Show us your Tacoma

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nigelcorn, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Maslin

Maslin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Imagine 90mph traffic in an '83 SR5! It's made the trip from Eugene/Portland to Missoula more times than I'd like to recall. 3rd gear wide open at 40mph over some of those passes :lol2

Truck is back from its 5k service. Software update to the radio, cruise lever cover ordered, and "unable to duplicate" on my mystery clunk. They didn't say a word about the burning smell on the highway.
  2. lancelazor

lancelazor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I realize the short stroke, high rpm motors is the norm today. Toyota no doubt, makes a fairly bullet proof drivetrain. I get that the 6 speed auto trans is necessary to keep the engine running in the meaty part of the power band. Just slightly depressing the gas to accelerate just a little results in an immediate down shift, and that surprised me at first. I get the 3.5L doesn't have the torque of my old Silverado K1500 with the 4.7L, but when I want to accelerate from 75 mph to 85 mph, in the old truck, I don't feel like I'm thrashing the motor. All this being said, I really like this rig.
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    hauling some other cargo besides the moto, think it was 7 total from a two day hunting trip. Spent most of the time cleaning deer. Wish the buck didn't have a broken rack.

Have the SR-5 package in standard cab with buckets and 5-speed manual with the 2.7 ltr 4 banger.

[​IMG]

out in the mountains with the girlfriend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BigEasy likes this.
  4. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 93DAB071-FD73-4730-A08D-E9AA2027DA54.jpeg 82F7C45E-3428-4F02-9D75-CC9100E853A3.jpeg
  5. DRock_690

DRock_690 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2000 with 2.7liter and TRD supercharger. Old Man Emu suspension. 229k miles. Probably parting with it soon. :cry
    Photo Mar 14, 6 05 16 PM.jpg
  6. DRock_690

DRock_690 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another 4 cylinder 5 speed. My brother's now. It was a company truck until one of our employees totalled it while texting. I got my paws on it and sold it to my brother, he replaced the front end and has been driving the piss out of it. Was whooped years ago. We overloaded it and took it up and down mountains all over the east coast. I must have lost the picture of the odometer he sent me of 333333. IMG_5142.JPG
  7. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    B5E46947-9A86-439E-B103-6F247D7A7F00.jpeg

These Tacoma’s are great!

Uh, I know it’s the wrong truck but I have been hitting the bourbon in celebration of my first beach trip in the new truck. Looked at the Tacoma, but picked up this Pro-4X for $26.6k. It seems nobody wants a 6sp mt anymore? Well,,,, except for me! Carry on !
    12bridn, OConnor, _Harry_ and 2 others like this.
  8. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    WOOT! SCORE!!!

Found a guy on Clist selling an '06 with a Leer cap and emailed him to see if he would part the cap. At first he wasn't interested but he found his market didn't want them. He sold the truck this week and I snagged the cap today for $500.00. It's not perfect but the little flaws are totally offset by saving $2,000.00:clap:clap:clap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    _Harry_ likes this.
  9. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    2010 access cab TRD Offroad.
    So far only additions are snorkel, sliders & tonneu cover riding on 265-75-16's. Soon as I sell my bike, I plan on heavily investing on personalizing it more & having it ready for next years Roaming Rally.
  10. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice TRD but you lost me at the snorkel :fpalm. Maybe if I lived where I regularly forded 4 foot rivers but I think they look pretty silly

To each their own though :freaky
    imnothng likes this.
  11. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    snow, very deep snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ruffus likes this.
  12. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Take a look at some Roaming Rally pic's from the past on this site. Plenty of water crossing where a snorkel can be considered cheap insurance, It also provides cleaner air on dusty gravel roads & trails, plus it acts as a ram air induction for a wee bit more performance.
    P.S. and the really deep snow we get LOL
  13. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    Hey it’s your truck your money. I read all the arguments for snorkels in the Lexy thread.

But - ram air induction ? Through a Tacoma intake with a snorkel bolted on?

Increased performance you say?

:imaposer
    Uke and Yard Sale like this.
  14. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup. Makes sense, cleaner cooler air with the air inlet opened up to a larger diameter & the snorkel hood acting as a scoop.
  15. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    There is only one intake mod on the 4.0 that produces any measurable performance gains and it is called a Magnuson (or TRD) supercharger. CAIs, snorkels, hi flow air filters? :nah Look at the dynos posted at TacomaWorld.
    Uke, ausfahrt and silsen like this.
  16. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Got a link for snorkel dyno testing?
  17. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my 08
    [​IMG]
    BigEasy likes this.
  18. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I've excercised 4 Lo a little and tried to engage the locking diff, but the red light just blinks, which means it's not locking. Steady means it's locked, right? What else do I have to do? Stop, shift into N, transfer into 4 Lo, press locker button. (2003 TRD)
    Davethestick likes this.
  19. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    The locker only engages <5mph. Here's the procedure I use:

Stop, engage 4lo, drive a bit, stop. Push locker button. Drive forward slowly, steering right/left to engage the locker (steering step unnecessary if sliding around in a mud/snow bog :lol3). The light should now be solid.

If it still doesn't light up, the actuator is frozen. Time for a rebuild, there's a good writeup HERE.
  20. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    Tell me about that trailer you have back there :ear Will it fit 2 bikes?