1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Show us your bicycle.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by kbasa, Mar 15, 2009.

1. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I have some bikes with those. Just seems silly when a quill stem will adjust instantly.

Of course that being said, I have a bike I want to change to rigid forks instead of the China suspension forks but I can’t find a fork with a long enough threaded stem.
  2. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    Fitted new forks and a sealed bearing headset this afternoon. The Standard Reid forks were starting to bend so I got some sturdier triple trees.
    New Brooks Cabrium C19 Saddle too.
    Took it for a shakedown run with my pal and ended up getting very muddy. Huge fat fun.
    Still a lot I want to do with the build, but it's starting to come together.
    [​IMG]
    FlagRS likes this.
  3. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Steerer tube (or simply steerer) is the term to know when shopping for a new fork. And if you do find one it will likely be an aftermarket one-size-fits-all that has most of the steerer threaded so it can be cut off to accommodate frames small or large.
  4. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the new forks! Just added a Brooks Cambium C17 to my Trek FXS6, and I think my ass is finally agreeing to the upgrade!

IMG_0256.jpg IMG_0267 (2).jpg
    Bors, FlagRS, caycek5 and 2 others like this.
  5. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    With those "universal" threaded steerer replacement forks, you need to make sure the stem's expander wedge/cone is well below the threads. This means that even if the stem height is set at or below the min insertion mark, it may be too high.
  6. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    ^Correct. I have seen the threaded portion of a fork's steerer split from the force of the wedge expander being overtightened. The split generally occurs in the threaded area and usually on the backside where the slot is milled for the headset's no-turn washer; the metal is very thin at that point. You don't usually see this on a stock threaded fork but usually on the chromed universal replacement ones.
  7. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I'm a "husky" dude. Always have been. But I've considered myself athletic to some extent. I can literary get on a treadmill and run 3 miles like it's nothing at any given time. With that being said....

I haven't ridden a bike in probably 10 years. Whenever you think you're a bad mofo (I do sometimes), and can just do anything like it's nothing, get on a mountain bike in the NC mountains. It will freaking crush you. I thought I was gonna die a few times today.

Being the hard head that I am, I'm gonna keep riding and get fit enough to rip UP and down the mountain.

First ride on my new Kona Honzo ST (right) with my buddy:

[​IMG]
  8. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep! Nothing like a good uphill to make you realize, as Clint said “a mans gotta know his limitations”......
    Keep pushing it. 43DA0F6C-E12E-4644-89AE-BE0377EA8618.jpeg
    Bors, nuggets, 225 and 1 other person like this.
  9. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's the plan.
  10. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    'Fattenduro' now be its name.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Finding new ways to ride 20190504_180057.jpg
    Tallbastid, FlagRS, fullmonte and 5 others like this.
  12. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used vittoria tires with graphene??
    They seem reasonably priced.
    Riding in the desert I’m looking for puncture resistance and durability not real concerned with wet weather handling.
    But they claim on the website that it improves all aspects of the rubber compounds .
    Graphene seems to be a pretty good technology.
  13. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    this would be a better question for the Bicycle thread over in
    Home Forums Home Fluff Sports

my tip for dealing with punctures would be to use tubes with sealant in them, and then use whatever tire you prefer; this gives you the ride you want, with protection from multiple punctures. (i don't believe any tire compound that might protect me from punctures is going to give me the supple and grippy ride that i want.)
    Specialized Airlock tubes have worked the best for me. i use them in my commuter bike, MTB, CX; basically everything except for my most GoFast road bikes (where i use Latex tubes).

14. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even on the road bike or use slime tubes and tires with a good reputation for puncture resistance
    On the mountain bike I definitely don’t want to get caught out in the desert fixing a flat with no shade so I’m not going to go to tubeless just looking for the best tires combined with the tubes
    The whole graphene material is pretty interesting one atom thick That can be layered and even be bulletproof so it’s pretty interesting to see where this will go
  15. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I literally just spooned on a set of the Vittoria Terreno Dry in 700x33 on my HED Belgium+ yesterday. The plan is to race them at DK200 in a few weeks. They are mounted tubeless w/ Orange Seal. Graphene was one of the factors that nudged me to try them... the flint hills of KS should be a good test platform.
    CA_Strom and fz6kd7 like this.
  16. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    Good luck in the DK! Let us know how the tires work out!
    Ridge likes this.
  17. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for information sake; they were TIGHT to mount and took a lot of elbow grease to bend that last section over the rim edge. Once mounted though, they seated on the bead with the first hit of the compressor. They spec’d out to 35.5mm aired up to 45psi. There is a warning on the sidewall that states to mount only to hooked rims, if that makes a difference.
  18. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the dirty kanza live up to its reputation?
    200 is definitely high mileage on dirt roads
    But are the conditions overrated?
    Best of luck to you
  19. cresmond

cresmond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here own an ebike? How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one for commuting.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theres an electric bike thread in shinny things, plus some great electric bike forums if you want high end advice. Once you've ridden a cheetah, pussy bikes are just too mild