Show us your 790 graphics, paint jobs, rattle can specials, bedliner?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by braaap!, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Good news on the decat and EVO fuel controller. Are you running with the O2 sensors unplugged to run fuel adjustments in closed loop ? Do you have the FI light on because of it ?
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    The trick is allowing yourself a chance to 'place' the graphics panel in as perfect an orientation as you can first WITHOUT committing to exposing the entire sticky surface all at once!

You do this by:

* Putting the graphics panel upside down on a table. Then pull up half the sticky backing and cutting it off. Then with the piece you've just removed, go to the border that was just cut and cut off another ¼". Now stick this backing back down. Now when you look at what you have you should be looking down at your upside down graphics panel and there should be only a ¼" portion of the sticky side exposed.

* I use a spray bottle of warm water, a bit of windex, and a drop of dish soap. I first clean my plastics, then spray my panel with the solution. This creates a nice medium which allows me to move my graphics around as I position it perfectly.

* I use my ¼" exposed sticky segment to line up my graphics perfectly, and even if I'm initially off a bit, the wet medium allows me to slide the piece around until I nail it. Then I apply pressure to up and down that sticky segment so it adheres nicely into place, and only then..

* I begin to peel one half of the backing off at a time, sticking my graphics down as I go. Again, the medium is there to allow you to work the graphics around bends etc without worrying you'll F*** up, and lay it down on a dry surface .. forever stuck, or crumpled.

* And finally use the squeegee above or similar to slowly work out any air pockets. Once again made simple by virtue of the wet medium. Start in the centre of the piece, and squeegee out to the edges.
    Flatroads, comac90, trapperj and 2 others like this.
  3. JBW70

JBW70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes mate, the O2 sensors are unplugged and the engine light is on. They’re looking for a solution to that but it doesn’t overly bother me tbh. I’m just happy it’s running the way it was supposed to before Euro 4/5 made the manufacturers lean out the AF mix. You can see it in the Rottweiler maps when the revs hit 6-7000 RPM and the ECU starts dumping fuel in.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up for Racestar Graffix. Please ignore the black tape on the seat covering the orange. I did that temporarily for pictures until I got an all black seat. Which I have, but the latest iOS upgrade scrambled my pictures and I can’t find a current one.
    6EEACFB5-E7EA-4664-B4F4-120CBDE06E67.jpeg
  5. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent hours and hours looking over the internet at aftermarket graphics for 790, 950, 990, 1190 etc., looking for ideas. I’m amazed that I didn’t like 95% of them

You know what I was visually drawn to every time?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Simple but tasteful

Thanks for listening
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, classic! The LC8 bodywork has much simpler lines than our ‘unicorn’... Still persevering to achieve a stealthy, simple scheme...
    CaseyB likes this.
  7. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Bump

Talked with the south African company. Very prompt response, seem nice to deal with.

They did not like my ideas :lol3

Too plain i believe was the issue also a lack of direction on my part. I said I wanted two colors split in half - Orange and Black in solids.

They did provide about 10 examples of other bikes, I liked one of them and it so happened to be an inmates bike.

If I can figure out how to use a simple program besides photoshop to paste some ideas on the bike, I would be in much better shape. I have a folder full of pics i've taken off the world web, just need to combine all the different pieces I like from each. Be much easier to convey something visually rather than me describing it through the written word.

And just to reaffirm, I wouldn't hesitate to contact them again and work with them.
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Racestar Graffix?
  9. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Yeah
  10. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I probably wore them out designing my Cagiva replica graphics :lol3
    Seriously though, they are very talented and the actual graphic material is first class. We did have to do some back and forth to make a few areas correct. Scanning a 3D surface like that crazy 790 gas tank and printing multi-piece graphics that are 2D and making the magic happen is a real trick. So, if you can come up with a design, you will like the product. Just take my design and maybe replace the logos with solid colors.
    CaseyB likes this.
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Crash bars still make 990 look big and heavy :hmmmmm
    Venturer and SoilSampleDave like this.
  12. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree but just an observation, the images posted above seem a bit deceiving... Like a fat cahnt is sitting on board but 'shopped' out... The 950 / 990 doesn't sit so low on it's suspension un-weighted.
    Look at the front wheel overlap with the forward tank crease... My 950 sits higher even on 15yo suspension.
    ramirin likes this.
  13. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Graphics From UpShift. 836E1BCB-6F35-4135-9437-730647332133.jpeg
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Well I'll be damned. That has to be one of, if not the only, orange schemes I've ever liked. Nicely done!
  15. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yep - even makes the ugly stock seat look good.
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Precisely! Now that I zoom in, it looks to be a flat finish. Perhaps the draw for me. They did a great job on their pallette.

*back to macrame'ing something to hang my helmet in..* :photog
  17. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes they have a matt and gloss finish.
    The Matt finish did it for me. Not really a big Graphics guy. But I thought this was really different and low key. the stuff just covered with sponsors logos all over it looks great on a race bike!!! Not for me here....

let me know how the helmet holder turns out!!!.
    TrailTrauma, CaseyB and braaap! like this.
  18. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen where to get the flag stickers from the front end wind deflector (Chrish Birch has his NZ flag)?
  19. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looked really cool :-D Like it alot :-)
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  20. blackSP

blackSP Love the Pussy Wagon

Oddometer:
    Did anybody remove all stickers? Curious to see how that will turn out in real live.