Shovelling Around The Homestead.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DGarman, Sep 2, 2017.

1. DGarman

DGarman What could go wrong? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy All!
    Figured I might try to post up some really small trips..... to the little market for Banquets and Bugler..... to the big city of Victorville CA for Harley parts..... to Hesperia CA for In-N-Out burgers..... to Littlerock CA for chocolate-covered bacon...... to Barstow CA to shoot guns..... you know..... the usual stuff....

My CA place is in Pinon Hills...... population about 7,000ish..... lots of good people..... and a few characters.....

I also have a place in AZ..... 11 miles south of the Hackberry Store..... of Route 66 fame..... very few people around..... 40 acres of paradise in my mind.......

Anyway..... here goes!

Pinon Hills CA..... Son-In-Law Jason did a huge amount of tractor work here..... it used to be a Trials Bike course getting out of here..... not much fun on Hondo..... now it's all smooth and curvy!..... the photo doesn't show it..... but this is a really steep hill I'm standing on.....
    [​IMG]

Hondo has his own little Cathedral to sit under..... for work that doesn't require an overnight stay at the Harley Hospital.....
    [​IMG]

Some of the others hanging around the place..... Ruff, the '79 Bronco {you may remember his name}..... Ready, the '67 Oasis trailer {see what I did there?..... Ruff and Ready}..... and Ben The Gladiator waiting for his turn under the Shed O' Renovation.....
    [​IMG]

Now..... the doggies have been asking about Flying Dutchmans...... OK..... manana.....
  2. avtechinbtown

avtechinbtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really hard to show elevation changes in pics. Have tried a million times and have never been successful, can totally relate. LOVE the Bronco!
    spokester and DGarman like this.
  3. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks avtech! Ruff has been all over the West, and is ready for more!
    I guess folks just have to trust us when we say "It's steep!"
    avtechinbtown likes this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    " lots of good people...and a few characters"...................which category do you fit in Dennis?...:evil
    villageidiot, DGarman and Nixels like this.
  5. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'm in for the @DGarman storytellin' :nod

It's kinda cool to see your set up and how your Ruff & Ready herd are all living in a state of peace (low rust) and harmony.

I like the "Shed O' Renovation". :thumb
    Passim, spokester and DGarman like this.
  6. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Haha! You know Dave..... I had to think about it...... and I figure I'm definitely somebody else's "character"!

Thanks for coming along Nixels! The rule here is to be low key...... and be thankful for what we do have.....
    The S.O.R is amazing...... I'll roll Ben into it...... close the doors...... and start stuffing $$$ through the slot in the door...... when enough $$$ have been shoved through the slot to appease The Renovation Gods..... Ben will emerge as a "new" truck....... like a butterfly out of a cacoon......
  7. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    You have the perfect setup there Dennis, no grass to cut and no snow to shovel... which means more time for important things, like riding... :thumb
    DGarman likes this.
  8. DGarman

Oddometer:
    I agree Passim!..... just 2-1/2 acres of sage brush, Joshua trees, junipers, and pinon pines..... no yardwork at all!
    We do get "decorative" snow though..... we're at 4500'..... 1-4" is typical a few times a month during the winter..... usually gone by the afternoon.....
    Definitely more Shovelling than shoveling going on!
    Christmas Eve 2016.....
    [​IMG]
    The Virginian, EZMoney, soaz and 6 others like this.
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Those junipers are one of the main reasons I had to leave Arizona. My baby daughter and I had severe allergies to the pollen, and she was almost hospitalized from it! Nasty trees!
    DGarman likes this.
  10. DGarman

Oddometer:
    I looked it up and I guess they are one of the worst for allergies!..... Cedar Fever..... learned something new here today.....
    Nixels and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    dude did u change names?
    DGarman likes this.
  12. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did red bud........ now everything I do online is under one name......
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Nixels like this.
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:

simple I like it
    DGarman likes this.
  14. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Little trip to Bakersfield CA......

Years ago I use to be a Mechanical Engineer...... a Real Engineer........ pocket protector...... Hewlett-Packard HP-25 calculator..... drew parts on vellum with a pencil(!)....... as exciting as that life was...... I left it all to become a ne'er-do-well leathermaker.....

However..... I do some occasional engineering work for a friend of over 30 years in Bako..... I learned the basics of SolidWorks..... I help design new products and get the preliminary drawings on the computer.....

{I guess I felt compelled to give a good reason to go to Bakersfield that didn't involve Dwight Yoakam or the Crystal Palace!}.....

