Show us something that you MADE...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 8, 2009.

1. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    It's pretty and I understand none of what you said. I do think I recognize the "blade" as a car antenna though.
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like the same one on my exploder LOL but it sure is purdy
    JagLite and Da Bear like this.
  3. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    Yep, car antenna.
    JagLite and DeepBarney like this.
  4. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Put in some more work in today. Just need to put a second coat on the slats that will go up next time I have an assistant with opposable thumbs.
    20191003_111302.jpg 20191003_145525.jpg 20191003_145340.jpg
  5. tcs06

tcs06 The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer:
    So, is this your design or are you using a plan you bought. Curious because I would like something similar for my patio.
  6. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    The local lumberyard has a build your own kit type of deal, but we deviated a fair amount from that. You give the overall dimensions, select the corbel shape and hardware style. Chose to go with a bit less busy style with 6x6 post instead of 4x4 sandwiched between two 2x6, 4x12 main beams, and 4x6 intermediate vs 2x6. The top slats will be 2x3, but 1x1 and 2x4 were also options. All hardware is Simpson StrongTie.

Most quotes we got for 14'x20' free standing in alumawood and rough sawn timber were in the same range. Installation quotes came to at minimum double the material cost. For $6k in labor I'll take a few weekends and do it myself. If you don't have aspirations of hanging a hammock from yours, do it in aluminum. Lighter, no paint, no termites, no rust.
  7. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    X1000

I went with all AL and have zero regrets. Most folks don't notice it's not wood until I tell them.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Another one of those I had the parts but was waiting for the muse to strike things. We have our last three sales of the year coming up:
    11-23 in Olympia Wa.
    11-30 here in Portland.
    12-8 in Seattle Wa.
    And then it's nothing until next Easter weekend.
    So DBW is on me to make stock. No reason I can't have some fun whilst doing that, is there?
    So I made this. I had to seriously rework the brass the cut lead crystal is mounted in, and cutting tenons on the faux tortoise shell acrylic was touch and go (kept getting too hot and deforming) but the end results will sell for about $100.00. Still, there's about 6 hours of work, and a $35.00 Kingwood blank in there, not to mention the other components.
    The price should probably go up...
    17" cut crystal, and Kingwood wand.
    But man, the refraction on the crystal is incredible... IMG_20191004_112903738[1].jpg
  9. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    $250.00 at least !!!
  10. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    (100-35)/6= $10.83/hr
    So, you're basically working for around minimum wage.
    Night_Wolf and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Yeah, less if you count the hours and cost of going out and buying materials, The cost of the crystal, and that piece of acrylic. It's like writing. I get about 15 cents a word... after editing, and rewrites it's minimum wage; and that's if the story sells at all.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Price too low

all you’re doing at $100 is fucking yourself
  13. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    This isn't JM...

This isn't JM...

This isn't JM

M
    DirtBikeMike07, imnothng and Da Bear like this.
  14. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i finnaly managed to afford and find all the parts to do something ive wanted to do for a very VERY long time, back in the early 80s my parents picked up "space dual" arcade at auction for neerly nothing, i played that up untill we sold it in 86 when we moved, and as a kid born in the 70s i fully know the feel of an arcade and when malibu grand prix shut down down the road from me i was heart broken...

a couple weeks ago at random an arcade cabinet popped up on my WIFE's facebook page as spam she showed me....ive been on the hunt for a cheep cab for a long time, guy wanted 60$ for it so i blasted out to the other end of portland to have a look, offered him 50 and drooooooooled over his collection , offered 50 and dragged it home, spent quite a few hours researching and pealing off the "reskin" turnes out it started life as a streetfighter II chamionship edition(the big blue boxes if you look close youll note the blue around one side of the coin door) now see i remember beating on one of these down at the local plaid panty by the highschool bonus a friend worked nights and i got free plays...so it kinda makes this an even odder cool find for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so the game board was gone, and the monitor was assumed to only need a flyback, yeah i got a flyback for it and still couldnt breath life into it, i havnt given up but its low priority for now, and the cab had been "reskined" as a vampire hunter game, i carefully pealed off the controlls skin to reveal a reasonable condition SF CEii skin which will stay for now, the locks and coin "shutes" are missing but otherwise shes all there

i managed to grab a free 27 in trinitron from a local inmate for free, grabed a vid converter and a pandoras box, only to find major wiring changes and missing/bad infor on the pandora for it, so i spent a ton of time figureing out the wiring and was forced to re-wire the entire cab, theres a love/hate with these "z back" cabs as techs hated the way the monitors come out the front, however the controls, and platform come out realy nicely for working on anything else

so the re-build was on, my wife is out of town for another week so im pretty restless and its been a good outlet as frustrating of a build as its been

as youll note in a previous pic, the 25 inch unit that came out is on a "cage" this cage is how the units are protected and mounted, so the 27 inch needed the same treatment, which had to be fully scratch built as well as the cab needed to be "adjusted" the upper and lowwer mount boards were unscrewed and put in the bottom of the cab and new boards had to be made, i made 3 sets before getting them right, due to the depth of the 27 it had to be mounted out further, so instead of 1/2inch ply i used 2x4s hacked down to 2 inch on the bottom around 2.75 up top

another HUGE challange was getting the TV boards mounted into such a tight space, i cut up and salvaged and trimmed alot of chunks off the tv "body" ...grinding ABS is fun and messy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyone whose had a 27-32 inch ol CRT tv knows thes bastards are NOT light, now add a bunch of steel to it and give yourself 1/4 inch on each side, 3/4 inch clearance at the marque overhang...getting that in there by myself was tricky, worse was finding that due to the angle of insertion the top board had to come out and get another 1/2 inch knocked off of it, you just cant pre plan for swing angle sometimes, but i figured out a way to prop out the unit to remove the board with 1 foot extention, and re-install it...NOT fun next was to install the guts and re-wire it all, 2 days later alot of cussing and back n forth with the internet...yes jamma is a standard, but its also modified slightly for multiple aplications meaning...jamma is not always jamma and is only truely compatable on the power end and joystick, everything else is up for interpretation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the vga to svid unit is not working entirely and will need to go back, i need to try converting vga to component and see if that cleans things up going to rca causes ugly issues.....everything got mounted "within reach" thru the coin door, white box is the main brain red is the vid converter which has switches on it for adjustment, to the left youll note the TV's set top mounted controls, funny enough with the control panel down the remote still works the tv cleanly so..bonus

i ran some tests and its working well, fired up a few games, the factory pandora library is HUGE but things like digdug are named "annoying" alot of copyright names have been altered in name only...sooo good luck finding what your after..had to do a test run of SF II CE , played it for a good hour+ around 3am lastnight, i need to order up a marquee off ebay, get/make coin shutes so it can be coin ran like the vintage pepsi machine we use, get locks for the doors, a new trim bezel for the screen(the old ones too nice to hack up), and ts single speaker, im thinking about running sound thru the tv and then dual speakering it so i can control the volume otherwise ive got a lil over 100$ into it, a full week of time, im tickled pink with it

eventualy...it will get a FULL makeover with full art work, but me and my wife have to agree on the artwork..10-1 odds are it will be done up as a original gauntlet tribute as its one of few games we could likely both agree on being in the livingroom or it will just get a full repaint, new t-moldings and a clean simple control overlay and then a few different marquees as i found a guy doing them like the orignals to any size for 20$

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve always wanted my own Millipede game.
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    to be honest theres 3-4 games id kill for, gauntlet, radmobile, spyhunter, digdug, and 2 pinball machines getaway and a tossup between giligans island and whirlwind...im a sucker for the widebodys

but lets be honest..thats ALOT of floor spac and have you seen what trashed ones go for?..yeah not likely to fit in my budget
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddy has a centipede game.
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out shooting this weekend and it was disappointing how little there
    was to put in the crosshairs. When I got home I decided to make some
    break-down travel targets to carry on the UTV. I'd made some Pot Gut
    silhouettes while practicing with a plasma cutter. I also had a couple small
    bird ones too.

So I put a spring return on the Pot Gut. Then added tube stock that allows
    3/8ths round stock to slide through it. So it can break down and have support
    to not fall over backward on impact or fall forward on the return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took it out in the backyard to test it with a little off-hand at 25 yards.
    Just what I wanted. With three I can set them out at different distances.

[​IMG]

For the birds I made a slide together base and uprights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little harder to hit but should be a fun diversion on the trail.

[​IMG]
    tjzondrz, JagLite, basepc and 11 others like this.
  19. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Last bit of pergola spam. Finally finished lifting heavy things overhead while perched on a ladder. Put some lights up for fun, but they might stay.

20191009_114405.jpg 20191009_185014.jpg
  20. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks really nice. I like the way you did the cross boards at the very top. I ended up just using cheap plastic lattice panels. Works well and filters the sun a bit, but doesn't look as nice.
    Night_Wolf and Wingnut037 like this.