Shovelling Around The Homestead.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DGarman, Sep 2, 2017.

1. DGarman

DGarman What could go wrong? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now..... Wile E. is a Genius..... says so right here......
    [​IMG]
    larryboy, Passim, Oznay and 2 others like this.
  2. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm It sounds like maybe you should get Hondo heated up and head east in the middle of the night! Spirit our grand Coyote Genius away from all the trouble and lawyers. Someplace safe and civilized like Nevada or Wyoming. :nod

Nobody would dare to look for him there! :deal

Good luck on the trip planning. And no matter what, don't take one of his classes!!!!! :yikes
    DGarman likes this.
  3. DGarman

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea Nixels!...... NV and WY are on our list......

Wile E. did offer me a job..... at his classes in the near....... or maybe far future......
    I would be the Guy-That-Fills-The-Mylar-Balloons-With-Helium-And-Hands-You-An-Anvil-And-Pushes-You-Off-A-Cliff.....
    Might be hard to fit on a business card..... but would look good(?) on my Resume.....
    Probably look much better than "Chronic Underachiever" that's at the top of my Resume now.....
    Dirt Road Cowboy, B10Dave and Nixels like this.
  4. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Picking up Hondo in the morning!..... Dr. Jason has released him from the O.R......
    I am stoked!........ ready to ride again!

Wile. E. has also been busy in developing new Sales tactics for the vendor booth...... he came up with a novel Candy Distribution Apparatus.....
    It will give customers more of a personal touch..... rather than just letting them dig for candy in ammo cans.....
    Nothing says "I care about you" more than Wile E. personally handing you a PEZ.....
    [​IMG]

I can't get the video of the Apparatus to load...... but it's a beautiful thing to watch.....
  5. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Hondo is Home!.....
    [​IMG]

Rode him back from Dr. Jason's O.R. this morning..... felt great to be on a bike again!.....
    The Butt Dyno says Hondo's got more power all through the RPM range..... passing on the freeway will be much easier.....
    He also looks better with some tasteful applications of powdercoat.....
    Wile E. Approves.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How I'm feeling now......
    Helibee, larryboy, Passim and 10 others like this.
  6. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dwight Yoakam is still on tour....
    :hide
    DGarman likes this.
  7. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Haha! ..... no need to duck for cover..... I am stalking the event section of his webpage as we speak!
    The LSD Tour..... Lucinda Williams....... Steve Earle....... Dwight Yoakam..... all kinds of musical goodness right there on one stage.....
    larryboy, Nixels and B10Dave like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dennis; I caught that border jumping canine of yours up to no good here in Southern Ontario yesterday. Nearly got hisself killed. Bad coyote. Better tell him not to tangle with the yellow Road Runners.:D

CWHM18 112.jpg
    Passim, The Virginian, Nixels and 2 others like this.
  9. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Haha! I keep telling him to stay away from the yellow ones!
    B10Dave and Nixels like this.
  10. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Been putting some easy miles on Hondo..... he's up to about 105 now on the rebuild.....
    Had to go to the bank in Palmdale..... about 30 miles away on the Highway Of Death..... Hwy. 138.....
    Nice ride out and back..... no whiteknuckle events.....

This sign is the only way you know you're going through Pinon Hills from the West..... there's not much here.....
    [​IMG]

The sign is fairly recent........ I was surprised that the population has doubled in 19 years..... durn Urban Sprawl.....
    The elevation number is odd too....... the sign must be at the lowest point of the "town"........ my double-wide shack is at a measured 4510 feet..... Downtown Phelan is 7 miles away at about 4200 feet.....
    [​IMG]

I'll have to get some photos of the thriving metropolis of "downtown" Pinon Hills..... so you know what to expect..... or not to expect....... when you ride through here in the future.....
  11. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Dr. Jason's, my brother Gary's, and my birthday all fall pretty close together..... Sister-In-Law Wendy planned a lunch for the family to celebrate at Rock & Brews in Rancho Cucamonga CA..... right on Route 66.....
    Nice ride for Hondo..... only 35 miles from the homestead.....
    I'm still doing the 500-mile break-in routine...... Dr. Jason told me "No wheelies..... not for 500 miles!"..... mmmmkaaaayyy...... not a problem!

