Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my 1989 Transalp with 14,428 miles on it. Unsure what to ask for it. Currently running 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. It is a Honda sprocket, fused accessory outlet, Seatconcepts seat (new this year), SW Motech bashguard and factory one. New Dunlop tires, spare CDI. Running bigger front brake - Hawk rotor with stock caliper and gizmo to rotate caliper out to accommodate bigger rotor. Tool Tube is attached to Givi crashbars with full factory toolkit. Comes with small tank bag and shop manual. Extras.

Bike runs very well. What is good asking price?

see flea market. More pictures on CL

Attached Files:

2. Speedebump

Speedebump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skeptic.
    I live in AZ, and am always watching for Transalps on Craigslist in L.A and Phoenix. The ones that sell seem to be priced between $2200 and $2800. If you go to the Flea Market section on this site, you can do a search for Transalp, and see what they are selling for here as well. There are rare example of restored bikes selling for a lot more, but those are not the norm.
    Good luck.
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Had to take the dang tank off again this afternoon. The left side petcock, for some reason, decided to start seeping a little gas. Still don't know if it was the hose/clamp or the nut holding on the petcock. I'm gettin good at R&Ring the tank. Not a big in demand skill set. :lol3

Does anyone remember which petcocks that work best on the AT tanks ? IIRC Ladder106 had that figured out at one time. I just might get some new ones....Just in case.

edit: found it...http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...lp-modifications.39170/page-525#post-14714141
  4. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    The old AT valves will leak internally. This usually happens when turning the valve on before a ride.

If you hear a squeaking sound or the valve feels sticky, look for fuel oozing out between the part of the valve that moves and the valve body. That's the internal seal going bad from age, dirt, silly CA fuel, etc.

Fuel valves from the NT650 Hawk are the same external shape as the AT valves and will clear the TA water lines. They work on both the right and left side (I just replaced mine a month ago).

These valves have a "reserve" position so the normal "ON" position draws fuel from a brass tube that protrudes into the tank and will give you about 1.5 gallons still in the bottom of the tank when the bike stops running.

When you first see the valves you'll think that they wont fit up inside the tank - but they will.

You can also trim back the brass tube to change the amount of fuel left before hitting "reserve". That means that you have to remove or cut the nice nylon filter screen. Running the valves in the "reserve" position will let the fuel go down to the very bottom of the tank - so to duplicate the AT valve you can just run the NT valves in the "reserve" position. That's what I do and didn't bother to mod the brass pickup tube.

And, yeah, that tiny O-ring in the bottom of the valve is all that stands between the fuel tank and having 7 gallons of Chevron all over your garage floor. Sooooo - be VERY careful when tightening the large nut on the valve. It should be tight but too much will crush the O-ring and result in a leak. It looks like a poorly designed system but it has kept the fuel on the inside for 25 years.
  5. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Skeptic,

It all depends on how fast you want to make a sale.

TA prices used to be quite high and a low(ish) miles bike like yours can usually be priced at the upper end of the range.

BUT

TA prices have fallen since the new Africa Twin has arrived and is selling so well. Most new riders want ABS and all the electrickery available on new bikes. Carbs and low-tech is no longer popular (except for some of the Luddites on this thread).

It's November and most of the world is thinking about winter sports. Even in SoCal its more dirt-bike season after the first rain and the dust gets settled down.

So you're working against several disadvantages.

I'd be interested in taking a hard look at it. How many owners has the bike been through and what's your maintenance schedule been like?
  6. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:

O ring to be concerned about ...........

Attached Files:

7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny

Oddometer:
    My 98 Red has finally arrived from the Netherlands, plus all the old parts I swapped out when modernising the bike. Still have take the bike through NZ compliance before I can ride it legally on our roads

20171118_121627.jpg
  8. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Sweet
    :thumb
  9. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I like that shipping container, very simple yet effective. Enjoy the adventure..........
    Dirtpatch and MrKiwi like this.
  10. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Speaking of shipping.......my NOS Transalp crank arrived today by Japan post.:happay

It's the correct part number and looks like it's been sitting for quite a while.

Last one left ???? Who knows

[​IMG]

MegaZip did well. I'm impressed. They found the part, updated me on payment and shipping and sent a tracking number so I could be home to receive and box and sign for it.

Going to try them on a few other NLA bits and see what happens.

If one positive experience is anything to go by, I'd recommend giving them a go
    BOBaloo22, Dutch idiot and MrKiwi like this.
  11. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    That is great news, I can see you grinning from here!
  12. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    I am glad, MegaZip worked out fine. Succes with the rebuild. :-)
  13. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Ray yesterday I could see your picture. Today I see the photobucket ransom notice.... weird.
  14. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem.
  15. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Yep all my photos are gone.

Glad you used the word "ransom". I'm feeling like that's what it is.

I have no problem when a site I didn't pay for changes the rules.

But

It would have bee nice to know in advance.

Plus

They seem to have removed the option to allow you to download your photos back to your computer.....that IMHO is was makes it a "kidnapping"

.......and $400 a year is the "ransom" to get them back...WOW..

My prediction is that they will crumble.
    mas335 and Dutch idiot like this.
  16. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny

Oddometer:
    Indeed...
  17. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

I partially think the same way. Resisted EFI for years til I purchased a 500xc-w and rode it to 13,000 feet and it was flawless when the 960 I rode there became an Asthmatic Donkey above 8,000 feet over 65mph.

I don't know if I will ever sell my 89 TA I bought new and my 950 is too worn out (133,000 miles) to be worth anything. I liked it enough to purchase a newer low mileage 950S model, it's a sweet ride but the new 1090R runs circles around it without all the electronics of the 1290. So far the $ difference is keeping that 950S in the garage. $6,000 vs $14,000
  18. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I'm not entirely against EFI. But I'm as asthmatic donkey above 8000 ft myself so I could hardly blame a bike.

The question to ask is how often are you going to ride to those altitudes.

The thing I like about the new Africa Twin (at least the 16 and 17) is that the injector butterflies are connected to the twist grip with a cable.

I like that

The 1090 (a brilliant bike that I was lucky to ride for an hour or so) and the new 18 AT both use the "ride by wire" throttle.

THAT is was I just can't fathom on a dirt-bike. The thought of an electrical rheostat in my right hand and tiny servo-motors opening and closing the butterflies while I blast through the mud, water and sand.

A broken throttle cable I can cope with

.............and BTW the one other thing I didn't like with the 1090 was the amount of heat coming up from the rear cylinder onto my thighs. I could feel it quite a bit at 75 degrees - I wouldn't want to try it at 102.
  19. paquo

paquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing arrow pipes and a slightly richer map can't fix. On the upside of the rbw on the 1090 the fueling is pretty good in contrast to past fi ktm twins
  20. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer: