Shovelheads, Where have they gone?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Nessman, May 15, 2013.

1. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    make it slick... hope he dont ruin it
  2. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One just landed right under my fat ass!!!! Picked her up earlier today and it only died once on me on my way home. That's not a joke either.

IMG_20200516_140408.jpg

I kept going back and forth between a small tank Superglide as Sidecar Jockeys bike is absolutely AMAZING or an FLH. The chances of finding a non molested FXE is pretty slim and this is just my style-slow and in the right lane.
    Riggpig-your buddies Superglide is the tank I picture in my head when I think of what a small tank SG should be done up as.
    Please don't judge me on my father's wacky ass van...
    Shooter1, pnhd65, velofish and 6 others like this.
  3. DiabloDainese

DiabloDainese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice find. And with a pogo seat!
  4. riggpigg

riggpigg Known,but not famous Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2311882 .
    Please don't judge me on my father's wacky ass van...[/QUOTE]

A Dodge tradesman????? Thats a classic......I drive a Ram pickup and I just bought a Pro-master Van for our chase vehicle.......No way would I trash a guy in a Dodge....Hell, Walter Chrysler was born in Kansas!!! It don't get any better....

FYI, you can put a small tank on the FL, might be a good look???? Never seen it done.....thinkin it might look good????
  5. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't leave it stock but I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be returned to stock. That is a nice ride, love to have one. By the way, that's a good looking van also, Kinda fits with the bike. Period correct you could say.
  6. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of maybe taking off the fairing as I like how they look with just hard bags and no fairing. Maybe do a dual exhaust as I like symmetrical bikes. My leanings tend to be towards stock
  7. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    Heres one we did for a buddy, not stock 77 colors but its an eyecatcher!! He kinda liked the no fairing look also....

IMG_4018.jpeg
    safetywire, Philthy64, pnhd65 and 9 others like this.
  8. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    Oh that's nice Riggpigg!
    C.Hensley likes this.
  9. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    So the old girl apparently doesn't want to run for me too long. Got 75 miles on her and then this morning it decided to start back firing/running on 1 cylinder then died on me. I saw what looked like some debris in the filter so swapped in a new one and. Thought that was it but 10 miles later it started to run poorly again. Shut it down to get 2.5 gallons in her as it seems to run better with more gas in it, fired right up but started to run crappy in 1/4 mile. Going to drain the tanks and see if there's any crud in them
  10. SportsterTom

SportsterTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to run a inline fuel filter look for a Fram G3515 or it's clones from other manufacturers. I've used them for years and they don't restrict the flow rate, H-D flat track tuner Bill Werner uses them on all his race bikes.

[​IMG]
  11. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Battery?
    Sounds something electrical is breaking down.
    Beautiful bike.
  12. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    Starting to think it's the Crane ignition taking a dump
    Helibee, riggpigg and trumpet like this.
  13. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Crane is notorious for failing. Try Dyna
    GotDammitDave and pinocono like this.
  14. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    I have the Dyna on my FXE. I've never given it a second thought.
    trumpet likes this.
  15. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    Yeah, from my LIMITED Harley knowledge/researching on line, not too many people have anything positive to say about the Crane system. I was looking at the Twin Tec VT-i for it. I asked if Tri Spark made a system for Harley's as that's what I had on my one Norton. Guy at the parts shop said "Tri what?" HAHAHAHA
  16. redlabelmoto

redlabelmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    So the old girl was testing my last nerve. Tossed in a new Daytona Twin Tec VT-i electronic ignition and a new dual fire coil. Rode it and it died again the exact same way. Sucked but replacing that Crane H4 set up before it failed wasn't a bad thing. Long story short, there was a wire, that goes to the ignition, that was being pinched up by the bars. It was shorting out, tripping the breaker, and killing the bike. Then it would re set and would behave itself. Re-did that and the old beast is behaving herself now.
    Took it on a cruise through Amish country last night. Didn't need to bum a ride home in a horse and buggy. Life is good.
    I think I'm going to start planning that trip to Alaska on it.
    Philthy64, spokester, Helibee and 4 others like this.
  18. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200715_194410.jpg

So last night the old bike crossed 1000 miles of trouble free riding on one of my favorite rides. I'll call it fixed.
  19. Garyshovel84

Garyshovel84 n00b

Oddometer:
    My 1984 FXSB Low Rider. Owned 5 years been a fantastic bike! Been through a few phases of style but I am very happy with the "Low Rider" factory style look best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. riggpigg

Oddometer:
    Just got this one done, needed quite a bit of cosmetic work.....still has some tiny issues but its original......sent the bags off to the guy that makes the inner supports for Heritage bags, he did a great job on them...stiffened the lids and sides...windscreen is a replacement.
    IMG_7961.jpeg IMG_7969.jpeg IMG_7964.jpeg