Shoulder Pain!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Mjwood, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Mjwood

Mjwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went on a weekend ride and put in a lot of miles on the saddle. Gear and bike were great. The only thing that kept bothering me was my shoulders kept getting tense, tight and sore. Anyone experience this? I’m wondering if it’s the way I am positioning myself on the bike, or if handlebar risers will fix this. I ride a Triumph Tiger 800 XCA, so it’s a fairly upright riding position.
  2. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this on my GSX-R 600, any traffic and my shoulders were in agony very quickly, only bike I've ever had this problem with. All down to positioning. Try risers (easy change) or rotate bars in clamps, may need to change bars as well.
  3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    You might want to try some tank pads (I like TechSpec). Then squeeze the tank harder with your knees.
  4. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you use a throttle lock? Not sure how much of that saddle time would have allowed the use of one but in my experience being able to take your hands off the bars even for a few seconds here and there, move a bit, stretch, and break up the monotony of the same position all day can help alot with pains in different areas.
  5. East End

East End Bilge Rat

Oddometer:
    I made a minor adjustment of the bar position in the clamp and solved my tight shoulders. These sort of issues, as widely stated, are very subjective. Fiddle with ergonomics until you discover something that works.
  6. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my last long trip the first two days were tough on my shoulders. I had purchased a $5.00 cramp buster, but it sat in my tank bag for over a year.
    When I finally pulled it out to try it for the long highway rides I thought to my self - dam, what a Idiot. With my throttle hand relaxed and pressure put on my palm the shoulder pain dissapeared nearly instantly and nothing the next day.
  7. Grestil

Grestil 2+2=unicorn

Oddometer:
    My 1st gen vstrom required me to reach for the bars just a bit which was painful for me as well. Replacing them solved that issue for me. This is all fairly subjective stuff but I've found any bike that requires me to rotate my shoulders forward to grab the controls leads to pain. It could also be caused by the weight of your helmet if your new to riding. That extra couple of pounds can make all your neck and shoulder muscles sore until you become accustomed to it. Good luck!
    Mjwood and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. Mjwood

Mjwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike has cruise control, so I can use that on the open highway. We road the CA North Coast, so lots of twisty roads that required gripping! CC definitely helped with stretching the wrists.
  9. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even the twisties have short stretches where you can set it and take that hand off the grip and stretch the wrist and shoulder/back, whatever for just a few seconds. It seems to help me to do that when I'm getting uncomfortable.
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than reach to the bars/ergonomics which others have covered.

Make sure your jacket isn't tight around the shoulders or upper arms. I know, sounds obvious but it needs to be not tight at all to avoid problems on longer rides. If it feels snug that's not a problem on short rides but it can cause really bad pain after a few hours.
  11. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just stop with the wondering and move around on your bike more often. Stand up or shift your weight or even just stretch yourself. Roll your head about, flex your shoulders

AND relax. take notice of the bike and what your feeling then look to why?. Ride more often and further. Set a destination

Or you can go down the " buy it fix it path" and solve not one thing.

3 cents worth is all I have sorry.

It worked for me.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    This
    I would end up with shoulder pain when I rode distance on my Cagiva Gran Canyon. I was talking to a guy at Laguna Moto GP randomly and he suggested bar adjustment and that solved the issue. Move them a little forward and see what happens or back a bit. It doesn't take much to fix the problem.
    Mjwood likes this.
  13. Mjwood

Mjwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas. I’ll play with the adjustments a bit to see if that fixes things.
  14. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    I'd opt at looking at strengthing your shoulder and/or stretching more (even IF you aren't planning on going out that day). I'm not talking about getting jacked but, doing enough exercise to prevent your shoulder from feeling stressed when you are riding. It's slowly working for me - maybe for you too?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. NotSoYoung

NotSoYoung n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Had a bad crash dirt biking, broken collar bone and ribs. Collar bone didn’t set right so my shoulder was getting pain on the road bike. I ride a F700GS and posted about the pain ( here I think but not sure). Anyway, someone recommended bar risers. I bought 1.5 inches. I can ride 4 hours without pain now. I could not believe the risers could make such a difference. I’m 5’ 10” in case that matters.
    Just my two cents. It worked for me.
  16. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
  17. amr2ul

amr2ul Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer:
    Broke left collarbone in an off-road crash about 10 years ago. Went over the bars and nailed the same shoulder (left), apparently breaking the a-c joint. A few months ago the same shoulder started hurting even without riding, so I got a doctor to check & he says MINOR rotator cuff tear. Guess it's time to go under the knife again, dammit!
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I see all sorts of people I know having shoulder surgery, frequently more than once. I've had shoulder pain-- I have no idea whether it's like others' pain-- and every time in less than six months of being careful with my shoulder use, the pain has gone away and my shoulders work fine. YMMV. The main thing I've done is to keep my shoulders down and relaxed whenever possible. I don't sit with my arms on the armrests of of my easy chair and I keep them at my side when sleeping. YMMV. Who knows what people did before surgery became so easy to get for a quick fix? Did farmers stop tossing hay into the mow? Did cavemen stop tossing spears, stay back and help clean the veggies?
    lunchmeat and c1skout like this.
  19. lunchmeat

lunchmeat MLI

Oddometer:
    ^^^This. I’ve had both shoulders operated on to varying degrees of injury and success. I “carry” my right shoulder, meaning I hold it up and in place with my neck and upper back muscles. When I relax those muscles and let my shoulders hang it feels much better but it takes constant reminding to do that. Don't use arm rests in chairs, the console in the truck, relax the shoulders. What a PITA. The option is to go under the knife again. Each surgery means less mobility and strength. Bionics, where you at?
    Snowbird likes this.
  20. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find if I'm on tour and putting a lot of time in the saddle day after day, my left shoulder hurts...from pushing through the wind! Have thought about putting some type of "armor"over it so I won't feel the wind as much.