1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Show us your bicycle.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by kbasa, Mar 15, 2009.

1. wiswoodsguy

wiswoodsguy Hickster

Oddometer:
    Added some Fat to the herd.

Wife giggled the entire time she rode a rented Farley, so i picked her up a Framed Wolftrax 2. Nice fit and finish, seems stout but light, couple steps up from entry level but doesnt dent the wallet. They had a 40% off sale on the 27.5x3, so i scooped that up for myself as i wait for an Alaskan alloy to be shipped.

Can never have too many bikes

85721C76-D62D-4C88-8482-8920C013C17D.jpeg
  2. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    My dog bike.
    IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    lvscrvs, danger_dave, LoJack and 12 others like this.
  3. wiswoodsguy

wiswoodsguy Hickster

Oddometer:
    2 words: Holiday Sale :fpalm

64B085AE-6CF2-435D-9662-48C18A2AC17A.jpeg
  4. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Knocked out 34 miles ( with 3900’ of climbs) of gravel last Friday. I had so much fun I can’t wait for the roads to dry out so I can do it again.
    E34A5799-B19E-4E6E-AB3C-F592FFBF4CDA.jpeg D432DCA8-4683-409B-839F-B1A773AAB047.jpeg
    Tallbastid, lvscrvs, rixcafe and 6 others like this.
  5. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ love that paint.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  6. Secondset

Secondset Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D85CD152-8831-4903-BD5B-98CD5B342786.jpeg
    Just got my new Framed Alaskan carbon to replace my older specialized fatboy that my nephew has now been inherited...freaking love this bike...true that you can never have too many...this is lucky #13...
  7. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to flash my new ride here today. But FedEx let me down. Sat around all day, as instructed by the tracking info. Nothing showed. Repeat tomorrow.

S.C.
  8. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah - I understand - all four of my bikes are 'dog bikes' - as well as other duties.

I just repurposed my veteran Kona (yet again) - stripped it right back and now it's in 'Motard Mode'. With the Hookworms on it's quite fast and sick fun.

[​IMG]

The STR-29 keeps on being 'refined'. There is some serious-arse Profile and Bullseye money in this build.

[​IMG]

I broke the frame on my first fat bike and have just finished this Reid Boss build - BMX cruiser meets monster truck is the theme. Really good lighting was the latest add for night runs through the jungle:

[​IMG]

And the Electra does cargo duty and park runs:

[​IMG]
    MrBob, nuggets and DogBoy like this.
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How would you compare it to the Fatboy?

I had a Fatboy but sold it. Got a Badass Cannondale Bad Habit 1 Carbon to replace it but I don't like it like I did the Fatboy.

Should have went high end fat instead of high end plus FS.
  10. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    @danger_dave that's an excellent bike collection you have. Nice style!

I have just recently picked up this Salsa bicycle. The Journeyman flat bar. I love the copper color. In the first pic, you can see just after I got it with a nice set of blue Race Face Chester pedals I got for it.
    [​IMG]

And here it is now, with rack, fenders, and lights, all set up for commuter mode.
    [​IMG]

I love it so far.
    lvscrvs, Chillis, HapHazard and 3 others like this.
  11. Secondset

Secondset Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my fatboy but I find this bike to be lighter and faster w/ the carbon frame and wheels...I also wanted to hook my nephew up so he got the specialized, So I still get to see it and ride it and will be able to compare it more when we go together... I’ve only had one chance to ride it in the snow so far and it was awesome...I definitely carves better, as much as a fat bike can carve, I have taken it on a few super muddy trail rides and it performed flawlessly...I did my homework and realized that this carbon frame was shared across a few other brands but found the price point on this one for all the carbon goodies, build, and the rock shox bluto to be a better deal...big Framed fan now, I have another fat bike and a full suspension BLUE carbon MTB and I find myself on this one more than either of those.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got in a nice ride this morning. Started noticing when I took the bike out the other day that the rubber band on the shock shaft was awfully low. Sort of piqued the interest but still did not do anything.

Today on this ride I kept getting abnormal pedal strikes. The bike wasn't holding line or allowing line changes. Knew something was up so when I got home I popped open that suspension pump that was still in the package from when I'd bought the bike.

Checked what it was supposed to be. Rear supposed to be 224psi, front, 121psi.

My numbers were front and rear 100psi.

No wonder this thing has been sacked out and those pedals are dragging as... Dragging.

Bike feels completely different. Makes a good case for hardtail.

Now I have to get some fresh goop in the tires to reseal them. After the wash they were leaking a little bit.

The trail we were on, we'd never tried before. So awesome riding the edge of the cliffs. Especially when your ride is not turning the way it should.

IMG_20190112_103006.jpg
    IMG_20190112_102942.jpg
  13. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Beautiful vistas.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    A question for those that wrench on bikes...

I have a rowing machine made by a company called Concept2 Model A. It's somewhere north of 30 years old, built like a tank, and I use it regularly; typically a morning 10k on M-W-F and a morning 6k on T-Th. I'm thinking of ramping up the effort and I'd like to incorporate a more current line of thought w/ regard to the drag setting. Drag is established by manually taking the chain off of whichever gear it's on and placing it on a different gear before you begin your row and can't be changed mid-row w/out manually stoping and resetting the gears.

Current thought is that there's not much value to pulling really hard and the older machines weren't set up to allow you to use the largest gear as it would cause other interference issues.

What I'd like to do is stack the gears on the hub in the opposite order of what we're all used to seeing. I want the big gear to be outboard and the smallest one to be near the hub and spokes.

It looks to me like the mfg just pirated a 10 speed wheel for the machine and replaced the tire w/ a thick iron band and then added some plastic cards to create air resistance. Is there any reason why the old gear sets couldn't be taken apart and reassembled in a different order?

It looks a lot like the one at this link:

https://www.concept2.com/service/indoor-rowers/model-a
  15. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Depending on the hub and manufacturer the cogs might be splined or threaded, depending on their intended positions, and reversing the order might not be doable. Have to see it, probably apart.
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    This

...but... you may be able to get some singlespeed cogs and try some DIYing

M
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Thank you both.
  18. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Winter storage question: My summer bike has hydraulic brakes and wondering if I can store it in an unheated garage (it gets cold up here) or should it be in the basement. All my other bikes have been cable brakes and stored in the garage.

Thanks
  19. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only time I'd be the least bit concerned is if you're riding below -15 unless they use DOT fluid.
    Storing them upright, clean and dry is the safest bet.
  20. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Not sure what kind of fluid, haven't attempted to drain and fill yet. I use another, cable brake bike for winter riding and I find around -15, the braking, shifting (rider) get slow.:lol3

Thanks, I will move it to the garage overhead (upright) as the basement is getting crowded.