1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your european & east european two strokes. Two strokes

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by MATTY, Sep 7, 2014.

1. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Back in my misspent youth, an older friend of mine had a 360 challenger (1968) used it in the local scramble club near where i grew up, it was 1973 fueled by last nights beer input he awoke bright and early one Saturday and decided to go out and do a little practice and get ready for Sundays racing.
    That greaves was a beast as i remember it although i never did ride it as i was far too young.
    The bike sadly met its end that very morning buried in the unnamed railway crossing gates at the end of the lane leading to the practice field. Rider broke his collar bone and left thema, the bike was left damaged at his fathers farm in a shed unloved for ten or more years.
    And was sold at the farm auction when they closed the farm, i was at the auction buying a ford tractor, that bike made 22 pounds :lol3, and at the time i simply did not have enough money left to buy it. Wish i had. :-)
    spokester likes this.
  2. Chestnuthillguitars

Chestnuthillguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Maico collection!
    dynodave likes this.
  3. Chestnuthillguitars

Oddometer:
    Some of my Maicos. This is a super low hour 1981 490, that is still on its original piston with excellent compression. It is being restored with all NOS original parts where needed, including a NOS Metzeler rear tire, Akront rims, and some of the hardware, otherwise the near new original parts, including the front Metzeler tire that is still excellent, original plastics, etc. It will be the sister bike to the 81 250 below, and a garage queen.

IMG_6996.JPG

This is my 81 MC250. It is also a super low hr original bike, still on its original tires, piston, ETC. It had some period hop up parts on it including, Fox Factory Shox, and Thor alloy swingarm.

IMG_6317.JPG

This is my very rare 81 400 (not many 400s were made in 81), modded up and currently raced. It has a rare vintage Don Gibbs reed 490 ported cylinder, 40mm Bing 55 magnesium 55 carb. M/O Racing reed pipe, 1998 RM 250 forks reworked to use the standard 81 Maico drum brake, modern sized 21" and 19" Excel rims, shaved seat, 2008 Honda CRF front number plate, and Cycra Powerflow rear fender, a 1978 Maico Magnum alloy tank modded to fit the 81 frame, and other stuff, like ASV levers/perches, wide footpegs, billet brake pedal and head stay.

IMG_2357.JPG

Same bike getting some updates this year, including the modded 1981 KTM 495 swingarm to fit the bike, and a new set of Race Tech G3-S shocks (still waiting for them)

IMG_6977.JPG
    Scoozi, lnewqban, JHG67 and 4 others like this.
  4. Chestnuthillguitars

Oddometer:
    This is my 81 490 also modded up and currently raced. It also has a rare vintage Don Gibbs reed 490 ported cylinder, 40mm Bing 55 magnesium 55 carb. M/O Racing reed pipe (just got it but it is not mounted in this pic), 1998 RM 250 forks, front wheel, brake, fender and front number plate, modern sized 21" and 19" Excel rims, shaved seat, 2008 Honda CRF450 Cycra Powerflow rear fender, a 1978 Maico Magnum alloy tank modded to fit the 81 frame, 1981 KTM 495 modded swingarm, vintage rebuilt Fox Factory Shox and other stuff, like ASV levers/perches, wide footpegs, billet brake pedal and head stay.

IMG_6009.JPG

This is a 81 250 with a 81 490 motor in it. Its a nice resto, with repro plastics, some billet, and nice clean original parts. I built it from spare parts I accumulated over the years. It is going to be displayed in the Bar / restaurant my wife and I own, when I get a chance to hang it from the ceiling!

IMG_3404.JPG
    Scoozi, lnewqban, JHG67 and 4 others like this.
  5. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ultra-super sweet Maicos! I see Unadilla in the background. I spent the summer on 1979 in upstate New York and bought a MX 5 Can Am from a Maico dealer named Williamsville Welding near Aurora NY. I'm curious if you ever heard of them. At the time he had a new in the crate 125cc rotary valve Maico. Nice bikes :clap
  6. Chestnuthillguitars

Oddometer:
    No, sorry, I never heard of them. I moved to upstate NY about 8 years ago, I live right off Lake Ontario. Been going to Unadilla (its about 1 1/2 hrs away from me) almost every year since I have been here, and go every year for the MX Rewind. I love that place!!!!
    spokester likes this.
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's super cool! I went to the GP at Unadilla in '79 and saw the Bob Hannah/Kent Howerton show and some amazing Russian riders on stock KTMs. Those New Yorkers sure knew how to party. Some were walking around with beer kegs on backpack frames drinking as they went, some had erected massive construction site scaffolding with a party tower at the top. I guess you probably couldn't get away with that nowdays.:freaky
    Gravity Cavity!:ricky
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  8. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chestnuthillguitars. Your collection ain't too bad either! I've been following your current resto. Very nice.
  9. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard of Williamsville Welding spokester. I once bought a Maico that had their shop decal on it. That is the extent of my knowledge on them though.
    spokester likes this.
  10. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    He He, small world! I have a sew on patch from those guys somewhere!
  11. Chestnuthillguitars

