Show us something that you MADE...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea, I had been thinking about using leather cord or to put rubber bumpers on the points. For right now I got those wing nuts as tight as I can get them without using tools.
    Fire Escape and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    PM me your address and the diameter of the shift lever, unless you want to cut the mount hole yourself... Include your favourite colour. Consider it paying back for the donations I've gotten from so many others here for the "This is "Spock" build. I may not get to it immediately, but you'll get it before ski season starts. Unless you're one of those lunatics (Former lunatic here) that just puts on a wetsuit and jumps in....
    Last time I put on a wetsuit, a bunch of guys in kayaks, and a Japanese factory boat tried to harpoon me.....
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as the tripod sliding on the floor goes, all you really need to do is give each leg a good smack with a hammer.
    As a bonus it will be easier to put it back in the same spot after you knock it over while sweeping.
  4. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
  5. Highliner

Highliner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the offer, I have a wood burl I may be able to scrounge up, and a few deer shedhorns if you want any working stock for future projects.
    Da Bear and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not exciting, not creative, but precise down to a few ten thou, so maybe that counts for something? Got a pump in at work that another shop had fixed (a few times I think) very poorly... Lopped off, TIG welded and turned some 316.

Attached Files:

7. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    That pump has seen some very green water....That is if the impeller is any indication.
    Meanwhile, I found some dimensional old growth 1 x 12 Cedar today. Two 4' boards nailed to each other. One had a nasty check, the other was, other than the almost a century of weathering, dirt and grit, perfect.
    By the time I got to it, you'd expect it to be in pretty bad shape. When I cut it, the scent of cut Cedar filled the air outside my shop (I move the table saw out there on nice days) So I could cut it to the sizes I needed.
    I've spent so much time building bird Houses for other folks, that I Have none myself. DaBearWife asked that I remedy that. So I took a day off from other obligations, and made her a coffee can bird house.
    That's when I discovered my hole saw is missing from its holder.....
    It's done but for the damned hole.
  8. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Just hang it and pray for a wood pecker
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bear, the impeller isn't pictured... the green on the fins is from the high pressure grease I use on the steady rest (that's also the reason my weld didn't clean up BTW, had to keep the stub weld below the shaft's nominal to clear the steady). but this *was out of a shit pump. As in, a pump for shit. We do a lot of work for the local water sanitation facility. Although this particular one wasn't a black water pump. Luckily I'm just the machinist, I don't do the tear-downs. Although to be fair, teardowns on shit pumps pay really well!
    JagLite, SmittyBlackstone and Da Bear like this.
  10. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Not made but remade. Built it from boxes of pieces. Almost every bolt has been turned by me.
    She runs and rides better than new. '08 with 22k miles. (And 4 sale).
    20190925_214457.jpg 20190925_214508.jpg
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Our shop stopped doing sewage pumps, some 20+ years ago because we/I was not to keen on getting all the shots, now I am not asking/making my guys get them either, we used to do a few stub shafts, but found it to be a week link at the weld joint and just press out the bad shaft and replace with new.
    JagLite and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    We built our sidehack, back in 78-79, based upon 'parameters' supplied by the NETRA sidehack enduro community. We got to race it 4-5 times; got a 2nd at an event in Meriden, CT. Bestly- was the practice [playing] that we did on local trails- that was the best part.
    Yamahack x3.jpg
    dcwilcox, tjzondrz, alpina and 5 others like this.
  13. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Wood Pecker? Ummmm I made one of those on the lathe last month. Special order.... Yeah THAT was an interesting email exchange....
  14. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a 47 Knuckle Head Harley. I found the engine in parts in a box up in the mezzanine storage area over the teachers office in Auto Shop, at the end of my sophomore year. The instructor told me that if I got it running by the end of my Junior year, no matter how badly I did on the rest of the course, he'd give me an "A".
    I did, I even had to mill new parts in Metal Shop, where my sister was the teachers aid....
    Senior year, I made the frame in Metal shop, wheeled it over to Auto shop, and mounted the engine and it was off to the parking lot.
    I fucking hated that bike. I didn't cry when it got wrecked.
    Now your bike, I am smitten....
    pigjockey, Hay Ewe, skibum69 and 3 others like this.
  15. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Work in progress. She wanted a pergola so we designed something simple and got ready to have it made in alumawood. Last minute decision it has to support a hammock and this monstrosity was birthed. 16x20 on 8' post. Gotten this far on my own, but calling in support for the last 11 beams.

20190924_163930.jpg
  16. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    What's the weight comparison and I'll assume they're hollow. What's the wall thickness?
  17. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    This is all rough sawn lumber, so that 4x12-20 beam was 200# vs 15# or so in the smaller aluminum version.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Backup received a honey-do list. Apparently if he was going to be helping out on projects, the ones at his home have priority. Progress must go on but at a leisurely pace.

20190927_150557.jpg
  19. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Joint effort by DaBearWife and myself. I grew the Peppers, Tomatoes, and Tomatillos. She added the magic. I stirred while she got the jars ready.
    We're making two different batches. This is the sort of mild. The next batch will kill you; or at least make you wish it did. What's great about this stuff is that it tastes incredible, so you have more; and about a minute or so into your little munch out you realize that an atomic reactor has begun to melt down in your head....And yet you're torn; do you stop, and try to put out the raging fire in your mouth nose and throat, or do you just go right on munching, because it tastes sooooo damned Goooood? IMG_20190928_132004354[1].jpg IMG_20190928_132015781[1].jpg
  20. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s cool! What kind of glue for the wood to acrylic joints?