So anyways...... I didn't take many photos on the way there...... pressed for time.
    Hondo's starting system was acting wonky...... getting progressively worse since the Route 66 trip.
    Made it to the shop..... Hondo left his mark on the ground.....
    [​IMG]

Had a hard time getting Hondo started to leave..... but he did start..... stopped at a gas station for some Banquets...... could not get him started again..... even jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver didn't work...... a guy came up and asked if I wanted a push..... You Bet!...... Hondo fired up and I got to the motel 2 blocks away..... waving Thanks! to the guy as I rode away.....

Next morning....... no clicking..... no starting..... no nothing......
    Hondo is going to just have little vacation for a couple days...... I get rides back and forth to the shop from my buddy.....
    {Note: I could've taken Hondo to the shop to fix him...... but I wanted to do it myself in a motel parking lot.}
    [​IMG]

My engineering work here is done...... now to start farting around on Hondo...... I do this..... I do that..... nothing helps......
    Obligatory "tools on the ground" photo.....
    [​IMG]

Talk to Jason..... my HD mechanic and son-in-law..... tell him what I've done..... he thinks the alternator is gone....... tells me to check the battery......
    Carry the battery to the CarQuest Auto Parts next door....... "We don't check batteries here"..... "We do have battery chargers for sale that read voltage"...... grumble..... grumble..... buy a battery charger..... walk back to the motel...... set the battery in the sink...... hook the charger up to the microwave outlet.....
    Jason was right!!!....... battery is at 8.3 volts!..... the battery is a month old Odyssey...... must be that the alternator isn't alternatin'.....
    Set up the battery to charge.....
    [​IMG]

So here I am..... stranded in Bakersfield.....

Later that night....... battery has a full charge..... 12.8 volts...... ready for the morning ride home!
    Installed the battery in the morning....... let's go home!......

Did take a couple photos....... Not many people know this..... these big fans in Mojave CA are similar to fans all over the state..... with all the earthquake faults and such..... these fans actually pull CA up tight against the rest of the Lower 48..... keep it from floating off into the ocean..... just an FYI for you.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made it home!..... 150 miles..... Hondo ran great the whole way...... battery was at 11.3 volts when we got home..... I'm thinking I've been riding on the battery alone for a while!

One cool thing about old bikes..... and old trucks too...... even if there's a problem, they keep running until they absolutely die!
  15. Nixels

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm I'm glad I got a real engineer's explanation for why California's still here.

And I thought those big fans were making some kinda energy conversion! :baldy

I'm glad you can alternate between leather work, engineering and getting Hondo all charged up about carrying you to the Dwight Yoakum show soon! :clap :clap :clap
    Dirt Road Cowboy and DGarman like this.
  16. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Yeah..... the idea of turning moving air into electricity........ how crazy is that?!?
    The current plan is to get Hondo fixed soon..... parts have been ordered direct-ly.....
    We're all amped up to hit the ground running for the DY concert...... hopefully there's no resistance from other components.....
    CowboyFatBob and Nixels like this.
  17. Nixels

Oddometer:
    You're obviously plugged into how things work. I'm sure your progress will have no impedance. And you'll de-fuse possible overloads by packing properly.
  18. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nixels....... I hope the frequency of these repairs becomes less........ It's not that I have a reluctance or resistance to do repairs..... it just really hertz the wallet!..... Also, having to do a series of repairs in parallel with normal maintenance takes up a lot of Banquet time!
    But..... I'm not one to shunt my responsibility to keep Hondo in positive running condition!
  19. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    My goodness, if you remember well last month in your route 66 thread, I told you the story when my alternator blew-up too (the stator exactly) last year. The difference with you is I was riding at night when it occured. The battery was brand new (2 days of duty) and when I checked tension at the terminals, the voltmeter marked 10 V, so I guess I had been riding on it alone for a long time too.
    Your engine had just been replaced some time before your trip if I remember well, and the top of mine had just been rebuilt and entirely checked the month before, so you never know when these bastards of electrical components are gonna give up.
    Now with newish engines and new alternators, we should be in peace for a while.
    But as you said, that hurts the wallet !
    Nixels and DGarman like this.
  20. DGarman

Oddometer:
    I remember that Yannick!
    As far as electrical parts are concerned..... you never know when the "smoke" is going to escape!
    I'm hoping all these new parts will allow Hondo to outlast me!
    CowboyFatBob and B10Dave like this.