Show off your ATV/Quad!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by antwon412, Apr 15, 2018.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally I would go with a used sideXside. I have a Yamaha and a Kawasaki in both
    ATV and UTV. If I had to go distance two up the ATV seems too uncomfortable for
    both the passenger and driver. Get's cramped. The weather protection is much better
    on a sideXside too. A later model Kawasaki Teryx would be my suggestion. If it's only
    for the two of you the two seater model is less money and would have a large bed
    for camping supplies. Carry extra gas and water as well.

That's a long ride. Maybe add a sound system too.:evil

I had a Yamaha Rhino and it was okay. I prefer the twin cylinder engine smoothness.
    My son in law had a RZR. It had better suspension but I trust the imports more for
    reliability. My Arctic Cat Wildcat sucked a valve. I still have a 400 single Arctic Cat quad.
    It doesn't get used much so I will keep that.

If you are leaning to the ATV my experience with the Kawasaki Brute 750 has been
    very positive. I also have the carberated 650 Prairie but it's not independent suspension.
    Both have been very maintenance free.

My Rhino blew a head gasket. Found out it was an issue with the early 700cc models.
    Normally I like the Yamaha lineup but the Teryx just had the features and size I wanted
    and a kicker of less money. My other Yamaha is the sport YXZ. Shits and giggle factor is
    high. Probably over kill for a camping machine.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the info...

No question a SxS is the preferred method of travel. It's a long trek averaging 140kms for 8 hrs seat time. With lots of stops for pics and chatting.

The used sxs easily doubles the cost. Not sure if this will be a more than a 1 time hobby. Some very nice nice 3-4 yr old atvs around here for 5-6 k with under 1500 kms on them.

A 13-14 yr Teryx will be 14k.

Local searching has Polaris, CanAm, and Yamaha sharing most of the market. And I'm coming to realize that I'll probably want power steering.

I'll see what's around for those Brute models.

3. pluric

Oddometer:
    Damn, they are pretty proud of the used stuff over the border.

Here is local listings for a Teryx. You can get a new 2019 LE OTD for just over $14K
    You could always sell it when you're done.:dunno

May check into the rental end too. By the time you pay taxes and registration you might be money ahead.
    A lot of personal owners rent here.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/search/?keyword=teryx&category[]=Recreational+Vehicles&subCategory[]=UTVs+Used+(Utility+Vehicles)&zip=&miles=25&priceFrom=&priceTo=&city=&state=&sort=
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the exchange is the killer. 19k here for a new Teryx which is nearly exactly the same as your 14 US.

Edit... That said, I'm now seeing new LE's in Montreal for 15 Canadian. Which for you would be just over 11 US.

I won't rent. Used machines hold value really well here, so if I can get a good deal, no matter which way I go, I may be able to come out ahead after the trip, if it's something I won't continue as a hobbie. But I'm hoping it'll be something I'd want to continue into retirement.

5. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would vote SxS for a trip like this one, I have both and have done 200+ km days on both but my experience is a 60"+ wide SxS is going to be more comfortable for long days, able to carry much more fuel and other crap on it without crowding you nor changing the machines balance as dramatically. A SxS with full doors, a roof and a half windshield or more is also a much, much nicer place to spend a rainy day than sitting on a quad.

To be honest I would be much more inclined to talk with the guys you are going on the trip with to get their opinions in regards to brands; outside of larger metropolitan areas a brand supported by a great local dealer is likely to be a better choice than one with a poor (or no) local dealer. As well if the guys you are going with tend to gravitate to a particular brand you will have that group knowledge and experience to pull from if you encounter any mechanical issues as well as a likely source of existing spare parts. Not to mention the ability to swap out suspect parts with a known working one.

In my case most of the guys I ride with are on Can-Am SxS and ATV's so if I need help diagnosing, working on or need to borrow/loan a spare belt, tire, wheel, axle, ignition switch, brake pads, ball joint, tie rod etc. I am confident that I can make a few phone calls and find what I need before a ride or if we have a machine broke on the trail we can get it back to camp or the next stop by shuttling machines and cannibalizing machines as needed.

Case in point I can change a front axle on my Maverick (or one of the other guys I ride with Can-Am SxS or ATV) in 20 minutes or so; if you asked me to do the same job on a different brand machine I would not be nearly as useful nor have a spare axle I can lend you if needed:

[​IMG]
    Maggot12 and pluric like this.
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I am sure that Pluric is correct about the SxS having better weather protection and being more comfortable. Having done one brief test ride with a Rhino 10 years ago I don't know much else about them.
    No idea if Mv7s ever were sold in Canada (pretty sure mine was made there) but you will be hard pressed to find an ATV that can work harder. Steel decks front and rear to carry about anything (lots of bags of concrete mix, bridge building lumber lashed across the two decks to get deep down the trails, etc.), two winches, front and rear fuel tanks (it is heavy and thirsty). I could not call it comfortable but mine has carried 5 people, one on each back corner to support the drunk with the sprained ankle between them, me driving and someone on the front to hold it down so it would steer. Not recommended by anyone (except those who did not have to carry said drunk out of the woods!).
    It would certainly carry all the camping gear needed for the trip!

Bruce
    Bucho likes this.
  7. pluric

Oddometer:
    I'll be 65 in a November. I have a lake side vacation home surrounded by hills.
    I still keep my trail bikes but they get used less and less. I'm often solo and the
    thought of a trail crash alone on the bike becomes more of a concern.