Oddometer:
    I wish I was there in 79 to see that!!! Yeah from all of the stories I have heard of Dilla even as late as the 90s, it has been toned down a whole bunch. They do not even let you bring a 12 oz can of beer in there now, unless you sneak it in or are pitted in there for the Nationals!!! For the MX Rewind, no problem though!!!
    FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  12. Iron_Angel

Iron_Angel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto rat. He is alive. After winter sleep.
    Russia. Oryol (Eagle) city. "Pridonki" grup. They are live near the Don river.
  13. toslow

toslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    70 Stiletto 250

DSC06105.JPG

DSC06111.JPG
    Scoozi, JohnE65c, dynodave and 6 others like this.
  14. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Taken during a ride out at an MZ Riders Club rally at Tighnabruaich, Argyll, Scotland last weekend.

Attached Files:

15. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Its a Planeta sport fuel tank, but what is the radial finned head from?.
    Is there a type of competition version of the Planeta sport 350 in Russia?

Sorry for asking lots of questions but i like and own Planeta Sports myself and i am interested in the technical history and details of them and similar Russian bikes.
    spokester likes this.
  16. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I have just been given a Russian trials bike well i think its Russian, by a old friend from over the border in Scotland.
    Its called an RTX T 212 its an old twin shock bike, and i am guessing its late 80s to 1990s in age.
    Frame is chrome and surface rust:lol3, looks a decent geometry and its light for a bike of its type.
    It has decent compression seems to go through the gears think there are four gears, bike is covered in dust from years in a barn, the plastics well fibre glass i think they are, and are faded red in colour and in ok condition regards cracks etc.
    Front forks are the most worrying part they are very rusty don’t think they will clean up might need them hard chroming they look bad.
    Its complete from what i can tell, i just did a bit of online research on the RTX online the jury seems to be out on if they are Russian made or Just some Russian parts with a frame from England OR if it was just assembled in England, either way parts are going to be non existent, but i thought i recognised the engine in it or at least the head and barrel as a Minsk 125 engine, found some spec from the nett looks like a bored and stroked minsk engine in them, so minsk spares could give some parts i suppose, cases look slightly different than i remember on this bike though.
    A few kicking about online for sale but very little else about them online.

I just rode up this morning to see the bike, and will be picking it up one night after work this week or next Saturday, so sorry no pictures yet, but will post some up in the fullness of time.
    As any body here any info on these RTXs and or the Minsk engines generally ? Im guessing this is some sort of derivative of the minsk 125 engine, its not identical in the side cases from what i remember, when i looked online at minsk engines.
    Any help or info appreciated here thank you. Matty.

In the meantime here is a taster picture off the WWW to give you an idea what an RTX T212 looks like.

[​IMG]
  17. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    220px-Puch_Doppelkolben.jpg Inside a twingle Twingle cutaway.jpg
    dynodave, AlpinaE24, Rokoneer and 3 others like this.
  18. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    The MZ ETZ box frame as always impressed me with its simplicity and lightweight yet strong construction, having a ETZ 125 frame and engine still left over from an early German Made ETZ, i could not help but notice the quite similar design to the British Scorpion trials bikes from the 1960s , these generaly Villiers powered bikes look that similar i dont believe if anyone wanted to Use the MZ frame and Power train to Build a Look Alike it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to make a club trial or knock about trials machine on a tight budget with the look of a old British Classic.
    Just a thought to perhaps use a few spare parts and create your own Hobby Trials Toy.

Link to CPs Exellent BSA otter page on the Scorpion, Take a look i think they are quite similar on the frame to the ETZs.
    http://www.bsaotter.com/scorpion_sportsters_march_1963..html
    spokester likes this.
  19. moilami

moilami pr0 n00b

Oddometer:
    20170629_0008.jpg

20170710_0003_01.jpg

Mine Jawa Style 350 Type 640 :) The best Two Stroke! At least it beat all other manufacturers :)
    Steadwood, guzzirelic and spokester like this.
  20. Steadwood

Steadwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thiis is my east european 2 stroke , Jawa 250/559 is a 1970 model that I bought recently ,great fun to ride though I have to remember the gear change sequence is upside down compared to my other bikes , up for first and down for the higher gears . JAWA 250.jpg
    spokester likes this.