Nobody would be restricted, it's not a segregation thing - just another file folder for those things that don't fit into the general forum. :huh
  15. Kenny Jay

Kenny Jay Toughen up, Matey!

Oddometer:
    Say, here's a novel idea......

Perhaps we could have one forum for motorcycle related issues, and another one for the rest of the CRAP.

Kenny Jay
    '95 R1100GS
  16. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote that Kenny should have his own forum..That way he can post things just for himself and not have to read or look at the other CRAP!

Do i have a second?
  17. Kenny Jay

Kenny Jay Toughen up, Matey!

Oddometer:
    I rest my case.
  18. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
  19. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, what's this in my pocket. COOL it's 2cents. I'll buy in.

Not sure how everyone else scans this board but I start on the Forums view and select "show the new stuff" I then read the titles and read what I choose.

I do not care which Forum it is in. If I'm interected I read it. The Forums do provide a way to locate a post 3 months from now, but day to day reading they do not. At least to me they don't.

I would think just providing a subject which relates to your post would work. If I see a post about a speed trap in N Calif then I don't have to read it if I choose.

How would you break up West, Central, and East USA? What if something went across the line? What if it realy had nothing to do with a specific area, you just had a good day on your ride?

I think providing thoughts and ideas to the moderators is great. I am also sure they welcome our views. Well sometimes. But I also think we should trust in them to take our input and, using their best judgement, maintain the board as they have.

Let us not forget the many hours spent in just developing this board. I once looked at the site for the software bugs and fixs for this thing to operate. I would have thrown in the towel on day one.

My vote for reginal forums is NO

Thanks
    Fish, cRAsH, Baldy, Razorback, Marc, and every other moderator. Oh ya and our local Chaplin Toad.

Rob Z.
  20. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    is she a red head??? pep is looking for one in Oz:rofl