Should we have regional forums?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by boyscout, Feb 19, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's the portable love-ewe. Real one's are the best, of course, but difficult to pack in a saddlebag.
  2. Dutchman

Dutchman Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer:
    I'll defer to your obviously greater experience in this matter........personally I prefer them to follow on & make their own way to the venue......baa.....baa...baaa :1drink
  3. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Man, you guys must have all voted for Bill Clinton. All he was ever good at was getting his dick sucked by nubile young inter.........

Woops wrong thread. What were we discussing again?

The problem with this is it adds a second and separate classification system from the current forum based system. It is also voluntary rather than system enforced so the chances of it being used consistently are slim.

At this point I think that the BBS is great just like it is. As the membership continues to grow, I think we will definitely need to break things up by region or the clutter will make it hard to find useful information. The advantage to making changes early rather than late is that there is less inertia when the change is finally made.

Of course those who create and maintain this site have control over what is done with it. I simply thought it was a good idea worth discussing. Kind of like dropping a note in the suggestion box.

-BS
  4. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    Shit I go to bed wake up and LOOK :rofl :rofl
    so whats the bottom line here now ? :smile6
    anyone need a full time shit stirer:evil
  5. Dutchman

Oddometer:
    ...............thanks Rod, but there's quite enough shit stirrers here already, don't you think.................:smile6

Just let me know if you want to talk about 'bikes sometime.........:1drink
  6. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    yep I suppose we I should exspell my Knowledge of motorcycles some day:rofl or rather lack of:smile6
  7. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm warming up to the idea too.
  8. Dutchman

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea......can we have a Scottish Forum...epecially for those that are really Fucked in the Head.....?:evil

Semi-seriously, perhaps a Euro type forum might be OK, and of course the obvious choice of moderator would be........DUTCHMAN :1drink
  9. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Idea! I am very intersested in being able to share route information. Always looking for a new road! Would be great to have access to regional trip logs and maybe even GPS or mapping file attachments that could be shared. The waypoint files are small; picking a format is harder.

If anyone is interested, I woud be willing to do some homework on formats and trip report packaging. Big on Maps.

Be gone for a week! Check you later.
  10. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    The problem 'we' struck in OZ is that the route may be written in a North to South fashion, but riders X, Y and Z want to go South to North.... Need some good soft ware to change the directions and distances around.....

Being in front 'we' already have an area based group -
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oz_adventure_riders

But it looks like some of Yahoo is down At the moment.

---
    Then there are the people who want to stay in bed with their sheep. :arg

---
  11. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken - this forum look like Jo Momma to you?
  12. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    oops... I retract my last post!
  13. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    Shit Dutchie then we would need a forum for th Irish ....and we would all have to type real sslooow:smile6
  14. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Good man. Nice artwork, tho...
  15. Dutchman

Oddometer:
    Hey,Rod, that's not fair on the Irish........we've just had a great week there....we saw Guinness being made.......oh yes.......VERY SLOWLY....the roads are shite so we had to ride SLOWLY.........and some people thought we were foreigners,so we had to talk......SLOWLY!(and with sign language!) :smile6

Let's re-think the Irish forum, shall we?:1drink
  16. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Where would the Regional Interest forum go? Under General Forums?

I had in mind creating a category, similar to General Forums, Beastly Adventure Bikes, and Talkin' Smack (the groupings in <font color="yellow"><b>yellow</b></font>), placed in position #4, below talkin' smack. (Or above smack, not important to me.)

Then we'd have five forums with five moderators, one for each of the major regions.

The two probs are (1) you're right, it makes the page longer, and (2) the 5 regions we've suggested leave out Canada, Asia, (and probably less importantly for now Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East.) What would we do if someone said, "Hey! You're giving Canada an inferiority complex again!?" Stick 'em in other beastly regions?
  17. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about using time-zones for the US. For those crossing zones use the start location. Without some double postings there is no way to cover everything without 500+ different forums.

As far as regional for the rest of the world I would think riders in those areas would know what would work the best for their area.

Once you pic a region you use the title as a quick reference. Using the title to narrow it down should work OK. There will be variances ( ie. San Fran, Bay Area, SF area. N. CA etc) but it will get you close.

If i wanted to post one for my area I would lst it in US central and title it N Texas Twisties or Texas Dallas Area MUD. (not that we get rain)
  18. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    That's my vote.
    One forum, called Regional Interest.

Let the thread heading identify the area of interest.

Keep it simple.
  19. Dutchman

Oddometer:
    Hey, cRAsH......you're nowhere near as daft as you look...........that seems the best idea to me.......keep it simple, stupid:evil

'Regional Interest' covers it all, given that as Razor says, there are loads of different 'regions' that this global site covers....BTW, do they HAVE 'bikes in Bum Fuck Egypt?:1drink
  20. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    So...how's it working?

:evil