I really enjoy the smell the roses trail rides. You can just look around more and
    enjoy the scenery than the focus riding the bike does not allow. I've also picked
    up a airgun hobby the last few years and the sideXside allows me to carry targets
    and such.

So I can easily see using one during the retirement years. :gerg:D
    katbeanz and Maggot12 like this.
  8. pluric

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I get that a lot!:photog
    Fire Escape and Maggot12 like this.
  9. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

Probably, but this time it might be true!

:hide

Bruce
    pluric likes this.
  10. pluric

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Touché and well played Sir.:thumb
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Odd story. So I saw a great deal this past monday on a quad that I had to make a go at to try and buy. 20 minutes away, 2017 CanAm 570XT, 1200kms on it. Kitted out and looked mint.
    Guy is asking 6500 which was about 1500 less than similar with less accessories and more kms. Shared several texts, and my last text on Monday was, let me know when's a good time to come take a look. I'll bring cash and a trailer. He's urgent to sell, needing a car for the winter.

Did't hear back and next day the price is dropped to 6k. I text him to let me know when and where and I'll be there. Nothing.

On Wed, price drops again to 5500. I'm like, come on man, let me know. I want to see it. Nothing.

Thursday morning, 9am the price drops to 5200. Oh my fuck... I text right away, he responds immediately saying he has a guy coming over tonight. I said I can come now, after lunch, after work, whatever. And told him I've been trying to see the machine since monday.

He text me 10pm thursday night and said he sold it... :fpalm

I guess that wasn't meant to be... :lol3
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    So looking at SxS now and going around to dealers looking at some new stuff. So unless a crazy deal shows up for a quad that I can't pass up, they're out.

I'm liking the Commander models, 800 and 1000, and Teryx 800. Sat in those today. Will hit the Yamaha and Polaris dealers next week. There are a few decent deals on some 13-14 yr Rzr 800s, and a 14 Teryx for 10k locally.

As for what the other guys will be travelling with. It's all over the map, and all quad owners thus far.
  13. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer the quads, on side by sides the dust from the front wheels is in your face all the time. With a quad the dust is behind you, the wind in your face and a sport quad is lots of fun to slide around the corners, and accelerate down the straight. The side by side is slower, less fun to race around, weights a ton and costs 3-4 times as much. My wife has no interest in riding with me so it is a quad for me. I'm saving money, having tons of fun and don"t have someone screaming at me to slow down.
  14. pluric

Oddometer:
    :scratch Not so sure on the dust comment. I've never noticed it being an issue in my sidexsides.
    I do run 1/4 windscreens but that's more for wind comfort than dust abatement.

Just loaded my sport up tonight for a ride tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Bring your sport quad over and we'll see how they slide together.:wink::evil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slower? 80 mph stock 100 with the chip out. And this is old school compared to the new stuff.

I agree my Teryx is more along the lines of what you described a utility UTV to
    be like. But it serves the perfect work horse function and a fun trail machine with
    it's shorter length for a 4 seater.

[​IMG]
  15. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    80?
    Our woods are way too tight for anything like that, I have only occasionally run the Mv7 in high range! I ran the Mv up to 50 in a local corn field after we had harvested. Perhaps it was the furrows from planting but that really was as fast as I had any desire to try.

Bruce
  16. pluric

Oddometer:
    If you do consider the Teryx see if you can find a LE model. 14" wheels, better lighting
    sun roof and I think the shocks might be different too.

With a quad single up, other than the elements, would be okay. Just when you say your son
    is going that's a long time to stare at your back.:D
    Fire Escape and Maggot12 like this.
  17. pluric

Oddometer:
    A lot of it is the design of the machine. No way would I want my old Rhino to go fast.
    I'd changed the ECU and clutch and it would do 50. Scared the shit out of me.
    Body roll and crap suspension.

The Teryx will go 50 and still be fairly stable. It's not fun at that speed.
    The YXZ is just a sport machine designed to be much better handling at speed.
    Lots of suspension travel. Off road I seldom have an area to open it up.
    Manual transmission and more of an off road sports car.:D

Still, gravity is a bitch....:bluduh

[​IMG]
    Bucho, Fire Escape and Maggot12 like this.
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There are a couple LE Teryx's around. I like the Commander and RZR over it though. Nicer cockpit seating and "looks" like more fun. I think I like the Wolverine the most but needs to be a 19 model with the vtwin.

Can't see dust being much better (less) on a quad. If there are a bunch of us going, only the lead guy won't be caked in it.

I get the more active and feel of being out there in a quad over a sxs. Much like a motorcycle.
    As mentioned though, 10 days 2up and 100-140 km per day. It's a no contest that the SxS will be much better for the trek.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking at machines every day.

Need to stick with the 60" wide or less for these trails, and tons of options in the segment. No large sport atv's like you're running.

Some quads are not cheap either. Saw a used 2016 yesterday for 17,000.

19. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I rented a Teryx 4 for a couple days and my only complaint was the crazy engine heat on the driver and left side rear passenger's legs. We couldn't own one after that experience, although maybe in Canada that'd be a plus. It might save buying a cabin heater. Our Wolverine X4 has pretty much no engine heat getting into the cab. The downside of the Wolverine is the doors aren't amenable to fat people.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Haven't rode a Teryx, but all reviews say the same about the heat. I'm not so fond of the taller seating.
    Do you have the newer gen X4 (2018+).

Just found a local Yami dealer is having an atv/SxS ride day on a motocross race track this coming Saturday. Got my name booked for a 2020 Wolverine.

Planning to look at a 2013 800 Rzr tomorrow.