Should we have regional forums?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by boyscout, Feb 19, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that's it's us who's missing the point? You just can't take "no" for an answer, can ya?
  2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know a good CRAP store. There was a good one in Dallas, but they went to SHIT.

Hey. I thought it was funny:rofl
  3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, what fish and some of the others are saying about it being a pain to do, and wanting to keep it simple, could be true. I don't have a clue to how hard this site is to maintain.

Although, having a regional or local form would be nice. It would be easy to make hook ups with folks that live near you.

I surf this site almost daily by clicking on what's new. I suppose as many do, I read what is of interest to me and ignore the rest.

We could start the subject with local or regional. That way when checking what's new it would ear mark that post as being of possible interest. It would only take a second to see if it pertained to your area.

I really would like to put some faces to some names and aviators here. (hook up)..........:1drink
  4. scurrell

scurrell GS Body-Surfer

Oddometer:
    I believe she is at the moment, but believe me, you don't wanna go there....
  5. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Well, it's not. Adding another forum caption takes - oh - 30 seconds or so. Depends on how fast Baldy types.
    Maintain? Well, I moderate GSpot and that takes all of a few minutes to scan the posts to make sure they are in the right place and somewhat close to topic.
    The folks who are saying it would be a pain are just being a pain.
    They are also speaking with no knowledge.
    Baldy and Ben could tell you how hard it would be for sure, but this is really a very sophisticated BBS, adding forums is a snap.

Exactly. What I (originally by boyscout) am proposing is just a place to post those types of local interest only items. Just today, I see that there is a thread by ricardo about bicycles that contains a post by freaky inviting his local buds to a ride on Sunday.
    Now, where should that post really go?

Exactly - but the question is - where do those posts go? Where would you put them so that they don't get lost in the shuffle?

See, where everybody's argument against it falls apart is the fact that different forums are needed in the first place. If it was just a matter of scanning what's new (nevermind that first timers wouldn't have that option - it's ALL new), then why DO we need a Jo Momma, or a GSpot, or any forum captions at all? Why not just put them all on one big list and let everyone fend for themselves?
    Those guys that say it would be too complicated, AND those guys who say it would be unnecessary are then arguing that all the threads could just as easily be lumped into one forum, let the user just go to What's New and who CARES what category it belongs in.
    Does that really make sense?
    Not to me. I have yet to hear a valid reason why not, and there is at least one GOOD one for having it - organization.

I defy all you naysayers to give me one real, valid reason why we shouldn't have another forum caption called Regional Interest.

Go ahead, I'm listening... :ear
  6. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    very good point :):

hell, I'll volunteer to moderate it. just send instructions

I promise to throw fish's weird stuff into jo mamma :lol2
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Hey wait a second. I propose an idea, go away for a day and you propose to moderate it? :huh :):

As Crash so eloquently argued the forums add information so when you are looking at the new stuff you can tell whether you are interested or not. For example if the post's subject is "My muffler keeps falling off" and it is in the Tiger forum, I'll probably skip over it, but if it is in the GSSpot, I'll probably read it.

I originally thought of this when I kept reading about the "Deal's Gap Ride" The only way I could tell whether I cared or not was by looking at the personal info of those who did care, to see the general location of the ride.

This forum would also be good for posts such as, "They just dumped a bunch of sand all over the top of Tunitas." Who here knows where Tunitas Creek Rd is? I originally figured that we would have a Regional section and add forums such as US West /East etc. as people volunteered to be moderators and/or there were enough people to warrant the addition of the forum. If we wanted to start out with a single forum for local stuff and have people put local tags in the subject, that would be cool too.

All that being said, one of the things I like most about this site is its simplicity and maybe there aren't enough members to warrant this change yet.

If the powers that be decide to do it though, I'd volunteer to moderate it, if not one forum for all regions, my local region.

-BS
  8. freaking RT

Oddometer:

hey, Hey, HEY, don't get your skirt tied in a bun :lol2

just reading the thread you never piped back up, so I grabbed the horns. :):

knock yourself out, BS. no big deal :dood It's Baldy's call anyway.
  9. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    or maybe who things their state's shit don't stink :rofl
  10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:

Or how about a couple forms that read, North of and South of the Mason Dixon Line. :1drink:gun2 :gun1 :shoot
  11. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    NP, I should have made it more clear that this was just a veiled attempt at raising myself to moderator status.:evil

-BS
  12. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    :rofl

ok, now we know :D
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't be a pussy, Jimmy Dean's Pure Pork Sausage (TM) Boy. We need a whole FORUM called The Middle East. It fits in with the regional forum thing. Perfect place for some of the Paris-Dakar Rally info :huh
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Works for me. Hey Baldy, can you give Boyscout his Outdoorsman badge?
  15. scurrell

scurrell GS Body-Surfer

Oddometer:
    ...except for the fact that the PD doesn't go anywhere near the Middle East....
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    It did in 2000.
  17. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right. I think we should have about 4 or 5 regions.
    Earth
    Moon
    Venus
    Mars
    All the rest of the universe (until their membership improves)
    :evil

Greg
  18. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Well, you're all partially right (except you, Kenny). Here's my idea. Instead of breaking up into separate areas for group rides, trips, etc. - how about starting your subject with the following:
    • OZ-kangaroo meat...yum!
    • EU-we're not all Euro-Trash
    • USwest-left cost liberals speak up
    • UScentral-what's up with this flyover country???
    • USeast-we love the Kennedy's here
    You get the idea. If you start a thread with a regional flavor, just use one of the prefixes in your subject line so people in Bumfuck, AR can find their region (UScentral). It's strictly voluntary and, if at some future time, we grow to the point where splitting things up makes sense - it'll be real easy for the overworked moderators to put things in their place.

Strictly voluntary. No rules except for Kenny - who must post according to the following two categories: 1). stuff he gives a shit about, 2). everything else he hates. Sound good?

Marc
  19. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl yep then we could DNS suffixes like UK,NZ AU, JP and .com
    hey, theres this really cool thing going around from berlky UNI
    .....umm Ip addresing Baldy could run a couple of extended subnets hang em of advrider then we could look emm via IP :smile6
  20. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    ... forget I ever said anything - it's obvious to me that there are those who would spend more of their time trying to figure out ways to fuck it up than ways to use it in a constructive and informative way.
    Selah.