Found a semi-shady spot for Hondo.....
    [​IMG]

Cool place!..... great food........ TVs all over playing music videos and concert clips from the 60s to the 90s..... I think Gene Simmons from KISS owns it.....
    Forgot to take photos inside........ you'll have to check it out yourownbadselves......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heading to Bakersfield CA for a few days next week..... {You all said "Oh, I'm sorry"..... I heard you}...... that trip will finish up the 500-mile break-in period....... Dr. Jason will change the oil....... check things out....... and I can start wheelieing like there's no tomorrow!..... mmmmyeeeaaahhhhh......

One of the coolest videos played while we were there........
  12. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    Well at least he didn't nix smoky burn outs. :photog
    Nixels and DGarman like this.
  13. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Hold my beer.........
    Passim, Nixels and B10Dave like this.
  14. Nixels

Oddometer:
    Hondo looks great. It's clear that no shade tree mechanic worked on putting him back on the road. :deal

Bakersfield; it's like Bayonne, NJ. Bad reputation doesn't do it justice, but not many people try to defend it. :uhoh

:lol3

Give ol' Wile E. a stick of dynamite to throw out into the desert to celebrate. :kboom

:razor
    DGarman and B10Dave like this.
  15. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nixels! I'll pass that along to Dr. Jason!
    Haha!....... I take some digs at Bako........ But honestly I enjoy my little trips going there by way of Tehachapi..... and it is famous for Buck Owens..... Merle Haggard....... the Bakersfield sign........ and the Crystal Palace.......

BOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!
    Nixels and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  16. DGarman

Oddometer:
    So a trip to Bakersfield CA..... did some engineering stuff for a friend.....
    Then a trip to Tehachapi CA (actually Bear Valley Springs) for some professional growth..... took a Leather Carving class from one of the Masters.....
    Stayed at the Ranch Motel in downtown..... met my low bar of requirements...... 1: doors open to the outside..... 2: old..... 3: cheap.....
    Both the Rodeo and Carnival were in town this same weekend..... lots of Carnies at the Ranch Motel..... quite an experience!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first ever attempt at floral carving and figure carving..... with a little more practice I can add it to my Bag O' Tricks.....
    [​IMG]

So now Hondo is ready for his "new engine 500-mile oil change"....... at 700 miles...... sorry Dr. Jason.....
    Oil looks good draining out..... no big pieces of valvetrain in the drain pan..... Success!

Very happy with how Hondo is running with a fresh engine with a little more compression..... pulls better from the bottom..... has better acceleration on the hills around Tehachapi..... 41 to 43 MPG all around.....
    I know I'm just using the "butt dyno"..... but 99.9% of us will never put our bikes on a "real" dyno..... the "butt dyno" is our only performance evaluation tool..... If we're happy with a modification....... then it's All Good!

But wait!...... What's up here!..... the rear brake seems to be dragging.....
    The rear rotor has an excessive amount of concavity to it..... looks like it's always touching the top of the outside brake pad..... and the bottom of the inside pad..... if it didn't have any holes in it I could use it as a discada for cooking fajitas.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hmmmmm...... the rear brake has always been "touchy" as far as adjustment goes..... to keep it from dragging and to have a decent pedal.....
    Could losing the rear wheel bearings 6000+ miles ago in Amarillo TX have something to do with it?.....
    Anyway..... new parts are inbound...... rotor..... brake pads..... and wheel bearings since I'll replace them anytime the rear wheel is off..... after my Amarillo experience.....

"..... it just goes to show you, it’s always something — if it ain’t one thing, it’s another."..... Roseanne Roseannadanna
    TALLGUY, larryboy, Passim and 9 others like this.
  17. Nixels

Oddometer:
    Nice carving work, Dennis! :thumb
    TALLGUY, larryboy and DGarman like this.
  18. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nixels!
    Nixels likes this.
  19. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Been a while!......
    Ordered in all the parts we knew we needed..... had to order some other ones as Dr. Jason got into it......
    The stupid brake pad clips were evidently on Intergalactic Backorder..... NOBODY had them..... for about 4 weeks......
    I guess you can re-use the ones you have if necessary..... except Hondo's were in pieces!

But anyways..... Hondo is back home!
    His new back rotor is flatter than the Earth used to be 600 years ago..... and doesn't rub the caliper or the mount in an inappropriate way anymore!
    Also replaced the rear wheel bearings and axle..... after the FeeAssGo in Amarillo last year!.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dr. Jason even delivered Hondo back home in the Family Motorcycle Ambulance.....
    [​IMG]

Wile E. approves of this post.....
    [​IMG]

Looks like there's a trip to Bako next week...... be good to get back on the road!
    zookster, larryboy, Passim and 4 others like this.
  20. JLA49

JLA49 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer: