Show us something that you MADE...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Last bit of pergola spam. Finally finished lifting heavy things overhead while perched on a ladder. Put some lights up for fun, but they might stay.

20191009_114405.jpg 20191009_185014.jpg
  2. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks really nice. I like the way you did the cross boards at the very top. I ended up just using cheap plastic lattice panels. Works well and filters the sun a bit, but doesn't look as nice.
    Night_Wolf and Wingnut037 like this.
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I decided to add a few more break-down options to my UTV target box.
    Rather than use a shorter box and have two piece legs I went with a little longer
    storage box that gave me extra room. With the extra space I can always add to the options.
    All the legs are the same length so they can interchange.

Using this for now....

[​IMG]

The bird holder had a little wiggle in it so I added some wingnut bolts to snug it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All fits into this travel box.

[​IMG]

This is for airgun use. Target shooting uses more air so now I'm looking at making
    a better system to secure a spare fill tank to the UTV. Must be a simple removal set up.:hmmmmm
  4. hitmanh

hitmanh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sculpted in clay, made a silicon mould, then cold cast in epoxy with brass powder, a quick polish with wire wool and voila, one mask for halloween.

mask.jpg
    BOBaloo22, earwig, caycek5 and 17 others like this.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    What is the spacing on the top cross-members? The rear of our house is South facing & in the summer it used to be unbearably hot, trying to BBQ dinner, until we added the pergola attached to the house. This might give just enough extra shade, to make the effort worth it
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    For easy, inexpensive shade - look up shade sails.
  7. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traditionally, Pergolas are supposed to have a plant canopy or a retractable canvas hanging underneath the rafters. Not sure why the trend now is to leave it completely open since it doesn't do a whole lot for shading that way.

I have seen some with louvers that can open and close in the gaps to change the amount of shade/sun you get.
  8. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep the lights. It looks nice.
  9. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I used 2 X 6 boards & am actually surprised at how much it does cut the temperature on the deck. We get a lot of snow here & I don't want anything that solid where a heavy load can bring it crashing down. The "ledger" board was already attached to the house when we moved in & while I know the front is secure as I overbuilt it (4 x 6 pressure treated lag bolted to the deck) I'm not sure what the previous owners hit when they attached their ledger board with. I have recently discussed with The_Filly redoing the deck surface & when we do, actually adding some supports to the ledger for some "extra" strength
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    I placed the first and last ones before measuring, so it came to something strange like 7.58" from center to center. Made a board with 2 nails and a piece of string and wrapped it around the appropriate number of times, then marked it to get even spacing. Did those across the 1st and 8th beams to mitigate some of the warps. Hope that helps.
    SmittyBlackstone and Night_Wolf like this.
  11. ehatcher

ehatcher Hello? Is this thing on? Supporter

Oddometer:
    We heat with wood and storage near the house is always a problem... The storage needs to be temporary because the space is our patio in warm weather. And, in a year or two, we are going to put a roof over part of the patio, and at that time I will put in some easy to remove racks. Last year we cross-stacked the wood near the ends...but it was a pain in the ass to keep everything from moving around and falling.

So I drew up a neat rack I could build out of treated 2x4s that would keep the wood off the ground and hold two cords. Then I priced out what it would cost....way too much for a temporary solution. I was sort of depressed that a smart and talented guy like me couldn't build a wood rack and would have to make do yet again this year.

But then I had a thought "If you are so smart and talented - you ought to be able to figure out a real cheap way to build that rack..."

Shortly thereafter, I had an idea.

A quick trip out in my truck yielded lots of free wood
    [​IMG]

A little careful planning and some masterfully fitted joinery...
    [​IMG]
    Okay, I thought about for nearly two minutes and cut the supports up with a sawzall....

Anyway, an hour later, I had a temporary wood rack to hold two cords
    [​IMG]

I have built a lot of cool stuff, most of which has already been posted in this thread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But sometimes there is a lot to be said for not overthinking and spending money and time.

Pretty damn happy with my cheapo wood rack. Got it all filled up with two cords of wood now and it works great. I even went overboard and bought a 19 dollar tarp at Harbor Freight to cover it with. Toward the end of the heating season I can hack it up and toss it in the woodstove to get rid of it.
  12. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fastest Barstool Racer in the state of WV. Built from plans.[​IMG]
    tjzondrz, JagLite, josjor and 5 others like this.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago there were a few of those power bar stools at Daytona Bike Week..... with turbine power!

Bruce
    SmittyBlackstone and pigjockey like this.
  14. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i keep eyeing our old push mower and aging engine, then eyeball those spare z50 engines, you know you cant kill one of those......
  15. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    JagLite, dkayw and MikeBike4 like this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Reminds me of a local artist who makes sculpture from found objects, yours would go very nicely next to my whirlybird.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my whirlybird, you can see why I like your tractor. The fishing lures are just there for lack of anywhere better to put them
    [​IMG]
  19. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is why I built mine like I did. I put lattice panels on the top. They look OK, but do a good job of providing filtered shade. The South Florida sun is just too hot for certain plants during the summer. Not full shade but the filtered shade does great.
    Night_Wolf and Da Bear like this.
  20. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    Plus, it lets the wind through. Not that Florida ever gets high winds....:lol3
    danh600 likes this.