Shovelheads, Where have they gone?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Nessman, May 15, 2013.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new here but have been checking out this thread for a while. Beautiful bikes.
    I just picked up a '79 FLH and plan to ride it a bit this fall and give it a little TLC over the winter.
    This one has 30K miles.
    79 FLH.jpg
    pinocono, Philthy64, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  2. SportsterTom

SportsterTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philthy64, JRowland, riggpigg and 3 others like this.
  3. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Norton 357.

So I was having an odd noise from my FLH. Sounded like something in the engine, almost piston slap. It would start at about 35mph, and from 40mph-50mph it was really noticable.
    First thing I did was adjust the chain. Had a bit of extra play in it but nothing horrible. Got it in spec. Noise was still there.
    Then, I adjusted the pushrods. The front cylinder intake pushrod was way too tight. Straightened that out. Then, adjusted the primary chain as that too was out of spec.
    No difference. Turned out to be the chain rubbing on the fender.
    Took it for a quick trip around the block after "fixing" the fender to make sure that was the noise-all good.
    So on Sunday I took it for a rip to PA. The road that caused the dipstick to pop out was freshly paved and SOOOOO smooth. Weather was absolutely PERFECT, and the bike was running choice.
    Ever since I've owned it, I would find myself either having to put it in 3rd to make it up some long local climbs, or really get cooking in 4th to make it up without loosing too much speed at the top. With the pushrods adjusted, it just pulls so much better in 4th up those hills. No need to over rev it in 3rd or bog it down in 4th/downshift to 3rd for a bit, build speed, shift back to 4th.
    Also, there was a vibration that would start at about 57.5mph that is now gone.
    So, we crossed 3000 trouble free miles this season, I gave her a tune up, and she's running better than ever.
    Next long ride will put her at 50K

Currently looking for a bike I can put Jr on without him feeling like "I'm going to fall off and die father!!!!" Yes, he calls me father and his mom mother and we are the FURTHEST thing from prim and proper people. Trying to find another FLH with the tour pack or a Ural. He's REALLY hinting he wants to ride on a motorcycle...
    spokester and Norton 357 like this.
  4. SportsterTom

Oddometer:
    Shovelhead friends, I've decided to sell my '84 Super Glide. The ad is in the Flea Market area.

*EDIT* I'm keeping the bike and have closed the ad. Thanks for looking!

Tom
    JRowland and spokester like this.
  5. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    Tom-thank you SO much for posting that after I had my roof done!!! That is exactly what I want, an all original small tank Superglide. That bike is BEAUTIFUL! Hopefully someone buys it that appreciates it as is and doesn't want to modify/chopperize is
  6. SportsterTom

Oddometer:
    What Happened? Kickee, no startee?
  7. SportsterTom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm on the verge of canceling the ad and keeping it....I'll have another beer and think it over.
    Shooter1, JRowland, 996DL and 2 others like this.
  8. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    You will cancel that ad and repost it when I have a nice cushion in the motorcycle fund
  9. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put around 2,000 miles on Disco throughout this mountain run event. Not a single issue, it ran great! I didn’t do so great at taking pics of the other 2. 38 bikes total, 3 Shovels.

Disco

074DF15A-97ED-40A7-B882-50532E6DFA03.jpeg

AF552C27-9127-4BEB-B442-F712EDBA699E.jpeg

Herding cats

AD43EE2F-E640-4549-9DDF-3BF4B1DE4624.jpeg

Ricky, I didn’t ask the year.

D6AE9CE5-94DE-417A-B087-E4D2755386E3.jpeg

DA61791F-D821-4060-B516-C0AFE1FC5A45.jpeg

and John, after the stream crossing

1152A491-F7E2-4F7F-827F-B6E199D45282.jpeg

9FC7D7CF-C9A9-4A6F-B67E-BE6E836E72D5.jpeg

All 3 are in this picture

8C1ECAFD-EF1D-4324-A35A-1C9C2F53EAE1.jpeg
    pnhd65, spokester, riggpigg and 3 others like this.
  10. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like this, hiding in Wales and currently on Fleabay for a reasonable price.

[​IMG]
  11. Norton 357

Norton 357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful bike. Do you know where the mufflers came from? Originals or repros?
    I would like to get a set for my '79 but not sure which ones are any good.
    spokester likes this.
  12. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

i never could see eye to eye with that dude
  13. JRowland

Oddometer:
    One of the AMCA swap meets, they were like new originals.
  14. Norton 357

Norton 357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought they looked too nice to be copies.

I love that bike! Going to try to get mine as close to original as is practical but want to do a few upgrades to things like brakes and electrical system.
    spokester and JRowland like this.
  15. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I just beat stock brakes real good in some steep tight mountain riding. They did great, and I was grinding boards and mounts at times so I was giving that thing everything I had. They squeak, and that clatter they all do is annoying.
    Norton 357 likes this.
  16. Norton 357

Norton 357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My last FLH was a '71 so having discs is monumental compared to that. I was thinking steel braided lines and check the calipers, rotors and mcs to make sure everything is as it should be. It stops pretty well now but I really haven't had it in any really tough situations to see how they work when you HAVE to have good brakes.
  17. Cycle Goon

Oddometer:
    We know as you're still typing responses and not dead. I wouldn't want to be in a panic stop situation with my FLH. I never thought I would find a bike with less confidence inspiring brakes than my old British stuff. I did. And then some

There was some NICE iron at that group ride, holy hell!!! And you should sell me Disco
    JRowland and Norton 357 like this.
  18. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Once I had the drums properly recut, and bedded new shoes to it, it stopped pretty damn well. Not quite disc brake level, but impressive none the less. Playing in modern traffic with antique vehicles is pretty unforgiving. Take every edge you can.

Finding a oldtimer to resurface the drums...that's the trick.
    JRowland and Norton 357 like this.
  19. C.Hensley

C.Hensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put GMA brakes on my Shovel....stops better then my 2004 Road king. It is a little bit like a resto-mod. Upgraded brakes, electrical, lighting, oiling and evo style lifters etc...it was my only bike for about 8 years...been all over on it and it never let me down :ricky
    trumpet and Norton 357 like this.
  20. Norton 357

Norton 357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear more about your shovel and the upgrades. I plan to go through mine this winter and need some ideas about what to do and where to get parts. I sold my '71 around '04 maybe and haven't ridden on the street or worked on a HD until now.